• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Room Experience with New Holders

71 posts in this topic

Just making sure but we haven't seen a signature pulled off onto a Mylar correct?

Putting on my detective hat I'm going to deduce (de-duce funny word) that the color losses are from wet paper from humidity added to the book (used in pressing sometimes) and it didn't dry properly. This doesn't mean that signatures are being ripped from the cover but rather the area where the most pressure is forced, which is clearly on the staples where Newton rings are present. Signatures are not generally on a spot where the Newton rings are found.

So...

I conclude that your signatures are safe if using something that does not involve paint.

Personal opinion but all I can go by is what I see and what I have in hand.

Signatures do not appear to be a problem.

Paint pens are a problem.

Wet/humid paper where pressure is applied is a problem.

JJ

back to the pens for a second...

I've had some bad luck with Sharpies as well, and I've seen pain pen sigs peel off. Seems like lots of people suggest the Sakura Microns, but it doesnt seem like they have a silver pen that isnt a pain pen. So is there a decent silver alternative to the sharpie?

Also kinda nervous about how all my McFarlane signatures turned out now...

With that out of the way, resume the conversation about high school prom pictures

I've had some bad luck with Sharpies as well, and I've seen pain pen sigs peel off. Seems like lots of people suggest the Sakura Microns, but it doesnt seem like they have a silver pen that isnt a pain pen. So is there a decent silver alternative to the sharpie?

With that out of the way, resume the conversation about high school prom pictures

Here is some of the metallic markers I tested on some comics. Most don't come anywhere close to the results I got from a paint pen. The best one was the Sakura mentioned above, also helps that is archival.

08211501.JPG

08211502.JPG

So am I.

Not happy.

Ok now back to the holders...

I got a batch of 17 books back from WonderCon yesterday, no glaring issues, but you can clearly see all of the pressure from the cases is on the side of the books, leaving a little slack in the middle. You can even squeeze the middle and see how much room there is. The slack does cause a tiny bit of looseness in the middle of the comics that could potentially cause waves, but if I wasn't looking for it, I wouldn't have noticed. Most books do have some degree of Newton Rings. On the plus side, the new cases feel super sturdy and look great.

However, with issues so widespread, I'm very disappointed CGC hasn't made an official statement. Their silence is frustrating as ignoring these issues won't make them go away. Considering how much money most of us spend with this company, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for an official update confirming there are issues and details on how they are making improvements. In the meantime, I won't be submitting anything new (other than the 20 or so books I already had in the pipeline) until I know hear from CGC

thanks!

Here is the statement from CGC (Harshen) if anyone doesnt want to look it up

"We would like to thank everyone for their feedback on CGC's new holder. The overwhelming majority of this feedback has been positive and many customers have expressed to us that the new holder's optics and construction are a significant improvement for the hobby.

Our customers also made us aware of a few minor issues, including a slight wavy appearance on a small percentage of submissions. We reacted immediately to this feedback by conducting a thorough investigation of the cause, which we have identified and rectified. We learned that a majority of the wavy books had gone through CCS prior to CGC and that a recent CCS process change, when combined with the new holder, was producing the unanticipated waviness. We addressed the situation with a minor modification to the CCS process and do not anticipate that this issue will reoccur at any point in the future.

In a few instances, there may have been other factors that caused a slight wavy appearance. However, based on the careful inspection of the encapsulated books we are producing and the feedback that we have received, we are confident that we have addressed those issues, as well.

It is important to note that no books have been damaged whatsoever. If anyone thinks they have a holder that exhibits a slight wavy appearance, CGC would be happy to evaluate it and, if we agree with your assessment, reholder your book at no charge, as well as cover your shipping expenses. If we feel that reholdering is not warranted, we will still cover your shipping expenses. Any such returns will receive Fast Track service.

Innovation often comes with unexpected challenges. A major manufacturing upgrade is particularly difficult and unfortunately, despite months of testing, a few minor issues were missed. CGC is committed to providing the best products and services. We therefore responded quickly to the feedback we received to determine the cause of the issue and address it.

CGC will continue to serve as the hobby's innovator, having established itself as the first, most respected and largest third-party grading service, with over 3 million books graded. We will always stand by our services and do the right thing for our customers and the hobby.

We look forward to seeing many of you this weekend at Wizard World Philadelphia. As we will be grading onsite, all attendees will have an opportunity to view our new holder and we welcome any additional feedback from you."

Doc-

The signatures look great.

We now have Todd always signing the full Todd McFarlane style and mostly not in paint pens. Sharpie Bronze, Blue and lots of new silvers left us with fantastic results from the last signing. Dont worry!