• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAF Inquiries - best way to respond?

45 posts in this topic

Sometimes I receive enquiries from other collectors wanting to buy art I possess.

Although all the art in my CAF is listed as NFS, it doesn't bother me to respond to such requests.

My replies are usually along the lines of, "make me a tempting offer and I'll give the idea serious consideration."

Very few collectors follow through with an offer - which is okay by me, as nothing was offered for sale by me in the first instance.

As I wasn't looking to sell anything, I had no price in mind and would have preferred hearing offers (worse case scenario is that I say no).

Do others, here, consider this to be a reasonable stance to take?

Sounds reasonable to me.

If someone is actively selling they should know a price.

If you're getting a 'cold call' then the buyer should have an offer in mind.

I have plenty of art that I wouldn't know what to ask of it, but I might know if the offer enticed me (shrug) In fact, I have pieces I'd like to put for sale, I just haven't got around to doing the research to find the FMV

Very reasonable.

My response is similar. I am not looking to sell the artwork but I am willing to entertain offers. If the art is not for sale at all I will say as much. If it is a piece I am not likely to sell I will state that fact and that only a very generous offer would cause me to consider selling.

Yes, your response is perfectly reasonable.

I've had a few exchanges over the years like that. Someone sends a message about a piece that I have marked NFS. Sometimes there is a monetary offer, sometimes not.

I've responded before with "I'm not selling it" or "I wasn't planning on selling it, but (insert "no regrets" price here) might get it out of my hands." Sometimes it's too rich for the other persons blood and sometimes it has led to a sale.

Sometimes I receive enquiries from other collectors wanting to buy art I possess.

Although all the art in my CAF is listed as NFS, it doesn't bother me to respond to such requests.

My replies are usually along the lines of, "make me a tempting offer and I'll give the idea serious consideration."

Very few collectors follow through with an offer - which is okay by me, as nothing was offered for sale by me in the first instance.

As I wasn't looking to sell anything, I had no price in mind and would have preferred hearing offers (worse case scenario is that I say no).

Do others, here, consider this to be a reasonable stance to take?

If I get offers on stuff that there is really no way I would sell, I politely reply "sorry not for sale". For stuff I may consider, I let them make an offer. So far I have only sold one piece. Most offers I get are way below what I would consider FMV.

Sure, there are certain artworks in my collection that I'm not planning to release any time soon, whilst there are others that a 'tempting offer' might help pry loose.

Just a bit miffed by those instances where I never hear back from someone who approaches me looking to buy something. I thought, maybe, "Make me a tempting offer" was an off-putting response to such enquiries? (shrug)

Glad to hear that others think my stance is a reasonable one, thanks. (thumbs u

It seems like a reasonable answer to me.

And kudos to you and all others who reply to those inquiries, even if it's only for saying "not for sale, sorry".

The few times I threw some inquiries, they were completely ignored. (shrug)

I let folks know that nothing is for sale at this time but I'll let them know if I decide to sell at some point. Then I put their e-mail in a folder and if/when I decide to sell I'll send them a link to the auction.

Very reasonable and polite action. I have occasionally reached out to inquire about NFS pieces and occasionally get a response. I've picked up a few and passed on most... but can't imagine not replying to a communication that I initiated.

I have a JR Jr page I jumped on, when I found it at a con and got it signed by Klaus Jansen at the very same table. I enjoy the piece and had it only a handful of months, before someone sent me a note, stating that they were interested in buying it. I responded with a note very much like your suggestion. The exchange that followed had me initially annoyed and then extremely amused. It went from his initial response of just about what I paid for it to only slightly more and he became more demanding and incensed that I should "work with him" and not "be out to make a buck" from him, adding that he "found a similar page, but not quite a nice, for $____". I repeatedly stated that I was happy to hold onto the piece and eventually he figured it out.

I have scored some of my best art by inquiring on NFS pieces. I have also learned a lot about how to negotiate with people as I cut my teeth in this hobby. I have learned not to offer too low, not to get my hopes up when asking about a piece not for sale, and that for every reply you get that ends up being a possible sale you will get 25 that are cold leads. I also do not understand how you can send a request only to not reply to the response you get. I chalk it up to people fishing for underpriced art and any response indicating that it isn’t going to happen here (even if politely stated), they just move on. There are a lot of people that lack courtesy and the sense of entitlement persona seems to be growing exponentially these days.

I've only inquired once as a buyer for something marked NSF, I asked around and looked for comps first and then made offer that was about 25% above that, it worked. I figure if it's marked NFS the collector is pretty attached to it so 25% over is the least I could ask. Recently I did one sale from one of my pieces marked NFS, i gave them a number that was definitely a good deal above market based on what else I could aquire that would replace it, they took the piece, but I would have been happy either way.

One thing I don't like is when things are marked "for sale, make offer" and when I inquire "what range are you thinking?" I get no response.

I've only inquired once as a buyer for something marked NSF, I asked around and looked for comps first and then made offer that was about 25% above that, it worked. I figure if it's marked NFS the collector is pretty attached to it so 25% over is the least I could ask. Recently I did one sale from one of my pieces marked NFS, i gave them a number that was definitely a good deal above market based on what else I could aquire that would replace it, they took the piece, but I would have been happy either way.

One thing I don't like is when things are marked "for sale, make offer" and when I inquire "what range are you thinking?" I get no response.

During those times I am actively selling, I do affix an asking price to the artworks.

So your art, contrary to your listing, is for sale?

Maybe that's part of why it is confusing to respond.

How is it for sale? My house isn't for sale, but if someone rang the doorbell and offered me $1MM for it, I'd move out tomorrow.

How is it for sale? My house isn't for sale, but if someone rang the doorbell and offered me $1MM for it, I'd move out tomorrow.

$1 Million and 1! Final offer :)

During those times I am actively selling, I do affix an asking price to the artworks.

That is much appreciated!