• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Found these all in the 25 cent to 1 dollar bin today

909109714_ScreenShot2018-07-01at9_52_21PM.thumb.png.976283f80eda2733960cbc7c80d68fdf.png

I just found 20 copies of Bloodshot 6 in a longbox of quarter books. All were gradable copies. I don't think any of those that you found are rare (some of those had VERY high print runs ... well, ALL of them had VERY high print runs), but, I will be honest, the Legionaires is one I have only found once - last Friday in a dollar box. All of the Valiants from that time had extremely high print runs. The problem was, very few people were actually reading them. When they did start to read the Valiants from that time period, they realized just how bad they were and they realized that the print runs were so high that they weren't rare anymore and that it was no longer a safe bet to speculate on them and the dumping began. I like to call that period "The Fool's Gold Age".

2 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

Found these in dollar boxes:

Maxx 35 - last issue

Hardware 50 - last issue

Hardware 49 - Moebius cover, next to last issue

Justice League America (International) 113 - last issue

Spectre 62 - last issue

Justice League Unlimited 46 - last issue

Batman: Gotham Adventures 10 - Harley Quinn appearance

maxx35.jpg

hardware50.jpg

hardware49.jpg

justiceleague113.jpg

spectre62.jpg

justiceleagueunlimited46.jpg

gothamadventures10.jpg

Awesome on the Maxx 35. 

I've been looking for that Gotham 10 for quite some time but haven't run into it yet. 

Patrick

1 minute ago, followtheleader said:

Awesome on the Maxx 35. 

I've been looking for that Gotham 10 for quite some time but haven't run into it yet. 

Patrick

All these caught my eye. I know high-number issues of The Maxx sell well, so I grabbed the 35. I know ANYTHING with Harley Quinn on it from that period is worth buying for a dollar. I knew the two Hardware issues were probably scarce just like the Static last issue, so I grabbed them. I hardly ever see Justice League 113, Justice League Unlimited 46 and Spectre 62, which is why I picked all those up. I don't collect any of these, but they were cool and rare so I figured I'd buy them.

9 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

I just found 20 copies of Bloodshot 6 in a longbox of quarter books. All were gradable copies. I don't think any of those that you found are rare (some of those had VERY high print runs ... well, ALL of them had VERY high print runs), but, I will be honest, the Legionaires is one I have only found once - last Friday in a dollar box. All of the Valiants from that time had extremely high print runs. The problem was, very few people were actually reading them. When they did start to read the Valiants from that time period, they realized just how bad they were and they realized that the print runs were so high that they weren't rare anymore and that it was no longer a safe bet to speculate on them and the dumping began. I like to call that period "The Fool's Gold Age".

Good to know.  The Hard Corps is a comic Defense fund variant.  Not sure what the print run is on that. 

11 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Good to know.  The Hard Corps is a comic Defense fund variant.  Not sure what the print run is on that. 

Actually, Comic Defense System was a brand of comic protectors that were hard sleeves with flaps that tucked into a band on the back. If you bought a box of them, you got a copy of the Hard Corps comic. You can get 144 copies in one lot of eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valiant-HARD-CORPS-5-144pc-Count-Comic-Defense-System-No-Cover-Price-Variant/361506208192?hash=item542b72f9c0:g:oSUAAOSwWTRW0JgI

6 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

Actually, Comic Defense System was a brand of comic protectors that were hard sleeves with flaps that tucked into a band on the back. If you bought a box of them, you got a copy of the Hard Corps comic. You can get 144 copies in one lot of eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valiant-HARD-CORPS-5-144pc-Count-Comic-Defense-System-No-Cover-Price-Variant/361506208192?hash=item542b72f9c0:g:oSUAAOSwWTRW0JgI

144 copies? That's pretty gross...I mean that's a gross! Lol! :takeit:

Not a bad little haul for 50 cent books... the New Avengers and ASM are newsstand editions, and that non foil Thor #25 is surprisingly hard to find. I'm really excited about that DC vs Marvel #4 DCU, as that seems pretty elusive.

A81DE4DC-747B-4DA1-82F2-8C9242457362.jpeg

2F226F5D-2037-425C-AC49-1BCAD4037949.jpeg

825316D3-8C79-45D1-8245-E1631ADCCD0A.jpeg

Edited by BishopT

On 7/1/2018 at 10:55 PM, Michael Browning said:

Not entirely accurate about what happened. The early Valiants were well done and had fairly low print runs for the time. The high quality combined with low availability (especially pre-Internet) led to high prices. Once it became generally perceived that buying Valiant books was going to be like printing money, the sales skyrocketed. While the quality maybe fell off a bit for some books (certainly they weren't as bad as the much later Valiant books that had low print runs), the cause of the crash was that there were just far too many books out there and too many people buying multiples of them, for there to be anyone to sell the books to at a profit. When people realized *that,* that's when things crashed. The quality wasn't all that relevant.

3 hours ago, BishopT said:

Not a bad little haul for 50 cent books... the New Avengers and ASM are newsstand editions, and that non foil Thor #25 is surprisingly hard to find. I'm really excited about that DC vs Marvel #4 DCU, as that seems pretty elusive.

A81DE4DC-747B-4DA1-82F2-8C9242457362.jpeg

2F226F5D-2037-425C-AC49-1BCAD4037949.jpeg

825316D3-8C79-45D1-8245-E1631ADCCD0A.jpeg

The thor non enhanced newsstand I have only found once. That dc versus marvel is a great find. I am not sure I have ever seen an asm 544 newstand

U would think though it would be a higher print run due to relaunch.

Edited by fastballspecial

You just better be glad you live a LONG ways away from me. If you were in 300 mile radius of me you wouldn't be finding all that.
Someone move down there he needs some competition.

Yes I am jealous. :slapfight:

BTW that's not a good day. That's a lifetime day.

Edited by fastballspecial

3 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

You just better be glad you live a LONG ways away from me. If you were in 300 mile radius of me you wouldn't be finding all that.
Someone move down there he needs some competition.

Yes I am jealous. :slapfight:

BTW that's not a good day. That's a lifetime day.

I agree....unbelievable grabs.  I've never seen a haul like that for $1 a piece.  I have never come across such finds myself.....what a fantastic hunting ground he has---I am frustratingly jealous!