• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy: Poll 7: 10th - 12th

Silver Age Hierarchy - 10th to 12th  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Silver Age Hierarchy - 10th to 12th

68 posts in this topic

Avengers 1 (for the 3rd round in a row)-overrated, but still the most important Rick Jones story pre-Mar-vell. Glad he and the Teen Brigade finally got something done.

DD 1

BB 28

This round was easy.

ASM 1 in the on deck circle.

X Men 1 in the hole.

BB 28 will always be in my top 3....... at least as far as importance goes..... I just can't figure out what to do with SC 4........ It's almost impossible for me to do this without looking through a lens of love for FF and Spidey....... but SC 4 and the Showcase title in general was a huge catalyst for rebirth. What I'm trying to do is balance this between 3 factors, significance at the time, significance over time, and mass appeal today....... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Great comment. I'm trying to do something similar. Combine significance at the time, significance over time, and significance to me specifically. When I started collecting in the 70's my friend had a subscription to Daredevil and I had one to the X-Men. So both of those have a bit of extra cache to me. We read those comics and traded them back and forth so many times. But of course both of those had very little significance before they were taken over by Miller and Byrne/Claremont.

Time for DD #1 to be voted off. I added in the team books Avengers #1 and Brave and the Bold #28 since neither of them were that significant before this current "Movies" age.

Voted with difficulty for the first 2:

ASM #1

Avengers #1

Daredevil #1

My vote as well, but with no difficulty at all.

DD #1 would not have lasted this long before the TV show. lol

ASM #1

Avengers #1

Daredevil #1

:gossip: DD #1 came 13th in 2011

ASM #1

Avengers #1

Daredevil #1

:gossip: DD #1 came 13th in 2011

I was just going to say that :) PLUS it is one hell of a good show :)

ASM #1

Daredevil #1

Those were easy for me.

I had a hard time choosing between Avengers #1 and BB #28 for the last one. These are pretty much the same book to me. BB #28 has a little more historic significance inside the hobby I think because it helped pave the way for the superhero explosion and the creation of Fantastic Four and later Avengers. It's also harder to find. Avengers is more popular, it's a first issue as well as first appearance of the team, and it's a new concept, unlike the JLA, which is a legacy team from the JSA. So it's a wash for me.

I ended up voting for BB #28, but it was a tossup.

Sorry gents , but there is nothing that DC did or produced in the SA that even comes close to the importance or magnitude of Spider-Man. Nothing.

And this includes his first appearance in AF 15 and his second appearance in the first issue of Marvel's flagship title that would last for 50 years.

-J.

Sorry gents , but there is nothing that DC did or produced in the SA that even comes close to the importance or magnitude of Spider-Man. Nothing.

And this includes his first appearance in AF 15 and his second appearance in the first issue of Marvel's flagship title that would last for 50 years.

-J.

+1

-J.

So then what you are saying is ASM1 is a more important book than SC4 (i.e., the start of the silver age of comics and the introduction of the modern superhero)? That seems crazy to me (as does saying ASM1 is more important than SC22 or BB28) - but everyone's opinion is different I guess :) There is no question that Spider-Man is Marvel's most important character (and likely 3rd most important character overall) - I just don't think his second appearance trumps that of DCs first appearance of their 3rd and 4th most important characters (i.e., the Flash and GL).

I also don't think that in the Silver Age, ASM was Marvel's flagship title - I think that distinction belongs to Fantastic Four, but again different strokes for different folks.

-J.

Sure Spider-man rules but while Spider-man 1 is a great book not much really happened in it. I don't place a #1 that isn't a first appearance ahead of some of the remaining first appearances But that's what makes these polls so much fun, we each rate and value issues differently.

ASM #1

Avengers #1

Daredevil #1

I'm not so sure, DD has been one of the only Marvel titles that has been, for the most part, good since the late 90's starting with the Kevin Smith re-launch. You cannot make that argument for most of the other Marvel titles. (I do not own a DD #1)

The first, for me was easy = Daredevil #1.

The second was very tough but it came down to Avengers #1 and Showcase #22, and I went with Showcase #22.

I could make an argument for TOS #39 being less "significant" than Avengers #1 due to the Avengers popularity as a group, but I took FMV and desirability into consideration. There's no perfect science here, so I went with my gut.

