• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,396 posts in this topic

:tonofbricks:

Oh well, let's get this back on track.

I assume you all know that there was a companion back cover series to the ones for the Lone Ranger in the back covers of Tarzan.

Here's for example issue # 13 -

123892.jpg.28dc1c5a9b97e6061b960db9176b86de.jpg

123893.jpg.b4b2610e6e67e22b9e45f821841ef25e.jpg

:tonofbricks:

Oh well, let's get this back on track.

I assume you all know that there was a companion back cover series to the ones for the Lone Ranger in the back covers of Tarzan.

Here's for example issue # 13 -

I didn't know Tarzan had those African Tribesman back covers.

According to GCD, they stopped the Tribesmen at #20 and continued with animals. Do you know if the animal backs were photos?

Photos. Disappointing photos at that too since they are not even shots from live animals but rather shots from various exhibits in Natural History Museums :P For example, in the back of # 21, african white rhinos are featured with the pic from the Nat. Hist. Museum in NYC.

Here's the last Warrior in the series # 13 from the back of issue # 20 -

123894.jpg.6bbfae47878ce70ca916e495c2f46e6f.jpg

Photos. Disappointing photos at that too since they are not even shots from live animals but rather shots from various exhibits in Natural History Museums :P For example, in the back of # 21, african white rhinos are featured with the pic from the Nat. Hist. Museum in NYC.

Here's the last Warrior in the series # 13 from the back of issue # 20 -

Thanks. I really like these warrior and chief backs.

Too bad about the Tarzan animal backs. Lone Ranger did the same thing (museum dall sheep, museum grizzly bear, etc...).

You should collect them + honestly the issues up to circa 20 you would need are the best of the run. After a while Marsh runs out of steam and backgrounds disappear and Tarzan mutates into something not quite human ...

You should collect them + honestly the issues up to circa 20 you would need are the best of the run. After a while Marsh runs out of steam and backgrounds disappear and Tarzan mutates into something not quite human ...

lol I just put #1-20 on my want list before my last post. Now I can take off the question mark though.

lol I just put #1-20 on my want list before my last post. Now I can take off the question mark though.

I had a feeling you were so I decided to push you over the edge.

Before the Chiefs & Warriors series, as Pat posted, you get some nice pin-ups in the back covers that are NOT repeat of the front cover. Here's the one from # 3 which I had handy next to the scanner. Not the most exciting one but in a way, this shot makes Tarzan super-hero like as this is very similar to a lot of McRaboy's Cap Marvel Jr.'s cover work.

P.S.: :gossip: I believe I have a double of issue # 12 that I can mail you so you can better judge the title before committing to leave it on your want list or not. The copy is not up to your typical grade standards though ... but it's not bad either. LMK.

123899.jpg.0e39544875ba646d0650c32a027f4765.jpg