• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Word Balloons Yellow - Restore or Not

14 posts in this topic

Yes but would you guys have the yellow aging minimized, removed?

For me, I would tend to leave it but I don’t have any that I have considered restoring. Do you have an image of the page? If I decided it bugged me that much, I would try to see if it could be restored as opposed to replaced. Either way I would not want it to be stark white if the rest of the page had different coloring due to age – would want to match it up as I think a bright white balloon might be as/more distracting as one that had yellowed.

Cost / Benefit Analysis.

How much does the restoration cost?

What is the market value of the page?

If it were a page valued at $100 but cost $500 to restore, I would leave it as is.

Cheers!

N.

I've had some pretty yellow balloons fall off revealing some nice art that was covered.I would just leave them off and save them (lightly taped to the back of the art.)

I've also taken yellow balloons ,copied them with my printer in black and white and them placed them over the yellow balloons with double sided acid free tape.

Is that the right thing to do ? I don't know but the pages always look better to me.

The next question is usually where to turn for estimates and restoration work. Here's my standard answer:

In the many threads on paper conservation, the names that recur the most were:

• Robert Dennis

[*]Gordon Christman

• ggc2k@hotmail.com
    • Gordon doesn't seem to have a web presence, but his snail mail address and phone number are:
      GORDON G. CHRISTMAN
      RESTORATION & CONSERVATION
      330 SOUTH HORNE STREET #L
      OCEANSIDE CA 92054
      TEL: 760 439 7970
      CEL: 760 458 2290

[*]Tracey Heft - Eclipse Paper

trace@eclipsepaper.com

http://www.eclipsepaper.com

I would add that most major museums know of paper conservators. You might want to contact someone at a local museum and see if there is a conservator close to you.

The next question is usually where to turn for estimates and restoration work. Here's my standard answer:

In the many threads on paper conservation, the names that recur the most were:

• Robert Dennis

[*]Gordon Christman

• ggc2k@hotmail.com
    • Gordon doesn't seem to have a web presence, but his snail mail address and phone number are:
      GORDON G. CHRISTMAN
      RESTORATION & CONSERVATION
      330 SOUTH HORNE STREET #L
      OCEANSIDE CA 92054
      TEL: 760 439 7970
      CEL: 760 458 2290

[*]Tracey Heft - Eclipse Paper

trace@eclipsepaper.com

http://www.eclipsepaper.com

I would add that most major museums know of paper conservators. You might want to contact someone at a local museum and see if there is a conservator close to you.

Do they handle painted art as well?