• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America is WHAT

209 posts in this topic

Where did I disagree on the sales side? It doesn't make it any less creatively bankrupt.

As for stealing DC's mainstream media exposure? What exposure? Time & the NY Times & Forbes & the local news & everywhere weren't going to cover another comic reboot. It's not even on their radar. Marvel couldn't steal coverage that wasn't going to happen in the first place. All they did was get a little more hype on Twitter & on comic news sites. And got bad press everywhere else.

You said a lot of newbs asked about it... And did any of those people actually BUY it? Over/under on them actually buying issue 2? Or 3? Sell more #1s by going as low on the taste scale as possible and then tank your sales for the rest of the run doesn't sound like a solid business plan to me. Ill lay $20 that by issue 4, sales are hovering around cancellation level because it alienated fans that would normally buy it & the newbs are already on to the next thing that their Facebook & Twitter & snapchat feeds tell them is the thing to be paying attention to.

The point I'm making here is not that it got press & generated sales for 1 or 2 issues, it's that this a jump the shark moment for marvel. People talked about that too but it was a level of creative bankruptcy that could never be recovered from. Twist & turn & shock & shill but the status quo always returns. Comic fans know this. That illusion of change. However when the illusion doesn't even pass the smell test, when it's as stupid & transparent & absurd & everything as this one is, it really reaches the point of creative bankruptcy. And creative bankruptcy is the line where people aren't angry or shocked. They become indifferent & just tune out completely. It becomes Cap in the 90's again. A middling title that nobody cares about or reads.

Larry like a lot out there think #1 reboot sales figures = that many new readers. When in reality its more likely after reading this issue if they bought it will read something else. This happened in the 90's and its happening again. New drek, shock twists that not only add nothing to the character but demote the character to the point people stop buying because its not interesting.

The only thing missing on the cover is a Chrome background with a #1 Collector's Issue printed above the title. As far as the news breaking or taking away from rebirth's hype I just don't see any hype at all of the big 2 here. Both companies don't understand their characters or the market and if they did they wouldn't have to keep rebooting this junk.

This crossed that line.
No, The Death Of Superman crossed that line, and they have not crossed back since.

These aren't decisions made by writers trying to tell a good story. They're decisions made by marketing executives, on a schedule, to generate events.

I quit reading superhero comics in 1993 because they had become a series of hype driven gimmicks without any regard to telling a good story. Nobody should be surprised about this. And furthermore, nobody should be UPSET about this. Two words uttered in a 22 page slug fest that had maybe, MAYBE, ten lines of dialogue throughout the entire comic.

You know what I do if I don't like an issue of a comic? I stop reading that comic forever. It pretty much means I never have to complain about anything I'm reading ever. Even things I don't like, only read one issue.

I think the reason people are so upset is because no matter how bad it sucks, they're still going to buy it. Then they're going to get online and complain about it like the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. Juts as they have been every Wednesday for 25 years now.

How can people have $100 pull lists and hate everything they read? Oh well, glad I don't have that problem.

When a writer just abandons a book (like Spencer did with Bedlam) and Joe Mad did (with Battle Chasers), I immediately make a mental note to never read their books again.

I wouldn't go watch a movie if the final fifteen minutes were cut out. Why should I be expected to spend my money on a comic series if it's going to be in perpetual hiatus or never-to-be comleted?

And Nick Spencer is a special kind of d-bag, for all the reasons mentioned here.

When a writer just abandons a book (like Spencer did with Bedlam) and Joe Mad did (with Battle Chasers), I immediately make a mental note to never read their books again.

I wouldn't go watch a movie if the final fifteen minutes were cut out. Why should I be expected to spend my money on a comic series if it's going to be in perpetual hiatus or never-to-be comleted?

And Nick Spencer is a special kind of d-bag, for all the reasons mentioned here.

+1

Of course, there are exceptions. Sometimes it is understandable when a book dies.

I've got a list of writers I wont buy from anymore due to same issues and lateness.

Kevin Smith, JMS, Steve Niles come to my mind immediately.

Where did I disagree on the sales side? It doesn't make it any less creatively bankrupt.

As for stealing DC's mainstream media exposure? What exposure? Time & the NY Times & Forbes & the local news & everywhere weren't going to cover another comic reboot. It's not even on their radar. Marvel couldn't steal coverage that wasn't going to happen in the first place. All they did was get a little more hype on Twitter & on comic news sites. And got bad press everywhere else.

You said a lot of newbs asked about it... And did any of those people actually BUY it? Over/under on them actually buying issue 2? Or 3? Sell more #1s by going as low on the taste scale as possible and then tank your sales for the rest of the run doesn't sound like a solid business plan to me. Ill lay $20 that by issue 4, sales are hovering around cancellation level because it alienated fans that would normally buy it & the newbs are already on to the next thing that their Facebook & Twitter & snapchat feeds tell them is the thing to be paying attention to.

The point I'm making here is not that it got press & generated sales for 1 or 2 issues, it's that this a jump the shark moment for marvel. People talked about that too but it was a level of creative bankruptcy that could never be recovered from. Twist & turn & shock & shill but the status quo always returns. Comic fans know this. That illusion of change. However when the illusion doesn't even pass the smell test, when it's as stupid & transparent & absurd & everything as this one is, it really reaches the point of creative bankruptcy. And creative bankruptcy is the line where people aren't angry or shocked. They become indifferent & just tune out completely. It becomes Cap in the 90's again. A middling title that nobody cares about or reads.

You said a lot of newbs asked about it... And did any of those people actually BUY it?

No. They just stared blindly....

And asked to use the rest room.

( I think one woman on my floor )

Probably because so many end up right in the paper shredder after the buyers read it, rolled their eyes, and couldn't find a metal garbage can & lighter fluid to burn it.