• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Avengers #1 overpriced?

61 posts in this topic

Trying to look at this from a rational point of view, yes the movies are awesome, and the cover is pretty damn awesome, but is the price on this book too inflated? There aren't any 1st appearances as all the characters have been introduced before, so why is it deemed of such great value?

Why is Spiderman #50 value high?

Do villain first appearances matter...

Are Silver age Batman comics valuable?

What's the most you have ever paid for a comic?

If you ever feel bad you spent so much on a comic...

Collectibles are worthless...

:banana:

Why is Spiderman #50 value high?

Do villain first appearances matter...

Are Silver age Batman comics valuable?

What's the most you have ever paid for a comic?

If you ever feel bad you spent so much on a comic...

Collectibles are worthless...

:banana:

My thoughts exactly.

Trying to look at this from a rational point of view, yes the movies are awesome, and the cover is pretty damn awesome, but is the price on this book too inflated? There aren't any 1st appearances as all the characters have been introduced before, so why is it deemed of such great value?

Ask yourself what motivated you to start this thread and your question will answer itself. :idea:

For years guys were saying Avengers 1 was overlooked. Now with the movie bump, guys are saying it's over priced. If a book sells for X. That's not over priced. That's what that comic is worth because guys are paying those prices. Avengers #1 is a MEGA bad azz comic. :headbang:

I think the guys who are saying it is over priced, either don't have one, or do not want one. The guys who think it's not over priced.....have one. Full disclosure. I have one. Anyone stating an opinion, should also let us know where in this spectrum they fall, including the OP. 2c

movies are not awesome , age of ultron is one of the worst super heroes movies of all time

I'll never get this. Just watched it again on Sunday....absolutely loved it again. Like I said in another thread WS, AOU and CW are like no movie trilogy I have seen since Star Wars. I absolutely love, and I mean love that set of flicks.

As for Avengers #1, I'm actually in the market for one right now. What makes it different than an ASM #1 is this it is indeed the first appearance of the Avengers...the freaking Avengers. Before it was just Thor, and just Hulk, and just Iron Man but together they are the Avengers.

Babe Ruth was great, Lou Gehrig was great but put them together and they are the 1927 Yankees.

The Avengers are one of the top three comic book teams of all time, along with JLA and the X-Men. In some people's lists they are #1 and some peoples list they would be #3 but either way that is pretty lofty company. 20th century Fox has built a franchise around their team, the X-Men. DC is now banking on the JLA, and the entire MCU is based on the Avngers and their individual characters.

It's a pre 1965 book, which always seems to be the cutoff for many people when thinking about scarcity.

I actually think it might be undervalued at this point because of the perception that it isn't anybodys first appearance.

For years Avengers #1 and X-Men #1 were always regarded as near mirrors...came out at the same time, were worth identical values in Overstreet for a very long time. Nowadays an X-Men #1 is worth more. That's why I think it's undervalued. Avengers currently outsells X-Men by a very slim margin a month. And Disney is building a movie empire around the team and its members. I think other than Spider-Man it's the biggest, most important property they own.

Jim

movies are not awesome , age of ultron is one of the worst super heroes movies of all time

I'll never get this. Just watched it again on Sunday....absolutely loved it again. Like I said in another thread WS, AOU and CW are like no movie trilogy I have seen since Star Wars. I absolutely love, and I mean love that set of flicks.

As for Avengers #1, I'm actually in the market for one right now. What makes it different than an ASM #1 is this it is indeed the first appearance of the Avengers...the freaking Avengers. Before it was just Thor, and just Hulk, and just Iron Man but together they are the Avengers.

Babe Ruth was great, Lou Gehrig was great but put them together and they are the 1927 Yankees.

The Avengers are one of the top three comic book teams of all time, along with JLA and the X-Men. In some people's lists they are #1 and some peoples list they would be #3 but either way that is pretty lofty company. 20th century Fox has built a franchise around their team, the X-Men. DC is now banking on the JLA, and the entire MCU is based on the Avngers and their individual characters.

It's a pre 1965 book, which always seems to be the cutoff for many people when thinking about scarcity.

I actually think it might be undervalued at this point because of the perception that it isn't anybodys first appearance.

For years Avengers #1 and X-Men #1 were always regarded as near mirrors...came out at the same time, were worth identical values in Overstreet for a very long time. Nowadays an X-Men #1 is worth more. That's why I think it's undervalued. Avengers currently outsells X-Men by a very slim margin a month. And Disney is building a movie empire around the team and its members. I think other than Spider-Man it's the biggest, most important property they own.

Jim

You sold me, very good post, one that actually has value to it instead of the mostly stupid sarcastic responses. Thanks, you've encouraged me to take that step and buy one.