• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To crack or not to crack that is the question.

46 posts in this topic

I've been seriously thinking on cracking out my IH181 cgc 9.4... I want to read it again :)

Have been rolling this idea around for a good month.

Been doing the same with my AF15 CGC 9.6. Just bought a vintage egg of Silly Putty, want something nice to try it out on.

That's funny.

There's a big difference between actually reading a good comic book, and what you describe yourself doing on Friday nights.

Not to be "that guy" but couldn't you find a reprint somewhere? Or read the issue online.

Would seem to be the reasonable thing to do.

I've been seriously thinking on cracking out my IH181 cgc 9.4... I want to read it again :)

Been doing the same with my AF15 CGC 9.6. Just bought a vintage egg of Silly Putty, want something nice to try it out on.

That's funny.

There's a big difference between actually reading a good comic book, and what you describe yourself doing on Friday nights.

Well, in all honesty, before I actually did that on my Friday nights, I did think about it for a good month or so.

(shrug) I think you're trying too hard?

I can completely understand the merit of having a slab if you are eventually looking to sell the book. I think if the book is a permanent fixture in your collection, then what's the point? I get that a good number of folks on the boards treat these things as commodities though, which is fine - they're your books to do with as you please. Just the direction the hobby has gone I suppose...

I look at your sig, and I think that would drive me nuts. All of those books encased in plastic tombs... I would crack at least half of what you've got there out of the slabs, as they're not exceptionally uncommon. Maybe you don't like to read these books? I have no idea... but then again, I'm not chastising you for what YOU do with YOUR books hm

That's funny.

Well, in all honesty, before I actually did that on my Friday nights, I did think about it for a good month or so.

(shrug) I think you're trying too hard?

I can completely understand the merit of having a slab if you are eventually looking to sell the book. I think if the book is a permanent fixture in your collection, then what's the point? I get that a good number of folks on the boards treat these things as commodities though, which is fine - they're your books to do with as you please. Just the direction the hobby has gone I suppose...

I look at your sig, and I think that would drive me nuts. All of those books encased in plastic tombs... I would crack at least half of what you've got there out of the slabs, as they're not exceptionally uncommon. Maybe you don't like to read these books? I have no idea... but then again, I'm not chastising you for what YOU do with YOUR books hm

Just having fun with you man, I'm all for doing whatever you want with your property. (:

I've been doing this for a long time, and I can tell you NOTHING is a permanent fixture, in any collection. Time, tastes and life see to that.

I will say that cracking a book out just seems silly to me, especially with the dozens of ways to read them these days. It's like taking out a signed Babe Ruth ball and having a catch with. Just strikes me as odd is all. (shrug)

When I buy slabbed comics I'm buying for my collection so they get released from the tomb :whee: