• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Niagara Falls Comic Con "NFCC" (Canada) June 3, 4, 5, 2016

38 posts in this topic

My thoughts:

After lugging 130 long boxes from hamilton to the truck to the con to the truck and back to hamilton I was tired...I'm way too old for this lol I didn't get to walk the room as much as I like (I seldom do when setting up). We had guys building piles and piles from our $1 bins, we had vendors buying up run stock for their "non" $1 bins from our $1 bins. We met some awesome guys (who aren't on the boards to my knowledge but hopefully stay in touch with). Andy is a shark when it comes to Pac-Man related games. I guess I have a year to get better at Pac-Man Jr so I don't look like a fool when we play. Met a few new boardies :hi: and bumped into some that you know are coming down. There was a lot of USA individuals that made the trip across the river and some had money to spend (likely cause its basically a 30% discount on the smaller stuff) getting 100 books for only 70$

I love the little ones dressed up...the cuter they are the more baby fever my wife gets so I have to distract her when they are coming by...see below:

bise29.jpg

Overall from my perspective I thought the con was great and it has really improved from 3 years ago in terms of buyers...that said I heard a lot of other comic vendors...ones I choose not to death with for a number of reasons complaining that they didn't sell books...I mean how come your raw NM98 didn't sell at $800 ($600 change USD)

What was your booth # Iceman? You go by ER comics at the shows? I probably came by your booth but didn't know it was you...

My thoughts:

After lugging 130 long boxes from hamilton to the truck to the con to the truck and back to hamilton I was tired...I'm way too old for this lol I didn't get to walk the room as much as I like (I seldom do when setting up). We had guys building piles and piles from our $1 bins, we had vendors buying up run stock for their "non" $1 bins from our $1 bins. We met some awesome guys (who aren't on the boards to my knowledge but hopefully stay in touch with). Andy is a shark when it comes to Pac-Man related games. I guess I have a year to get better at Pac-Man Jr so I don't look like a fool when we play. Met a few new boardies :hi: and bumped into some that you know are coming down. There was a lot of USA individuals that made the trip across the river and some had money to spend (likely cause its basically a 30% discount on the smaller stuff) getting 100 books for only 70$

I love the little ones dressed up...the cuter they are the more baby fever my wife gets so I have to distract her when they are coming by...see below:

bise29.jpg

Overall from my perspective I thought the con was great and it has really improved from 3 years ago in terms of buyers...that said I heard a lot of other comic vendors...ones I choose not to death with for a number of reasons complaining that they didn't sell books...I mean how come your raw NM98 didn't sell at $800 ($600 change USD)

What was your booth # Iceman? You go by ER comics at the shows? I probably came by your booth but didn't know it was you...

We were 205 (4 booths in a row, right by the cotton candy/fudge/cellphone case guys). I know I meant to ping you before the con to meet up and it totally slipped my mind (my apologies).

I went Friday and had a good enough time. agree with the lack of artists though I did discover a new fav artist, Dan Holst Soelberg is absolutely amazing.

I only wish the comics were more in one area as they seemed to be spread everywhere so I'm sure I missed some. forest city coins and some stunning wall books that I was just in awe of.

I almost wish we had some cgc board shirts so i'd know who people were if you run into them at a show.

best buy was s low grade but complete strange tales 101 for 10 bucks. complete with tape running length of spine but cover attached still with staples...but 10 bucks...seriously

My thoughts:

bise29.jpg

I'm pretty sure we already met but just don't realize it. I vaguely recall your "ER" sign. I'm the small Asian guy with buddy holly glasses buzzing around booth to booth.

I think some of the complaints are valid. There's a shortage of actual collectors in Toronto... and even less in Niagara. Sellers want top dollar, buyers want the best books at the cheapest prices. Cost of living increases, while salaries remain flat... or decline. Less and less disposable income means the hobby suffers, which is why I go in with low expectations... and try to make up for it decent purchases. Main point is to have fun.

Fun show. As usual, I bought more than I sold. Here's my haul:

ncf3.JPG

FF#48, 7.5

FF#49, 6.0

MP#15, 8.5

FF#52, 7.5

FF#52, 8.0

Thor#165, 8.0

GSX#1, 9.0

X#94, 8.5

Av#1, 4.5

ncf4.JPG

Some funky treasuries + Savage Sword #1

ncf2.JPG

Some Lois bondage covers.

Surfer #17 for my run.

Some nice World Finest 100 pagers.

Sandman #1.

X Annual #4.

Superboy with Legion #147.

Spectacular #9, White Tiger.

ncf1.JPG

FF#45

BA#28

Suicide Squad#1

FF#74

MSpotlight#5

XAnn#14

Spectacular#27

WD Compendium #3

Reputable sellers offered great value. The price was fair and the books were in surprisingly nice condition. Books I bought from people I didn't know were disappointing. All the books had "hidden" problems that I feel should have been disclosed. I'll have to remind myself to open each bag with dealers who I'm not familiar with.

A bunch of us from my little area had stuff stolen off our tables. I feel so violated... and not in a good way.

Speaking of violated... did anyone else notice the girl dress up as Lara Croft?!? **drool**

Let's do it again at TCBS next week! Someone please invite Miss Lara Croft.

:eek:

Who did you buy the slabs from?

