• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To crack or not to crack that is the question.

46 posts in this topic

For some reason I have been enjoying looking at my books just in Mylar with full backs.

I have a fairly extensive CGC collection and have cracked a few mainly because the majority of the run was ungraded by CGC. I open carefully without damaging the comic and slide the grade label in the back so it is facing out.

I'm getting the urge to do this with others and curious as to whether or not anyone else does this?

In addition for prospective buyers would you shy away from obtaining a book that has been cracked out but the label provided? Would prices realized still be in-line if the book had remained in the case?

I suppose someone could crack out a slab and provided a lesser book with the label, so I'm really gearing this toward buyers that you trust where this scenario would not occur.

I still value the independent grading aspect, especially to detect resto and would continue to use CGC.

Thanks.

If you want to become a crack addict, why not? They are your books.

I am a three-figure comic guy so I am likely not your buyers pool, but once it leaves the slab the label grade becomes almost irrelevant to me. Who is to say it did not get damaged when being cracked or in the days/weeks/months after?

I release many of my books, but I do understand your quandary. A book in a slab will usually be easier to sell....so I definitely sleep on it before removing one, making certain that I really do plan to keep the book long term. A recommendation or thumbs up would be easier if you shared some details, such as age of the book, title, grade...... and there are even Lucite backing boards that are transparent that can allow you to see the back of the book without removing it from the Mylar. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Who is to say it did not get damaged when being cracked or in the days/weeks/months after?

For this reason, I scan front and back before I crack a book out, so at least I can show a potential buyer what the book looked like while still in the slab...it's not perfect, of course, but provides some reassurance...certainly better than not having them.

Who is to say it did not get damaged when being cracked or in the days/weeks/months after?

For this reason, I scan front and back before I crack a book out, so at least I can show a potential buyer what the book looked like while still in the slab...it's not perfect, of course, but provides some reassurance...certainly better than not having them.

+ 1........ and most of the people I sell to are going to grade the book theirself, whether it be raw or slabbed. GOD BLESS.....

I release many of my books, but I do understand your quandary. A book in a slab will usually be easier to sell....so I definitely sleep on it before removing one, making certain that I really do plan to keep the book long term. A recommendation or thumbs up would be easier if you shared some details, such as age of the book, title, grade...... and there are even Lucite backing boards that are transparent that can allow you to see the back of the book without removing it from the Mylar. GOD BLESS...

Thanks. The books run the gambit but mostly silver and bronze. All popular super hero titles i.e. DD, Hulk, Cap, X-Men etc. All higher grade between 7.5 - 9.6 on the silver and 9.6 to 9.8 on the bronze.

I would like more info on those lucite BB please if you can recommend.

Good idea. Thanks.

Thanks. The books run the gambit but mostly silver and bronze. All popular super hero titles i.e. DD, Hulk, Cap, X-Men etc. All higher grade between 7.5 - 9.6 on the silver and 9.6 to 9.8 on the bronze.

.... you'll generally have to find a manufacturer or distributor of Lucite sheets and have them custom cut..... and they can run a few dollars apiece, but man, are they nice.... GOD BLESS....

.... you'll generally have to find a manufacturer or distributor of Lucite sheets and have them custom cut..... and they can run a few dollars apiece, but man, are they nice.... GOD BLESS....

Cool. Thank you.

Cool. Thank you.

... shop around, prices can vary..... and local pickup may be ideal, as they are heavy for shipping.... GOD BLESS...

I have a fairly extensive CGC collection and have cracked a few mainly because the majority of the run was ungraded by CGC.

hm

I guess I'm slow. Is there a question or a comment in there or you just working on post count?

Post counts mean nothing.

I'm curious about the percentage. What percentage of books you own do you believe to be undergraded by CGC?

I have to admit, I don't really understand cracking books out ever (unless you are reslabbing). If you want a reader copy, why not buy it in real low grade, reprint, collected, etc. Why buy the slab in the first place if you are cracking?

Not placing judgement, you can do what you want with the books you buy, I just don't understand.

I have a fairly extensive CGC collection and have cracked a few mainly because the majority of the run was ungraded by CGC.

hm

I guess I'm slow. Is there a question or a comment in there or you just working on post count?

I'm curious about the percentage. What percentage of books you own do you believe to be undergraded by CGC?

Undergraded? Haven't given that much thought. Some here and there not too many.

If you meant graded vs ungraded around 70% ungraded 30% graded.

hm

:gossip: .... he said ungraded, not undergraded. GOD BLESS....

I have to admit, I don't really understand cracking books out ever (unless you are reslabbing). If you want a reader copy, why not buy it in real low grade, reprint, collected, etc. Why buy the slab in the first place if you are cracking?

Not placing judgement, you can do what you want with the books you buy, I just don't understand.

... many who deslab appreciate the resto check that CGC provides as well as their grade estimate. It helps to significantly reduce the odds of getting hosed while buying raw. Some collectors like the feel of a high grade raw book in their hands....GOD BLESS...