• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

I bought a BG 12 at the last show I was at. The dealer had two copies on their wall.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

I bought a BG 12 at the last show I was at. The dealer had two copies on their wall.

Well you are perfect and have an answer for everything.

6 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Well you are perfect and have an answer for everything.

Thanks, you're not too bad yourself.

But my point was that everyone has different experiences of what they can find and what they don't find. You named two books that you can't find and there are people in other parts of the country / world that can find them. There are other commenters who feel it for whatever reason necessary to tell people posting that books are not hard to find. Really no reason for that.

I found the Xmen 423 Error a few months ago in the wild and I've been obsessed with finding it's companion Avengers 77 (492). 

http://www.recalledcomics.com/Avengers77PriceError.php

Does anyone now how much this goes for raw?   Has it ever been sold on the boards?   I might end up biting the bullet and buying it.  

Edited by Wolverinex

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

I found the Xmen 423 Error a few months ago in the wild and I've been obsessed with finding it's companion Avengers 77 (492). 

Does anyone now how much this goes for raw?   Has it ever been sold on the boards?   I might end up biting the bullet and buying it.  

I haven't paid much attention to the Avengers 77 sales. I have noticed that a few copies of X-Men 423 have sold for surprising low prices at auction this year. If I was you, I would be patient and wait for the next auction to see what happens. Those books may have cooled off.

16 minutes ago, Davidone said:

I haven't paid much attention to the Avengers 77 sales. I have noticed that a few copies of X-Men 423 have sold for surprising low prices at auction this year. If I was you, I would be patient and wait for the next auction to see what happens. Those books may have cooled off.

Good, with an estimated run of 50-200 ish, I intend on picking some up.  I just rarely ever see an avengers 77... has anyone here ever found them in the wild?

49 minutes ago, Davidone said:

There was a whole newsstand bundle of X-Men sold at the beginning of the year. It still had the straps on it.

Edited by ygogolak

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Good, with an estimated run of 50-200 ish, I intend on picking some up.

That "estimate" is absolutely worthless.

37 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

There was a whole newsstand bundle of X-Men sold at the beginning of the year.

Of Uncanny X-Men 423? The error or the regular edition?

Just now, Lazyboy said:

That "estimate" is absolutely worthless.

Of Uncanny X-Men 423? The error or the regular edition?

It was the error. I thought I had a screen shot of it but can't find it now. I'll look again.

4 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

I know one person that for sure has a copy and another I suspect has one. After that good luck its much harder to find then the X-Men brother.

20 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
20 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

Like I said before, contribute something of substance to this thread

I have in the past. I don't look for "rare" stuff specifically, so I don't have anything new to add. I guess I could wag my weenie and post pics of my copies of books that have been previously mentioned, but that doesn't really contribute anything, does it?

especially if you think it's played out (I mean, why even come to this thread at all then?)

Because there's always the chance that somebody has posted something interesting. Admittedly, there's usually the disappointment that they haven't, which is why I don't visit this thread very often.

While some of you may find these books in large supplies at your local comic shops, I do not. Isn't that what this thread is all about?

That's what I thought when I was contributing. I was posting about books I expected to see but rarely or never did (which I thought was the whole point) and certain people told me that my contributions were garbage.

It was interesting early on seeing the differing experiences that people had. Like I said earlier in the thread that I had never seen a copy of New Titans 130 (in person) and now you say you've found 10 of them. Silver Surfer 146 was mentioned early on and, while I do believe it's not that easy to find, I wouldn't have mentioned it because of my personal experience.

Then the thread devolved into posting variants (yes, I'm including Newsstand editions in that description) that people shouldn't expect to find very often, which goes against the stated intent from the OP and is boring. Finding stuff you didn't expect to find is a different topic.

Let the guy post what he wants. A lot of his books are sometimes very difficult to find especially in the wild. 

Post all you want Mike just put the guy on ignore.

1 hour ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:
9 hours ago, Pirate said:

I don't see Power Girl 27's or Batgirl 12's in the wild.  

I bought a PG27 for $1 a few months ago at a small show on Saturday and sold it at another show on Sunday for $80.

I would agree on PG27 still be out there in the wild. I got one last year online at a flea market for $10 and couldn't pay fast enough.

10 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I would agree on PG27 still be out there in the wild. I got one last year online at a flea market for $10 and couldn't pay fast enough.

I missed the PG27 and a Moon Knight 55 in a dollar box at a convention in Huntington, WV, this month. Two guys pulled them out as I looked at boxes on down the way. Made me rethink which boxes to start with at booths at a show.

Here are a few more I found this week that I've never seen before or that I've never found in the wild, until this week:

X-Men 2099 #35, a final issue which I had never found in any collection or store.

Spider-Man Unlimited #5 - I didn't know this series even existed and I've never seen any of the issues from it until yesterday.

Steel #52, the last issue that I've never been able to find.

Encyclopaedia Deadpoolica. I've seen a couple of these on the walls of comic dealers at conventions, but never in a longbox.

Justice League International #70 FOURTH printing. Super rare and the first I've found.

Masters of teh Universe Preview, reprinting the comic preview insert from the 1980s, which came in the Toys R Us two-pack of DC vs. the Masters of the Universe. I've only ever seen one other copy of this.

xmen2099spidermanunlimited5steel52.jpg

justiceleague70fourthprint.jpg

deadpoolica.jpg

mastersoftheuniversepreview.jpg

As a moderately obsessed Spidey completionist, I ignored that kid show v2 Unlimited series for years and years......then when I saw the whole 5 issue run together in dollar boxes at a convention.... I grabbed 'em. :facepalm:

Edited by bababooey

Oh and here's my 'in the wild' find.  A few years ago, before I knew what it was while filling holes from a collecting 'vacation' I paid 2 or 3 bucks for the ASM 408 white connecting cover variant.  At some point I also grabbed Spiderman 63 but I think that was an ebay throw in....now I've seen and passed on Sensational 1 for less than $10, that seems like the most common one but have never seen a Spectacular Spiderman 231 'in the wild'....