• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,395 posts in this topic

Great books guys :applause: I have that Atomic War! issue on my want list ...

Pre-baby, I had time or I should say the ambition to do more of the following categorizing of activities in Crime books ... but, well, I never find the time.

CrimePic-Pic1.jpg

CrimePic-Pic2.jpg

Sorry that the second panel is not showing as well.

One interesting aspect of these stories is that, as much as the critic of the comic books focused on juvenile deliquency and criminal activities, Law Enforcement (L.E. in the chart) was not innocent + deadly accurate:

while crooks shot 17 times, they killed 11 people, but, thanks to their training (?), the Law Enforcement personel in these stories was deathly accurate: 9 shots fired, 9 crooks dead :o

Still, there are 20 deaths (only one off-panel) so let's say 19 deaths drawn in these few stories, so we get a 19 / 56 = 0.339 deaths per page. In other words, a child would see a death every third page in these crime comics.

I think I need an intervention. I read a Roy Rogers comic today (see below, # 93) and I enjoyed it :blush:

Who had the coolest swag / collectible / merchandise? I saw a LOT of Roy Rogers stuff advertised in the books in the short stack of RR I recently got in the mail? So, did Roy have the best stuff? Or another cowboy? Would love to hear from folks that'd know more than I do as I have no clue when it comes to non-comic stuff like that.

RoyRogers93.jpg

Who had the coolest swag / collectible / merchandise? I saw a LOT of Roy Rogers stuff advertised in the books in the short stack of RR I recently got in the mail? So, did Roy have the best stuff? Or another cowboy? Would love to hear from folks that'd know more than I do as I have no clue when it comes to non-comic stuff like that.

I would've guessed Roy, but a quick look at an edition of Hake's Price Guide to Character Toys lists only 11 pages of Rogers merchandise, compared to 21 pages for Lone Ranger.

BZ, thank you for running the search and The Lone Ranger would make sense :thumbsup:

From one to the other, I believe I got this issue of Dale Evans b/c, let's face it, how many ostrich riding covers are there out there?

It wasn't a terrible read either, this being a DC and all, though the plots are of the "same old same old" variety.

Nevertheless, I discovered something I never knew: Dale Evans was the first blogger ever!!

DaleEvans16.jpg

DaleEvans16-Dalefirstblogger.jpg

I thought the ostrich cover would get no love.

I have posted a few Atlas War books but not only did Combat Casey, Cookie, Combat Kelly waged the Korean War but so did Private Joe Burch and Sgt Mulvaney in the pages of G.I. Joe a nice long series of the Atom Age.

We catch them here in issue # 16 (Oct. 1952) and I assume the lady on the cover is Lilith, a friend of the boys who appeared before.

GIJoe16.jpg

All the art I scanned is attributed in the GCD to Henry Sharp, of whom I know nothing, but I know that his art is caniff-esque and resembles in execution that of Harrison. I let you be the judge of the resulting effect.

Not scanned are the typical antics of the Yardbirds by DeCarlo.

The Sign of the Tigress story - The story of saving Lilith and her sister is sandwiched by the opening and ending with Mulvaney's view on dames.

GIJoe16-LilithRe-intro.jpg

GIJoe16-Lilith2.jpg

Here we have a photographer coming to the front lines and finds a way to be useful by piercing through the Reds' camouflage -

GIJoe16-Photog1.jpg

GIJoe16-Photog2.jpg

GIJoe16-Photog3.jpg

That's a great looking Lassie, Scrooge. I just read a few for the first time and enjoyed them. I'll definitely get more.

I just noticed the Dale Evans ostrich cover you posted. Another classic DC "riding an ostrich" cover. Second only to Detective #67 (Penguin cover).

I liked the ostrich cover and the exaggerated motion of the gaucho pulled off his horse. (thumbs u

Intense, indeed!

This one isn't nearly as intense, but I couldn't turn down the blatant racism. I was trying to think of which vintage comics have racist slurs in them. I know KDF 2.8 has a story where someone is called a "spic", and there's the Youthful series "Redskin", but they have to be few and far between.

127037.jpg.4c508cc7a1d83626a2509c443719e984.jpg

I have posted a few Atlas War books but not only did Combat Casey, Cookie, Combat Kelly waged the Korean War but so did Private Joe Burch and Sgt Mulvaney in the pages of G.I. Joe a nice long series of the Atom Age.

We catch them here in issue # 16 (Oct. 1952) and I assume the lady on the cover is Lilith, a friend of the boys who appeared before.

GIJoe16.jpg

Lilith was flashing leg way before Angelina Jolie.

The-leg-The-leg.jpg

BZ, thank you for running the search and The Lone Ranger would make sense :thumbsup:

From one to the other, I believe I got this issue of Dale Evans b/c, let's face it, how many ostrich riding covers are there out there?

It wasn't a terrible read either, this being a DC and all, though the plots are of the "same old same old" variety.

Nevertheless, I discovered something I never knew: Dale Evans was the first blogger ever!!

DaleEvans16.jpg

DaleEvans16-Dalefirstblogger.jpg

Wow, who would have thought that the world's first online newspaper would have come out of a Dale Evens comic book. Boggles the mind...