• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The ebay seller may be a con-artist

255 posts in this topic

Recently a scammer was exposed making fake double, triple and quadruple cover books and selling them on ebay. CGC even slabbed some of his fakes without catching it. These were by no means well done married covers. So things got heated as the boardies grilled the scammer who went from one lie to the other before he finally (sorta) confessed.

My problem with moderation is, much of the grilling was deleted by mods. This was an active board investigation doing a public service. Of course some of the posts are going to get heated. You cannot just ask a scammer nicely to confess.

So-there should have been no wiping of anything in that thread. Mods need to have some discernment skills not just wipe everything where feelings are getting hurt. They need to see the bigger picture.

Hey - I saw KAV post this in the Moderation discussion area -

Did you guys find other questionable books (other than Action 1 manufacturing) that CGC might have slabbed? I don't see it in this thread.

It wasn't CGC..it was the other company, but that was just speculation

Legally speaking there's nothing you can do about it. The buyers are protected by Paypal, and if they chose, they can file claims. Unfortunately for those buyer who aren't aware, they have fakes.

Since e-bay changed their rules, you can no longer see who the high bidder, or buyers were.

I am pretty sure anyone can file a police report with Munkalunk's local police department.

We cannot contact the duped buyers directly but if a joint complaint is filed with eBay under the item listings, there is a very good chance that the buyers will be made aware of the situation by eBay....that complaint would need to be followed up with a call to eBay.

I will file the alerts on each of the sold books compiled from the sold eBay listing search and call eBay after doing so.

If this helps to set a precedent that scammers like this will not get off scott free, it will be well worth my time.

This kind of thievery, not only sucks for the buyers who got conned, but it does also effect the comic market/community as a whole.

Oh, yeah.....to Jaybuck, Buds Bundy,Awakeintheashes, MetalPSI...have some fun with memes and CAK jokes...

It is pretty easy to do so.... cheers for your efforts in trolling me and providing no constructive value to the forum, and the problem at hand, whatsoever.

Legally speaking there's nothing you can do about it. The buyers are protected by Paypal, and if they chose, they can file claims. Unfortunately for those buyer who aren't aware, they have fakes.

Since e-bay changed their rules, you can no longer see who the high bidder, or buyers were.

I am pretty sure anyone can file a police report with Munkalunk's local police department.

We cannot contact the duped buyers directly but if a joint complaint is filed with eBay under the item listings, there is a very good chance that the buyers will be made aware of the situation by eBay....that complaint would need to be followed up with a call to eBay.

I will file the alerts on each of the sold books compiled from the sold eBay listing search and call eBay after doing so.

If this helps to set a precedent that scammers like this will not get off scott free, it will be well worth my time.

This kind of thievery, not only sucks for the buyers who got conned, but it does also effect the comic market/community as a whole.

Oh, yeah.....to Jaybuck, Buds Bundy,Awakeintheashes, MetalPSI...have some fun with memes and CAK jokes...

It is pretty easy to do so.... cheers for your efforts in trolling me and providing no constructive value to the forum, and the problem at hand, whatsoever.

As this guy who's not a TROLL and is definitely involved in the legal system, NO, purchase orders from e-bay don't fall into the FRAUD category where police gets involved unless you're over the $5,000 limit. Small purchases like these aren't covered. You're protected by Paypal, thus why they have a wonderful safeguard called "Paypal Protection".

E-bay isn't going to go the extra mile unless it is something that infringes on their reputation and directly affects them. One guy selling fake triple covers is not in their hierarchy of schemers that they pursue.

Good luck with your temper tantrum though. It was cute.

I think Hall-of-Shaming this guy, putting his eBay ID on the forums and describing his scam so people are forewarned, reporting him to eBay, and so on is probably about as far as the consequences could really go for this guy. If he were a really prolific scammer like the Danny Dupcaks or Wilhelm Uthes of the world, where it's a case of ongoing criminal-level intent, then it might warrant doxxing him (to the extent of revealing his real name) or other measures, but I think at this point he's got the message and we've taken it as far as it should go. Just my opinion.

Protecting fellow hobbyists from being taken advantage of is the main point. Punishing the offender is much less so.

I think Hall-of-Shaming this guy, putting his eBay ID on the forums and describing his scam so people are forewarned, reporting him to eBay, and so on is probably about as far as the consequences could really go for this guy. If he were a really prolific scammer like the Danny Dupcaks or Wilhelm Uthes of the world, where it's a case of ongoing criminal-level intent, then it might warrant doxxing him (to the extent of revealing his real name) or other measures, but I think at this point he's got the message and we've taken it as far as it should go. Just my opinion.

Protecting fellow hobbyists from being taken advantage of is the main point. Punishing the offender is much less so.

I agree and that's all I personally intend to do. (thumbs u

As this guy who's not a TROLL and is definitely involved in the legal system, NO, purchase orders from e-bay don't fall into the FRAUD category where police gets involved unless you're over the $5,000 limit. Small purchases like these aren't covered. You're protected by Paypal, thus why they have a wonderful safeguard called "Paypal Protection".

E-bay isn't going to go the extra mile unless it is something that infringes on their reputation and directly affects them. One guy selling fake triple covers is not in their hierarchy of schemers that they pursue.

Good luck with your temper tantrum though. It was cute.

Sorry, my troll comment was NOT directed at you...just want to clarify that it was towards the 4 boardies who I referred to above.

I agree and that's all I personally intend to do. (thumbs u

+1

Hey - I saw KAV post this in the Moderation discussion area -

Did you guys find other questionable books (other than Action 1 manufacturing) that CGC might have slabbed? I don't see it in this thread.

boardies pointed out the slabs were probably legit and he was 'salting' his auctions of raw books. I agreed this was most certainly the case.

I think Hall-of-Shaming this guy, putting his eBay ID on the forums and describing his scam so people are forewarned, reporting him to eBay, and so on is probably about as far as the consequences could really go for this guy. If he were a really prolific scammer like the Danny Dupcaks,Ryan Elliott or Wilhelm Uthes of the world, where it's a case of ongoing criminal-level intent, then it might warrant doxxing him (to the extent of revealing his real name) or other measures, but I think at this point he's got the message and we've taken it as far as it should go. Just my opinion.

As a case for humanity, one would say that rather than deleting, admitting fault and mistake is more humane and makes you a better person in the eyes of others. Bribery is not a characteristic that I would consider humane.