• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time To Lift The Ban on Voldemort's?

341 posts in this topic

I guess in the end if you slab to collect its not so bad.

I just wouldn't be cracking out any old slabs and I'd be selling those "overgraded" slabs now, before everyone catches on and doesn't want to pay the label premium for an old 9.8 or 9.6 that's today's 9.0-9.4. Those that slab a lot probably already have this all figured out.

Those of us that buy and hold are a bit more blissfully ignorant. Good for me that during this period I've bought some really nice slabs. And I still really like my old slabs as I buy the book not the slab anyway.

The fugly overgraded books will continue to be out there like hot potatoes. From all companies.

If and when other companies start paying the fees associated with hosting this site, it would be appropriate to showcase their merchandise.

Thing is the Coin section is part of this site and Collectors Society allows the showing and even selling of PCGS, ANACS and other non-CGC TPGs.

Rats - I meant non-NGC. Same idea though. :blush:

Then why not allow an open discussion?

Fear

Feels pretty open right now. CGC tolerates us quite a bit, just like we tolerate a lot of stuff they do.

Their sandbox.

New rules would be ok with me though. I've yet to buy or slab from the new company but not saying I won't soon. Especially if a raw 9.6 book ends up a 9.4 cgc or a 9.6 other guy and the difference in value between a 9.4 CGC and a 9.6 other guy isn't there.

The market might be showing different values of 9.6 slabs but when it takes a 9.8 to get a 9.6 CGC is there much value in that.

Just trying to compare apples to apples in value based upon the book. Not the label.

Fear

It is a little more than that I believe.

Steve was the head grader or grader in charge or whatever. He left and went to Heritage while what I assume was to wait out the non compete clause.

Then Steve sought to create his own CGC with the ideas that were most likely ignored by CGC when he was with CGC.

It's not fear. CGC probably feels as if they are being betrayed. It is sour grapes.

I watch it go on in my own job. We lost around 20% over the course of 18 months due to dissatisfaction. Some of those have gone on to MUCH better things and there are quite a few that caused the dissatisfaction that do nothing but badmouth them when their name is brought up.

Fear

I feel this will happen in time. Looking at it from the owner's prospective, an employee, who was once in charge, started his own company. People are human. I look at this as a normal reaction, considering the circumstances. In time, the "hurt" will lessen. The market has room for both companies to flourish. There will be a day when we can discuss both here openly, as it is in the coin forum.

Fear

Steve was the head grader or grader in charge or whatever. He left and went to Heritage while what I assume was to wait out the non compete clause.

Then Steve sought to create his own CGC with the ideas that were most likely ignored by CGC when he was with CGC.

It's not fear. CGC probably feels as if they are being betrayed. It is sour grapes.

I watch it go on in my own job. We lost around 20% over the course of 18 months due to dissatisfaction. Some of those have gone on to MUCH better things and there are quite a few that caused the dissatisfaction that do nothing but badmouth them when their name is brought up.

I've seen similar behavior (bad blood) at my own places of employment, but really, it's all just speculation. No one knows the real reasons do they?

I have to think it'd be more constructive for the conversation to be more about the benefit to the community if all books from all sources can be discussed - there is a community here that has grown over the years, and at least in part, that should be what the forums are about.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe the ban is because CGC doesn't want to facilitate publicizing that a viable competitor exists.

Information is like water. Pretty sure most people here already know CBCS exists.

Fear

Steve's philosophy behind the chat forum was very different than CGC's today.

While Steve worked for CGC he told me that he'd rather have 'dirty laundry' or whatever you want to call it, openly discussed in his own sandbox than in someone else's sandbox on the other side of the internet.

And he's followed through on that philosophy on their new site.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe the ban is because CGC doesn't want to facilitate publicizing that a viable competitor exists.

Most likely the reason. There certainly was never a problem years back when we were posting PGX threads. Although, to be fair, they never allowed sales of those books.

I believe the emergence of a legitimate competitor has been good (for the reasons everyone has already stated).

Fear

While Steve worked for CGC he told me that he'd rather have 'dirty laundry' or whatever you want to call it, openly discussed in his own sandbox than in someone else's sandbox on the other side of the internet.

Makes a great deal of sense to me.

The whole policy of not mentioning the competition is total horse manure here. Fact is CGC is scared and shows it by banning us from even mentioning them.

It's ridiculous. Do you think on the Gibson guitar forum we can't talk about Fender guitars? Of course we can. Any other forum I frequent the competition isn't even a worry. Be confident in your own business.

The other company isn't going away so how about allowing open discussion? Most people are here because they like CGC. Right?

:facepalm:

My 2c ...

I've dropped my signature line out of a lot of my posts because there are a couple of CBCS holders in my sig line, but I refuse to cut the labels off of high grade book scans to appease Harry Potter's wand wavers.

Besides, the books in my sig line aren't being offered for sale anyway, so there's no marketing going on.

Truth is, Steve Borock has had nothing but generous things to say about CGC since the CBCS forum started up. Not only does he allow the display of CGC holders on their site, he's made nice comments on a number of mine.

I'm not sure why this is such a big deal on these forums, but it comes across as petty and insecure. As pointed out, the coin collectors side of the Collector's Society allows display and even sales of coins in other holders. One could not be faulted for seeing these separate forum policies as hypocritical.

Right back at you :facepalm::eyeroll:

I'll second that motion and add this... :blush:

My 2c ...

I've dropped my signature line out of a lot of my posts because there are a couple of CBCS holders in my sig line, but I refuse to cut the labels off of high grade book scans to appease Harry Potter's wand wavers.

Besides, the books in my sig line aren't being offered for sale anyway, so there's no marketing going on.

Truth is, Steve Borock has had nothing but generous things to say about CGC since the CBCS forum started up. Not only does he allow the display of CGC holders on their site, he's made nice comments on a number of mine.

I'm not sure why this is such a big deal on these forums, but it comes across as petty and insecure. As pointed out, the coin collectors side of the Collector's Society allows display and even sales of coins in other holders. One could not be faulted for seeing these separate forum policies as hypocritical.

So says the loyal Potter boardie... :whistle:

Facepalm-cat-300x300.jpg

...with 5.97k artful likes on the Voldy board. :baiting:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Fear

Makes sense to me as well.

Why are we all in spoilers? Is this a RMA solidarity thing?

It got old fast.

I am agreeing... I understand why RMA does it... or at least I think I do. But for everyone else... I am not "getting it" I suppose.