• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The first ever comic you bought (have you still got it?)

36 posts in this topic

First comics I bought were 3-4 issues of Man Thing (from the 11 issue run of this series) from my LCS's now long-gone quarter box/bins (this was the first time I set foot in a comic store, the year and month Uncanny X-Men 188 was on the stands).

Even though I do not buy many comics now (I am starting to spend much more on TPBs from amazon than monthlies purchased at my LCS), and I sold off most of my collection of several thousand comics on eBay a couple years back...I STILL have those Man Thing comics in my collection (along with the rest of the series I purchased as back issues). I never even bothered to upgrade my quarter copies, but one thing I know is that I will probably never get rid of these comics (even if Man Thing comics suddenly became as hot and valuable as the latest over-hyped comic from DC or Marvel).

Regards

Christopher H

1st new issue DC I bought was DC 100 Pager w/ GA Batman on cover circa 1975. 1st off the rack Marvel was FF # 136? 20 center. Still have both but the 1st back issue I bought was from a used bookstore: Mr Miracle # 2. Kirby 4th World. O sweet memories.... headbang.gif

Conan the Barbarian #146.

I don't have it anymore because that comic got me addicted to Conan, and I used to ride my bike to the drugstore and buy Conan, King Conan, and Savage Sword magazines like my life depended on them. My mom read one and got irate and dramatically and ceremonially destroyed them all. I was 13 and spending every spare minute (at my Christian private school) playing D&D and drawing barbarians.

Since then, I've bought a lot of SSOC original art (with Chan inks) and a Rudy Nebres Splash re-creation just to take me back again.

Brave and Bold #128, Batman and Mr. Miracle.

I had recently discovered comics and went to the store intending to buy Batman. I fell into the common eBay error of thinking B&B was the Batman title. A week or two later I bought my first Batman book, #277. I've sold hundreds of comics since then, but I still have those two.

Outside of a few Archies that I picked up who knows where, the first time I ever bought a comic was two issues. I don't even remember the issue # but it was an issue of Plop! along with a Treasury Edition size copy of Tarzan. My brother thought that Plop issue was so cool that he had to buy another one of the same issue for himself. I have no idea what happened to those books. Hey, I was just probably 11.

I stole the first two comics I ever bought. One was a low grade SA issue of FF and the other was a low grade SA issues of Sgt. Fury. I don't remember what issues they were, but I know I don't still have them.

I know I had a bunch of comics when I was 4 or 5, but I can't remember which was the very first. I don't think I got any new ones for a few years. Then when I was 9 I was in a bookstore with my mom and she said,"Why don't you pick out a comic book to read?" and I did. Flash #285 was my choice. I still have it, and I've been a "serious collector" ever since. Ah, 1980, what a great year.

not exactly sure, but i suspect it was around the time of this particular ish...i thought it was the coolest thing that Namor killed a couple of these Piranha man-fish people. never got the follow-up ish, unfortunately.

and the ish does feature Deathlok in the first couple pages, albeit in a comatose-like state:

52075323508.28.GIF

andddddd...whattaya know. a Gil Kane cover from a Marvel mid-BA title. will wonders never cease.

The first comic I bought, not including Archie comics, would have to be Amazing Spider-man #227. I still have it and it looks horrible. I recently picked up a 9.6 copy of to replace the torn and tattered one. This is the first comic that started my love of Spidey and also helped empty my bank account.