• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Room Experience with New Holders

71 posts in this topic

Sean I'm not playing your games anymore. Be the adult, I simply gave a reasonable explanation, but obviously the "I can't be wrong" person in you doesn't want to let it go.

Leave it for what it is, there are MULTIPLE factors with the inner well, rings, inks, waves, and whatever else is going on with them.

I am wrong all the time. The difference between you and I, is I freely admit when I am wrong, what my limitations are, and what I do and don't know.

BTW, for me, honors Chemistry was a long time ago. I think I got a B+ or maybe an A-

For you to rock an A+ is simply awesome. Just need that transcript and the SPCA is gonna get PAID.

Yeah, I'll get with my high school from almost 20 years ago, go through the old paper files...and get them from 1997.

You obviously only focused on the top half of my response.

Again, there are MULTIPLE factors, plastic manufacturing, pressing of mylars with the outer shell, light effects, scan effects.

Am I wrong? You tell me.

Yeah, I'll get with my high school from almost 20 years ago, go through the old paper files...and get them from 1997.

You obviously only focused on the top half of my response.

Again, there are MULTIPLE factors, plastic manufacturing, pressing of mylars with the outer shell, light effects, scan effects.

Am I wrong? You tell me.

Adonis,

Sean is referring to an ink transfer issue that is being discussed for non-SS books. Ink that the printer put onto the paper could come off if enough pressure is applied for long enough and then removed. One would think this effect could be amplified by inks that were put on years (or decades) later, such as a signature or a sketch, hence the discussion from the viewpoint of a signature series collector.

His concern is the ink transfer in this case, not the waviness or glare which seems to be what you're focused upon.

In this case, yes, you're wrong. :eek::foryou: Not because of the physics or chemistry, but simply not picking up on the concern that was broached.

we're talking about ink not related to an actual signature, on a signature series book.

Just to be clear, we are talking about both. In other places of the board, collectors have voiced concerns over the ink transfer that may occur as the result of the new design of the cases. As others here have mentioned, it stands to reason that if ink transfer is possible on printer ink on the book, it seems even more likely that it could occur on signature/sketch ink on a Signature Series book. That concern is part of the discussion here.

I concede then, we're talking about ink not related to an actual signature, on a signature series book.

That is incorrect.

Look at this book:

011_7.jpg

Those are beautiful signatures signed in gold paint pen. That paint was dry longgggg before it got slabbed, obviously. I would be exceptionally concerned that those signatures, which have a raised profile, could stick to the mylar and be pulled off. I've seen it happen with regular bags many times.

Has nothing to do with smearing of wet ink.

That book is functionally irreplaceable. It is a very, very difficult book to get AND STAY in 9.8, and those four artists are damn near impossible to get together in the same room at the same time. It is one of only 6 such 9.8s, and one of only 2 or 3 that have all four signatures of all four artists who worked on that book.

The only thing that would send it into stratospheres of awesomeness would be in Len, Bernie, and Alan signed it, and it STAYED a 9.8....which is a big if.

All of that would go down the tubes if those signatures stuck to the mylar. I would be heartbroken.

Now look at this book:

059_2.jpg

That sparkle foil is incredibly prone to flaking. It's garbage. I don't want that case to be opened and have half the foil come with it.

Yeah but I'm curious as to why or how the pressure of the book would lift any ink, unless it's a chemical reaction due to the pressure???? How bad or cheap are these inner wells or mylars that are causing all these issues?

Now I'm curious too cause I have some high valued moderns about to be slabbed

Yeah but I'm curious as to why or how the pressure of the book would lift any ink, unless it's a chemical reaction due to the pressure???? How bad or cheap are these inner wells or mylars that are causing all these issues?

Now I'm curious too cause I have some high valued moderns about to be slabbed

The signature ink seems fairly straightforward to me: the paint pens are paint. Even dry paint can stick to certain surfaces under the right conditions.

It probably shouldn't be a problem with sharpie, but anything with a profile could be a problem.

there is no doubt that any kind of paint pen would have more of a chance of coming off. i have seen the paint pens crack and fall off of things in my autograph collection with no pressure.

i like the feel of the new case. it seems so much more sturdy. i like the fact that the label on the top is inside the case not a sticker on the outside.

from the time i read the thread in comics general i have been concerned. all i collect are ss books. i guess the kick in the nuts is that unless they make a change all we can really do is hope that we are wrong. time will tell the tale

:idea:

Use different art mediums on the DC Coloring books and send it in to be slabbed. Then torture the slab. Like direct sunlight, extreme humidity changes, slab drop tests, pressure. Finally Crack it out and see what happens.

But after reading about the color loss on the other thread this is probably pointless .