• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Northford pedigree question
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Northfords typically have the cross in a circle stamp on the back cover. But is typically right, or is it always? In other words are there Northfords without the stamp?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Well...I thought it was "always"...but...

Check out this recently sold TFTC #31 on eBay: LINK . The CGC label declares it to be a Northford, but I don't see any circle-x stamp on the back...which makes me think it's possible...

...until I saw this raw copy on Metro, which they claim to be the Northford copy: LINK ...clearly a different book than the "Northford" slab that sold on eBay a couple months ago. Unfortunately, Metro doesn't give the back cover scan ( :frustrated: ), which is where the circle-x would be.

So, is the eBay book's CGC label wrong? Is Metro wrong? Are there two Northford copies...one without the circle-x?

:ohnoez:

Well...I thought it was "always"...but...

Check out this recently sold TFTC #31 on eBay: LINK . The CGC label declares it to be a Northford, but I don't see any circle-x stamp on the back...which makes me think it's possible...

...until I saw this raw copy on Metro, which they claim to be the Northford copy: LINK ...clearly a different book than the "Northford" slab that sold on eBay a couple months ago. Unfortunately, Metro doesn't give the back cover scan ( :frustrated: ), which is where the circle-x would be.

So, is the eBay book's CGC label wrong? Is Metro wrong? Are there two Northford copies...one without the circle-x?

:ohnoez:

Interesting. Thanks for the link. The eBay copy is an old (old) label, so it was slabbed fairly close in time (I think, unless I've got the timeline wrong) to when Metro brought the books to market.

And you would think Metro would know with respect to the other book.

But I guess with possible pedigree books without the characteristic markings maybe provenance is mainly what CGC relies on.

How are they distinguish then, through provenance or some master list?

Good point. I think Metro bought them all, didn't they? So maybe there is a master list. hm

Good point. I think Metro bought them all, didn't they? So maybe there is a master list. hm

I bought my Mystery Tales 19 raw from Metro years back and while it does have the circled X on the back, it also came with a silver sticker on the open top mylar noting the Northford collection.

Edit to include that Metro must have purchased a sizable amount to warrant having a special sticker made. I would think they have/had access to a list.

Metro purchased all of them, so far as I have heard, so they do have a master list but I don't think they shared it, even with the Pedigree book folks.

I have seen a tiny number without the stamp on the back.

Thanks for the info, folks.

I'm buying a couple of books that the seller says are Northfords. They lack the stamp but he bought them from a guy who bought a bunch of Northfords years ago from Metro. So, it seems like the story may be legit, although convincing CGC to note the pedigree if I end up getting them graded may be another matter.

When I have them in hand, I'll post them.

Hey guys! Found this thread pertaining to Northford after doing a quick search. I got a high grade Adventures into the Unknown #19 from an eBay seller today and saw that it was in the original Metropolis Comics bag with the "Northford copy" identifier on it. This book does have the circled X on the back cover, very welcomed surprise from this book!

IMG_8909.JPG

IMG_8908.JPG

IMG_8905.JPG

8 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

Got my Northford raw on ebay, no mention of the pedigree, and no back cover pictures.  Didn't realize it was a Northford until I took it out to scan it for my records. :whee:

That is awesome!  I happened onto a San Fran National a while back on Ebay.  No mention of the ped and no BC scan where Tom's stamp was.  Actually I didn't spot the stamp for some time.  

Congrats again - beauty of a book!

3 hours ago, telerites said:

That is awesome!  I happened onto a San Fran National a while back on Ebay.  No mention of the ped and no BC scan where Tom's stamp was.  Actually I didn't spot the stamp for some time.  

Congrats again - beauty of a book!

Man, that's a heck of a find.  I still need a San Fran!  I fought with somebody last year over the National Comics 27 on Heritage, but they had more staying power.

On 6/3/2016 at 6:17 PM, Sqeggs said:

Thanks for the info, folks.

I'm buying a couple of books that the seller says are Northfords. They lack the stamp but he bought them from a guy who bought a bunch of Northfords years ago from Metro. So, it seems like the story may be legit, although convincing CGC to note the pedigree if I end up getting them graded may be another matter.

When I have them in hand, I'll post them.

Just to close this up.  The CGC graders weren't buying that the books I was talking about here were Northfords.  I thought the chain from Metro to Collector X to Harley to me would work.  But after thinking it over, their conclusion was, "Neiner, neiner, neiner."  I found the logic impossible to dispute. :)