• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staple impressions and grade

107 posts in this topic

I just cracked out a book from one of the new holders and there are staple impressions at the bottom staple through the front half of the book. The book was never pressed and I was wondering if the grade would drop because of this if I decide to have it regraded?

I just cracked out a book from one of the new holders and there are staple impressions at the bottom staple through the front half of the book. The book was never pressed and I was wondering if the grade would drop because of this if I decide to have it regraded?

Pic please.

There is a slightly raised area at the staple on the front cover and the inside pages show an impression on each page from the centerfold to the front cover. I guess it's not terrible, but I'm pretty certain it happened from the case being tight. Just wondering if it would affect the grade if I resubmitted...

There is a slightly raised area at the staple on the front cover and the inside pages show an impression on each page from the centerfold to the front cover. I guess it's not terrible, but I'm pretty certain it happened from the case being tight. Just wondering if it would affect the grade if I resubmitted...

If it doesn't, somebody up.

If it does, somebody up.

I guess somebody up.

Uh-oh. That doesn't look good. I don't think that is good for the book long term at all. You can clearly see the impression of the staple through the cover and on the interior pages. How much psi is being exerted by the slab, is it evenly distributed or do they compensate for the variations in thickness of the spine and staples (by either thinning the plastic or allowing it to bulge slightly around the spine).

CGC, ju have some splainin' to do!