ASM #1, in recent years, has become quite underrated IMO. Impossible to overlook the significance of it being tied for the first Marvel Age crossover. Continuity in comics helped make Marvel what it is and that trend is going strong today. When you add in the first issue of a title that has lasted over 50 years + the 1st app. of J. Jonah Jameson (one of the most recognizable characters in the Marvel Universe) + the 1st app. of the Chameleon, you get a pretty awesome book. The classic circular 12-cent logo doesn't hurt either.

The first, for me was easy = Daredevil #1.

The second was very tough but it came down to Avengers #1 and Showcase #22, and I went with Showcase #22.

I could make an argument for TOS #39 being less "significant" than Avengers #1 due to the Avengers popularity as a group, but I took FMV and desirability into consideration. There's no perfect science here, so I went with my gut.

ASM #1, in recent years, has become quite underrated IMO. Impossible to overlook the significance of it being tied for the first Marvel Age crossover. Continuity in comics helped make Marvel what it is and that trend is going strong today. When you add in the first issue of a title that has lasted over 50 years + the 1st app. of J. Jonah Jameson (one of the most recognizable characters in the Marvel Universe) + the 1st app. of the Chameleon, you get a pretty awesome book. The classic circular 12-cent logo doesn't hurt either.

Yup. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

CORRECT. ASM #1 is a big book. It's like Superman 1 or Batman 1, relative to the SA. It's that important. THE character of the Silver Age.

SA GL is super-cool (and I love SC 22), but SA GL is a reboot of a GA character that doesn't hold anywhere close to the popular appeal that Spidey has.

-J.

CORRECT. ASM #1 is a big book. It's like Superman 1 or Batman 1, relative to the SA. It's that important. THE character of the Silver Age.

SA GL is super-cool (and I love SC 22), but SA GL is a reboot of a GA character that doesn't hold anywhere close to the popular appeal that Spidey has.

I don't think you can compare ASM #1 to Batman #1 as Batman #1 has the first appearance of the most popular villain in all of comics (and catwoman is not to shabby either). JJJ is not the Joker :) Superman #1 is a much rarer book than ASM1 and Superman is a more important character to the history of comics than Spider-Man (I can hear all of the Spider-Man fans gasp at that thought).

Again ASM 1 is a very big book, just not bigger than others on the list IMO

Someone just named J.Jonah Jamieson as a reason why Spidey 1 is a top silver age book... I'm speechless.

Sorry Jaydog, but in terms of magnitude, Spidey is largely irrelevant. How much of what happened to Spidey mattered a bit to any other Marvel hero? How many of Spidey's villains are big time players in the Marvel Universe? Big fish, small pond. Let's not forget the hideous cover... the only thing worth keeping is the logo and the 10 cent bubble, the rest is substandard.

Flame on!

-J.

I don't think you can compare ASM #1 to Batman #1 as Batman #1 has the first appearance of the most popular villain in all of comics (and catwoman is not to shabby either). JJJ is not the Joker :) Superman #1 is a much rarer book than ASM1 and Superman is a more important character to the history of comics than Spider-Man (I can hear all of the Spider-Man fans gasp at that thought).

Isn't Catwoman's first appearance Batman #3?

n terms of magnitude, Spidey is largely irrelevant. How much of what happened to Spidey mattered a bit to any other Marvel hero? How many of Spidey's villains are big time players in the Marvel Universe? Big fish, small pond. Let's not forget the hideous cover...

Alrighty then.

-J.

Everything's relative. Just about any pre war book is rarer than ASM 1. The comparison between Superman 1/Batman 1 is all about context. And while Superman may be a more important character since the inception of comic books, I'm not sure that he's been the most important since 1962.

ASM 1 is a creature unto itself. Spider-Man didn't have a dozen or so appearances prior to his #1. Superman did. You can talk about JJJ and the Chamelon until you're blue in the face, but it's not necessary. ASM 1 is a great book because it's the second appearance of Spider-Man, and the first issue of the company's flagship title.

ASM 1 is a more important book than any of the team up books to me. Lantern and Wonder Woman/Iron Man and Thor exchanging contact information doesn't constitute a major key, but that's just my opinion.

And I write this as someone who loves ASM 1, but thinks its rightful place is @#10 on the list.