Wish I could have made the show as it is usually a great buying show but unfortunately it was the same weekend as Philly.

That being said I could have pulled a Dre this weekend and done Philly, Dallas and Phoenix in three days like he did. The man is a machine.

Hope everyone had a great time.

Jim

The slabs are from Walter. I'm so loaded up on Black Panther... I've got a dozen FF#52's now, one of which is from the Iceman ^_^

The Conan mag I traded my display grids for with the guys next to me. Darn things are heavy and I didn't want to lug them back.

The slabs are from Walter. I'm so loaded up on Black Panther... I've got a dozen FF#52's now, one of which is from the Iceman ^_^

The Conan mag I traded my display grids for with the guys next to me. Darn things are heavy and I didn't want to lug them back.

Oh, so you were set up? What's the name of your booth/business and do you remember your booth number?

@Vger7 I'm sure we've bumped a few times and just not realized it lol

@Nickwire Jesse had some great prices on his books...and great books too!

@Jim quit being lazy :baiting: and see you on Sunday.

BTW I went to see Civil War again last night...6x baby AND put my money where my mouth is and bought an Avengers #1 in Philly for me :cloud9:

See you Sunday buddy.

Jim

Oh, so you were set up? What's the name of your booth/business and do you remember your booth number?

I had one table near the food court. Booth: 903. I usually go by Mister Comics if I'm asked for a name. I brought only dollar books, some trades and toys. Stuff I wouldn't be able to sell online.

If this show is anything like for next year... I might be tempted to go fly to Toronto and drive to the show. hm

Looks like you guys had good times and great deals grabbed! :pullhair:

I don't really deal with vintage comics, I sell books - graphic novels, and some novelty items (statues, action figures, Pops, art and prints).

The first time I set up at NFCC four years ago, I did well. I was located near the main entrance and we faced a wall, but there was decent traffic flow. I think I paid about $400 for a table so it wasn't terrible. Load-in and load-out is easy at this convention centre which is a big plus. I was asked to sit in on a panel about Canadian comics and there were about 40 people in the room, which is an okay turn out.

When Deb passed in Jan 2014 I skipped it that year, the 2013 show was a bit of a holiday for us and I didn't want to do it alone in 2014.

I did it again in 2015 and for the price and additional costs (staffing, truck, etc.) I lost money and decided not to rebook. We stayed at a friends house, so at least I saved there.... but I did not think there was good traffic flow and the show was dead for most of the time aside from the first few hours on Friday and Saturday. The dealers I talked to with similar product did not have good things to say to me about it from their experience, I found the majority of people were pretty cautious with their purchases, and sales were slow. I didn't think it was worth the $600+ in table fees to do it. I booked a panel there to announce the Joe Shuster Award nominees and talk about Canadian comics and three people came to the panel. I went and joined another panel on Canadian comics and there were 10 people at that one. My general opinion was that the audience coming in wasn't that interested in comics, another strike.

I was considering returning with my friend Peter F this year, but I still felt the costs were too high to justify the risk, maybe sharing might not be terrible, if I kept costs low and focused on bringing crappy heavily discounted product the audience that attends might buy some of that old inventory. Thankfully I had to work in Dallas the same weekend so I could officially skip it.

So I'm glad to read that people here did well,

But I've received some mixed reports. My friend David said he did very well... selling the top loaders he brings for comic art prints to people with wrestling photos they wanted to protect. My friend Peter said he dumped a lot of old comics and wrestling toy merchandise cheap, but said the same issues continue with long dead stretches of inactivity at the end of each day, and in the end he came nowhere near his target. I'll see what Peter and Doug at Paradise and Carlos at Gotham have to say next time I see them as they carry some similar products that I do.

I'm sure as a fan it was just fine though. Lots of people to meet. If it doesn't conflict with work again next year, I think I'll just come and do some buying instead of setting up.

That being said I could have pulled a Dre this weekend and done Philly, Dallas and Phoenix in three days like he did. The man is a machine.

I did Niagara, NYC and Memphis last year. :headbang:

But I've received some mixed reports. My friend David said he did very well... selling the top loaders he brings for comic art prints to people with wrestling photos they wanted to protect. My friend Peter said he dumped a lot of old comics and wrestling toy merchandise cheap, but said the same issues continue with long dead stretches of inactivity at the end of each day, and in the end he came nowhere near his target. I'll see what Peter and Doug at Paradise and Carlos at Gotham have to say next time I see them as they carry some similar products that I do.

I'm sure as a fan it was just fine though. Lots of people to meet. If it doesn't conflict with work again next year, I think I'll just come and do some buying instead of setting up.

This sounds to me exactly what I found. We had guys asking for toploaders for photos like mad crazy (so not surprised he did well). We moved a ton of $1 books...well not quite a tonne but close to it. We didn't move any big books (no hulk 181's or asm129's) which is super surprising as I think this is my first multiday con I didn't sell out of them. Lots of guys dreaming and wishing they could get big books but no one opened their wallet for them. There was definitely some new collectors looking to get into the game, especially those interested in slabs and the process. I had about a dozen guys want my card specifically to discuss slabbing down the road.

I did Niagara, NYC and Memphis last year. :headbang:

If you had also hit Las Vegas, I would have guessed you were touring with Wayne Newton.