• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy: Poll 4: 22nd - 24th

Silver Age Hierarchy - 22nd to 24th  

261 members have voted

1. 1. Silver Age Hierarchy - 22nd to 24th

60 posts in this topic

All,

The 25th to 27th poll has ended with the following results:

25th JIM #85

26th Flash #105

27th Tec #225

28th= FF #52 and Green Lantern #1

30th X-Men #4

3 votes this time to determine which books are 22nd, 23rd and 24th

Please vote for the least important books.

Poll ends June 4th.

Why OAAW 83 over Sgt. Fury 1?

Comparing the two remaining war keys- there is no existing scenerio that demonstrates Sgt. Fury 1 is a bigger war key than OAAW 83. This vote shouldn't be close.

To those who voted OAAW 83 as the lesser key in comparison Sgt. Fury 1- Really?

Comparing the two remaining war keys- there is no existing scenerio that demonstrates Sgt. Fury 1 is a bigger war key than OAAW 83. This vote shouldn't be close.

I concur. I can't figure that one out either, though I guess Nick Fury is more relevant in recent Avengers movies...and it is Marvel which seems to carry some extra weight around here.

The reason is simple - Sgt. Fury is a relevant character in Marvel's current Superhero universe, so Sgt. Fury 1 isn't just a key war book, it's a key Superhero book. (thumbs u

I think DC has introduced a Sgt. Rock-ish character somewhere in the current TV shows, so maybe that will inspire some demand. (shrug)

Ousted Action 252 and the Spidey villain books. It is getting harder to choose.

I will be holding a small, dignified service for Fantastic Four #4 after the inevitable happens.

:sorry:

I concur. I can't figure that one out either, though I guess Nick Fury is more relevant in recent Avengers movies...and it is Marvel which seems to carry some extra weight around here.

Hey, Alexander Hamilton is the most popular founding father right now because of a hit Broadway musical. It's only a matter of time before Jefferson gets his own musical. Hold onto those $2 bills. (thumbs u

The reason is simple - Sgt. Fury is a relevant character in Marvel's current Superhero universe, so Sgt. Fury 1 isn't just a key war book, it's a key Superhero book. (thumbs u

I think DC has introduced a Sgt. Rock-ish character somewhere in the current TV shows, so maybe that will inspire some demand. (shrug)

There may also be people who still think of OOAW 81 as Sgt. Rock's first appearance and are voting 83 as a protest? (shrug)

This. Sgt. Fury is and has been relevant for 6 decades. My kids know who Nick Fury is. They know what SHIELD is. Sgt. Rock? They've never heard of him. The way Marvel (i.e., Stan) took the WWII character and re-infused him into contemporary America (1965 essentially the same as 2016 in the MU continuity) was a masterstroke to keep the character fresh and relevant.

OAAW 83? Super tough book, esp. in grade, and therefore easily the more valued book from a perspective of economics. I think from a perspective of overall importance, Sgt. Fury 1 over OAAW 83.

And for the record, in the late 70s, as a 4th grader, my first and favorite comic book run/character that I absolutely cherished? Rock. Sgt. Easy Company. I still have my dog-eared, well-loved and heavily-read, original owner copies in 1.5-ish condition, with ads ripped out and "blood" colored in appropriate places with red Flair pen. :roflmao:

If based purely on the war genre then Sgt Rock ranks above Sgt Fury.

Nick Fury, however, evolved over time and is still relevant now.

His role with Shield in Strange Tales and Nick Fury, Agent of Shield and in the Marvel cinematic universe makes him more important now and his first appearance even if in war guise ranks above (even if not by much) OOAW #83.

I will be holding a small, dignified service for Fantastic Four #4 after the inevitable happens.

:sorry:

As a GA and SA collector I find it difficult to put to rank Sub-Mariner's reappearance in the SA much higher.

On the other hand Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 and Marvel Comics #1 are major keys for me.

Honestly, it got further than I expected it to.

I'm surprised FF4 biting the dust over FF48. If there was a stack of FF4s and a stack of FF48s and a genie says, "you may take one stack only, choose wisely," I would nab the stack of FF4s, not because of value, but because of importance. Oh well. FF48 is a lot more resilient than I thought!

