• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Dilemma of the old lady's attic"

19 posts in this topic

You talking about the hypothetical story of finding one? Just browsed thru the issue quickly and all I saw was Mr. Silver Age responding to somebody who wrote in saying they found a Giant-Size X-Men #1 in a dollar box asking whether they should've alerted the seller of their mistake. His story of finding the Action #1 in an attic wasn't an actual account, just an example he raised to raise a parallel to the guy who found the GS Xmen.

For those of you who haven't read the article, Mr.Silver Age proposes a hypothetical and ethical question. What if you had an elderly lady for a neighbor and she had found out you were interested in comic books. She tells you she has a box of old comics in her attic and if you clean the attic for her she will let you keep any comics you find. You discover the box and while going through it you discover a copy of Action #1 in fine condition. Do you keep the comics and not tell her what they're worth? Do you tell her knowing she may not let you keep the comic?

Instead of being noble and saying you would sell the comic and split the money, what if you really want to keep the comic. This is after all an Action #1. If you sell it, there's very likely no chance of ever getting another one.

So how about it forum members. What would you do in this situation? And how about doing somehing novel, like giving serious answers. If you want to make jokes and say funny things, be my guest. Just don't type it down. smirk.gif

I would tell her. I had a guy who knew I collected comics and his boss gave him a bag with about 30 comics. He asked me if I would look at them. I looked them over and I told him what grades they were in. They were all gold and silver age is fair to good shape. I told him what prices to expect if he took them to a dealer. He turned around and ask me which one I wanted. This was 19 years ago and I since got rid of the book. Traded it for Giant Size A. Spiderman 4-5-6-7 I thought I did great but now with the prices of golden age comics I didn't. But I would tell her only because thats me....ED

So how about it forum members. What would you do in this situation?

1[*] Depends on my relationship with "the old lady".

1A[*] If she is a relative or a very close friend I tell her of it's value and ask her what she would like to do with it.

2[*] Depends on "the old lady's" financial situation.

2A[*] If she is financially secure and she does not follow 1A then I would keep the book for my collection.

3A[*] If she is in need of financial help I would tell her of it's value and ask her what she would like to do with it.

All in all - before walking out the door...at the very least I would say something to the effect..."nice comics you got here....are you sure it's OK that I keep them"..

One final word....This is a hypothetical question that brings about hypothetical answers....I can honestly say that I am not sure exactly how I would react until the situation actually arises...

I would try to do the right thing, while at the same time I would not shoot myself in the foot...

1 - Is she a hot old lady?

1A - If the answer to 1 is "NO", I'd tell her of its value and ask her what she wants to do with it.

1B - If the answer to 1 is "Yes", then I'd say "Let's forget the comic book, go back to my place, lose the dentures and gum me, Baby!" tongue.gif

I'd get that cleared up right away, "Sounds good to me ma'am, but what if the comics are worth money?"

If she says, "I don't care, they're yours" - I would make sure that I wasn't hearing things. If she's sure then you grab your broom and garbage pail and get to work and whatever you find you find.

If she says, "What do you mean worth a lot of money? Are comics actually worth money?" Then I would recommend making it clear to her that some are actually valuable.

If she is undecided then I would suggest that she see what's found and then decide but if she decides not to give them away (but to sell them) that she allow me to make a reasonable offer or to broker their sale for a % of the profit.

Kev

If I was being asked in to look at her books from an advisory or collecting perspective then she is relying on my knowledge to assist her. In that case I would tell her. If she had a buck on it at a garage sale then I would take it and run.