• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Room Experience with New Holders

71 posts in this topic

Lots of discussion (over 300 pages! :o ) in Comics General about the new holders, but haven't seen many posts from boardies that frequent the Signature Room. Curious what folks in the Signature Room that have had books done in the new holders think about them.

003_zpsvd9w3gyz.jpg

007_zpsivrbpk7m.jpg

My first batch of books looked amazing. There was some Newton Rings on the lighter colored covers, but I could live with it.

My second batch after the "fix" look worse then when the new slab started. When scanning them the Mylar looks awful. Especially on my I Zombie book. I tried flexing that slab to minimize the warping, hoping the Mylar would settle in the slab. It worked but I'm still not happy with it.

My Serenity book hurts to look at it. Tons of Newton rings, Mylar warping, and the book is crooked in the slab. I've tried tapping the corner hoping it would straight out, but no luck. I feel like throwing it across the room every time I look at it.

Before:

5-16%205_zpsx0bzryrg.jpg

5-16%206_zpswutccqh2.jpg

After:5-16%207_zpsxc6rpl3q.jpg

5-16%203_zpsgd4vixb9.jpg

There has been some discussion about ink transfer related to the pressure in the slabs. Seems like this could be more of a problem for SS books.

I am pretty concerned about this.

There has been some discussion about ink transfer related to the pressure in the slabs. Seems like this could be more of a problem for SS books.

I am pretty concerned about this.

Ink dries well before encapsulation...so?

I've decided not to do an SS because of these issues.It would be very expensive (for me) and I just can't do it not knowing what things will look like. Sucks as the opportunity might not present itself again.

I guess people think it's non-drying ink???

Make jokes all you want, you fool. It has nothing to do with whether the ink is dry. It is a combination of physics and chemistry, which I'm guessing were Ds for you in high school. The Mylar sheets are directly on the covers, and the pressure appears to be intense. I have heard some disturbing reports of fortress-style cases lifting the color off at the staples due to the pressure. And that is ink from the printing process. We are adding after-market ink.

I'm not saying it is going to happen, or even that it could happen. Unlike you I am not Ready, Fire, Aim. I merely am saying that I am concerned about it, it is giving me pause.

Apparently our legal expert can't take a joke. Must be the court side humor, no name calling on my part.

However, how much pressure is being applied with the new slab/mylar as supposed to the "old" way where the book was sealed in the inner well?

As far as the paint pen issue or any other ink shouldn't matter. Most inks regarding SS dry up well BEFORE the books are encapsulated. The issues regarding ink at the staples or what not, that's a totally separate subject outside of the SS field as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure the chemistry compound of the interior plastic is what's causing the wavy and "rainbow" effects. Plastics are made of oils...and sometimes oils when compounded (mixed in to male clear plastics) together leave what you guys refer to a glare or wave effect. Similar to that when gasoline mixes with water.

It's all about how the plastics are manufactured, and what chemicals are being used to make such plastics.

The waviness is simple physics. Two objects pressured together..aka the outer shell pressed against the inner mylar, will cause that waviness.

I do agree that something should be done to change the chemical compound of the mylars. Maybe go to another vendor?

And by the way, I got an A+ in Chemistry, Honors.

Apparently our legal expert can't take a joke. Must be the court side humor, no name calling on my part.

However, how much pressure is being applied with the new slab/mylar as supposed to the "old" way where the book was sealed in the inner well?

As far as the paint pen issue or any other ink shouldn't matter. Most inks regarding SS dry up well BEFORE the books are encapsulated. The issues regarding ink at the staples or what not, that's a totally separate subject outside of the SS field as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure the chemistry compound of the interior plastic is what's causing the wavy and "rainbow" effects. Plastics are made of oils...and sometimes oils when compounded (mixed in to male clear plastics) together leave what you guys refer to a glare or wave effect. Similar to that when gasoline mixes with water.

It's all about how the plastics are manufactured, and what chemicals are being used to make such plastics.

The waviness is simple physics. Two objects pressured together..aka the outer shell pressed against the inner mylar, will cause that waviness.

I do agree that something should be done to change the chemical compound of the mylars. Maybe go to another vendor?

Newton's rings is a visual phenomena in which an interference pattern is created by the reflection of light between 2 surfaces- a spherical (or curved) and an adjacent flat surface. When viewed with white light, it forms a concentric ring pattern of rainbow colors because the different wavelengths of light interfere at different thicknesses of the air layer between the surfaces. For glassy surfaces that are not spherical, the fringes will not be rings but will have other shapes.

Newton's rings are a known problem found in touch pads and touch screens in the electronics industry and in photo scanning by photographers. Some ways to eliminate Newton's rings are to separate the smooth surfaces so that they do not touch or use an anti-Newton ring surface.

6dfbe2125b3d7fadfff9e48593be6172_zpssj940mc1.jpg

Thanks for taking all that time to say absolutely nothing. Ink lift has to do with pressure. The pressure appears to be much more intense than the Barex inner well. Whether it will lift ink is completely unknown. It still concerns me.

If you PM me a scan of your transcript showing an A+ in honors Chemistry, I will send $500 to your favorite charity, even if that charity is you.