I had voted off FF48, OAAW83, and ASM3.

I'm surprised FF4 biting the dust over FF48. I still think Subby over SS and Galactus any day, any time, and that FF4 cover is incredible, but oh well. FF48 is a lot more resilient than I thought.

I think FF48 is much more important than FF4 - but I am a huge Surfer fan, so ......

I voted ASM3, ASM 14 and FF4 - three easy cuts IMO.

I am hoping that the 1 vote cast for SC4 and SC22 were mistakes (especially the vote for SC4)

If based purely on the war genre then Sgt Rock ranks above Sgt Fury.

Nick Fury, however, evolved over time and is still relevant now.

His role with Shield in Strange Tales and Nick Fury, Agent of Shield and in the Marvel cinematic universe makes him more important now and his first appearance even if in war guise ranks above (even if not by much) OOAW #83.

The key point here is that Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos is a war genre comic that continued long after Strange Tales 135 introduced Nick Fury, Agent of Shield. In fact, Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos went along until 1981 while Nick Fury did two short stints during the late Silver and early Bronze Ages. Nick Fury would again go onto star in other short lived runs during the '80s, one of which went for 47 issues. At no point could the now popular by virtue of appearing in movies Nick Fury character (is the movie version Nick Fury the one we grew up with?) carry his own series with the same success he had as a Sgt. There's no question that Nick Fury, Agent of Shield, has given support to other Marvel comic book characters, as a supporting character. Nick Fury's most successful starring comic book role took place between the years 1963-1981, while he was leading his men as a war hero in stories that were set during World War 2- the most significant worldwide historical event of the 20th Century, if not all recorded human history. The memory of WW2 is alive and well in the collective memory of generations throughout the world. Much of the modern world has been defined by its consequences. The heroes of WW2 still hold their place as do the stories of these comic book heroes, many written by those who served in the Good War. The essence of any comparison between the Rock and Fury is to be made in the context of their greatest comic book roles- not relative success in other mediums. And that context was in their key roles as comic book war heroes. By comparison, Sgt Rock started in 1959 and went on to 1988 thanks to the greatest war genre team of Kanigher and Kubert. Stan and Jack were great but not as good as Kanigher and Kubert when it came to the war comic. Marvel successfully incorporated Fury into Marvel's Universe- but again as a supporting character. Fury cannot carry his own book for any significant period of time- the true measure of a character's appeal to readers (not whether he's in an upcoming sequel or did you see him in the sneak trailer on Instagram for the proposed movie in 2034?). The Rock anchored DC's Big 5 War Books- the greatest compilation of war comics in the history of the medium. The Rock was the apex of the Big 5.

As a Marvel Comics Group kid growing up during the late '70s, I discovered Sgt. Fury before the Rock but loved reading both books. Both are great books and have their respective places in the history of the American Comic Book. First and foremost, where their success was at their heights- within the World War 2 stories that took place during the Silver and Bronze Age heights of their great comic book runs- the criteria that defines and made these characters and their books Silver Age keys.

I'm surprised FF4 biting the dust over FF48. I still think Subby over SS and Galactus any day, any time, and that FF4 cover is incredible, but oh well. FF48 is a lot more resilient than I thought.

I think FF48 is much more important than FF4 - but I am a huge Surfer fan, so ......

I am hoping that the 1 vote cast for SC4 and SC22 were mistakes (especially the vote for SC4)

ASM 14/Green Goblin should be right behind FF5/Doom, so will be interesting where it lands.

ASM 14/Green Goblin should be right behind FF5/Doom, so will be interesting where it lands.

I kindly disagree - FF5/Doom is one of the top villains (if not the top villain - maybe Magneto?) in the Marvel Universe, having crossed over from FF, to X-Men, to Spider-Man, to the entire Marvel Universe. The Green Goblin is arguably (could argue Doc Ock or Venom) Spider-Man's greatest villain, but is not a marvel universe threat and I don't think he crossed over to other comics much (if at all). But again, I am not the hugest Spidey fan, so I get to some people the Green Goblin is the be all end all of villains.