• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your opinions on Subscription Creases

18 posts in this topic

Greetings Boardies,

As a collector, how do you feel about purchasing CGC graded books with a "subscription crease."

For example, the book looks beautiful, but the grade is 6.0, and the notes mention, "Subscription Crease."

From what I can tell it brings the book down quite a bit, for what is otherwise a gorgeous book with White Pages in this example.

Do you feel it is part of the history of collecting comics, or do you steer clear?

Thank you for your opinions!

(My first time to come upon this!)

For me it depends on the book and the severity of the crease. If its mostly on the back with just a few corresponding breaks on the front I don't have a big prob with it on a otherwise nice and fresh SA key. If there's a solid white line on the front, I tend to pass.

Its a little hard to see, but that looks like what I meant by a more acceptable type...the line appears to be on the back with just a couple indications on the top and bottom center of the front cover. Depending on the price I might be able to live with it...probably around 1200-1500 maybe?

As a collector of mid grade books, there's nothing better than sub creases. They are a really great "bang for buck" defect. Really sharp copies that would otherwise be high grade books get hammered for them, which makes for a really nice clean mid grade book.

Call me selfish.

I had an argument with a dealer years ago that believed any comic with a subscription crease was an automatic VG. I disagreed, and felt it was possible to squeeze a Fine the odd time. So, thanks for starting this thread because up until now I wasn't sure who was right.

As a collector of mid grade books, there's nothing better than sub creases. They are a really great "bang for buck" defect. Really sharp copies that would otherwise be high grade books get hammered for them, which makes for a really nice clean mid grade book.

Call me selfish.

On the back? All day! On the front? I'd rather a reading crease running down the book near the spine. Then, I'd rather a long color breaking corner crease. I like centerfold creases less than those. Edge wear is always better than something running across the middle.

technically you are both right. back in early 80s a book with subscription crease was a VG. But comic books change with things like grading and now books that are perfect almost except subscription crease are given a 6.0 grade

I had an argument with a dealer years ago that believed any comic with a subscription crease was an automatic VG. I disagreed, and felt it was possible to squeeze a Fine the odd time. So, thanks for starting this thread because up until now I wasn't sure who was right.

Yeah, this is for years what I was taught as well. Right on through the 90s: no "Fine" grade for a book with a major crease (over 2"). Subsc. crease was major. So at best VG or VG+, maybe at the extreme a VG/F, but since that grade includes an "F" that was what we debated over (me and whomever).

I like that if it's imperceptible or nearly so a book can be a FN.

I'm personally more put off by the miscut that leaves a prominent white stripe along the spine because back cover rolled over to front. Yuck. Still, see many in very high grades with that (non grade reducing) affliction.

I'm the same way Grebal. I had my eyes peeled for the right 7.0 or 8.0, but I wanted a perfect wrap and WPs. This one showed up on the bay and I thought shoot, this one is pretty nice and I could save some bucks! I bet if it didn't have the faint subs crease on the back it would have been a 9.0!