• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time for a pre code horror poll?

105 posts in this topic

Some of my favorites I'd include for consideration...

Blue Bolt Weird # 111

Blue Bolt Weird # 115

Chamber Of Chills #23

Crime SuspenStories # 20

Horrific # 1

Journey Into Mystery # 5

Men's Adventures # 22

Mystery Tales # 19

Spellbound # 14

Spellbound # 17

Startling Terror Tales # 11

The Thing # 12

This Magazine Is Haunted # 14

Weird Mysteries # 2

Witchcraft # 2

Witchcraft # 5

Worlds Of Fear #3

So I guess the 6 books I listed before aren't candidates for this list? Then I'm out. Looks like the list is already going to be skewed so there's not much incentive to participate.

I don't understand. Why can't you add your book choices to the list that's being compiled? (shrug) I think there will be a voting process soon after.

Ghost 2

Horrific 3

Astonish 30

Witchcraft 5

Mr Mystery 6

I think you'll want to start with more than 30

Jayman I suggested my list, and was one of the first to do so. The OP later posted a list of "candidates so far", and none of my suggestions were on there. As such, if they aren't even up for vote, then my interest level is pretty low for this.

IngelsFan I see your point but I'd give Piper a chance to gather all the entries into a final list. Some are coming in quick. I doubt any entries are being snubbed. :foryou:

Plus I'm a big fan of CoC 23! :headbang:

Sounds like a plan-I'll ride it out and cross my fingers...especially since at least two of them have been on other people's lists. But if CoC 23 doesn't make the final list for voting, I declare this election a fraud! (Totally tongue in cheek there, by the way.)

So I guess the 6 books I listed before aren't candidates for this list? Then I'm out. Looks like the list is already going to be skewed so there's not much incentive to participate.

I missed them inadvertently. No disrespect intended! :foryou:

Ghost 2

Horrific 3

Astonish 30

Witchcraft 5

Mr Mystery 6

I think you'll want to start with more than 30

It sure looks that way! This will be fun...

No worries, Piper.Thanks for putting this together; I'm expecting to have fun voting and looking forward to seeing what the results are, and maybe even discover some books that aren't on my radar!

I'll also give everyone an opportunity to do one final review of the list to make that I don't miss any for consideration.

Based on the number of nominees, I'm pondering what the cut line should be after the first poll and how many we trim each round.

I pretty much have a good 95% of the books listed so far, so I know what the covers look like, and also know the resources to turn to for any that I don't have.

That said, although it's easier to verbally rattle off title names and issue numbers, than to actually post a scan of the particular covers, the latter method would be indispensable in any comparison to determine inclusion on a desirability list.

So, I suggest that only books displayed in scans be considered. Condition, or even ownership doesn't matter, but we need to see the entries.

Ya wants gore?

3308dh0.jpg

How 'bout terror?

16gmn9t.jpg

Mutilation?

289jtza.jpg

A cover you can't look at for more than a few seconds?

5cizqf.jpg

Severed head?

2qxw4rd.jpg

Electrocution

28ltlb8.jpg

Now wouldn't it be easier to make a valid determination based on seeing the entries?

I'll make sure there's a gallery! Thanks for posting these scans as I own only a couple of them... :blush:

I always find it interesting in the popularity polls that EC covers rarely pop up as they are generally considered the most popular horror comics. I think the stories are probably better written however the covers lack, except a few, that "whoa" factor the smaller guys did. I've always been in that consensus.