• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In desperation...

131 posts in this topic

I've dumped 25-30% of my 50 long box collection over the past few months purely for space reasons. In no way have I missed any of it, though, admittedly there wasn't much worth missing! Its made me look at a lot of whats left for possible dumping, see if I can get down to 25 long boxes.

Wow, where the heck do you store FIFTY long boxes??? I've got 8 (and one short box, and stacks of comics on them and on our bookshelves) in the closet of our spare bedroom, and I've been selling stuff on ebay recently to clear out some space.

I've been slowly selling off my collection, trying to get the collection down to maybe 10 short boxes, from a total of 40 short boxes or so.

I'm selling mainly for space reasons, but also because there are bills to pay (recently bought a house and am getting married in the fall). I've even started selling some of my "keepers" because I decided that they no longer fit into my collecting goals. I don't even miss them.

I also know that at some point in the future, if I really wanted the books back, I could get them. (They're mostly silver and bronze age stuff). But, I'd rather have the money and the peace of mind of not having any credit card bills than the comic, stuck in a box at the back of the closet.

As others have said, do what you think is right, and at the end of the day, the comics, beloved as they are, are just objects. Your family comes first. I'd set aside the comics you love the most and sell the others. You'll probably find that you don't miss the sold books as much as you thought.

Good luck.

I don't know your exact circumstance but I suggest keeping a couple that have a a intrinsic value to you.

I agree.

If you started this collection when you were 9 years old. Then that goes beyond comics that you can replace down the road.

Whittle your collection down, trim the fat. But for the love of pete.. do not sell off things that have a special meaning to you.

For anyone, unless you absolutely must have extra cash.

Keeping a long box or 2 will not hurt anybody, and years from now you will be glad you did not dump them when your cart hit a bump in the road.

Ze-

(4 -32 oz. White Russians?.. 893whatthe.gif .....my tummy hurts...... crazy.gif)

I'm not married, so please take my advice with a grain of salt.

I'm sure that once I do get married, my wife and kids would be my number one priority...no questions asked. However, if my future wife does support my collecting habits, then I'm more likely to support hers 10 times over. Sometimes winning means losing. Does she really want to take away a hobby that you love, and see you moping around the house day and night? My thinking is no. I would sit down and disuss it with her, and reach a compromise.

I've already contemplated what to do if I get married. I'll put my top 75-80 CGC graded books in a safety deposit box for safe keeping. The rest of the books will be on display for the wife to see. If she supports my collecting habbit, then I'll tell her about the rest, otherwise, I'm not taking any chances. Don't get me wrong, if an emergency comes up, I'll gladly sell my entire collection to pay for it. However, I'd like to make that decision myself rather than get forced into. Especially, if the money is not used properly.

As far as selling is concerned, I finally started unloading some of my mid grade SA's and low grade GA books on Ebay. I've also decided to get rid of easily replaceable books like Iron Man #1, Captain America #100, GSX #1 (all in CGC 6.0). Plus, I've still got higher graded copies of those books.

The most levelheaded guy here on these topics is OldGuy. I would do whatever OldGuy tells you to do. thumbsup2.gif

There comes a time in every collection where a choice must be made. Is it the comics or the quality of life that comes first? Is it the love for a hobby that you have had since age 9 or the love of a wife and home that you've had for far less time? Unfortunately it's a question that has come up in the last few days that has kept me from sleeping and from being happy. The choice is obvious... comics can always be purchased again. With all luck the wife is beyond replaceable... and she is.

In the next week we will find out if the comics will leave or not. The sad thing is that the thought of the collection going bye bye literally brings tears to my eyes. I've been at this a loooong time. The idea of selling it all off hurts badly. I have comics that I've had since I was 9 (granted... it's ONLY 20 years) and some of them are from my brother that I wish I was closer to. But in the end some things have to matter more then others. Comics have to be the disposable items.

Anybody else here have to make the hard decision? (If I've mis-spealt anything I appolagize... I'm on my 4th 32 once White Russian.... affects the senses.)

Please share and make me feel better. I know I'm not one of the hugely popular people on here such as Greggy (please no graemlin only posts) and our beloved Joanna (your post are just incredible), but I would still like to hear some responses. Look past me and share your sob stories of remorse.

Keep a handful of books that are dear to your heart and sell the rest that you can easily repurchase in the future. I wouldn't go cold turkey overnight and sell everything, keep a few around as you will feel better about it. How much money are we talking about in terms of comic sales? Big amount or small?

If its a small amount maybe take out a loan that you can repay in a year and stop buying comics in the meantime. At least you can keep your collection and then sit back and see what happens, maybe you'll get a raise or a better job opportunity down the road that allow you to enjoy both collecting and your quality of life.

Whatever your final decision take some time to think out the best option. thumbsup2.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'll put my top 75-80 CGC graded books in a safety deposit box for safe keeping.

That must be one large safety deposit box. 893whatthe.gif

Actually 2. I already have one that I've stored 21 books in. I'm getting an additional larger one this summer that can hopefully fit another 50 (based on my calculations). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif Total for both will be round $260/year.

Before I was comic collector I was a vinyl & music-junkie...

About 5 years ago a fire destroyed most of the apartment where my wife and I lived and we only got a small portion back from the insurance company, I lost more than 7000 record albums and CDs and my wife lost a lot of family heirlooms. Picking up the pieces wiped us out financially and emotionally, but we carried on (my wife was pregnant at the time of the fire, luckily nobody was home when it occurred). I was at an all time low, because not only was my home gone and all the souvenirs and memories from my entire life spent all over Europe, my prized music collection was destroyed, never to be replaced.

I thought that was the end, that the rest of my life would be full of misery, with my teen-started collection gone....

So in this hour of darkness, I turned to my childhood love; comics.

My mother has always kept the comics I bought as a child when we were living in England, and I rekindled the flame. Maybe I used the collecting as a crutch for not having to think too much about all the bad stuff that happened, but it worked. We bought a new house, are managing financially and during the last 4 years I have bought more comics than I can shake a stick at. I haven't bought a single CD since the fire, but still have about 1500 albums that the firemen managed to save.

What I'm trying to say is that material things, can be replaced...even if they mean the world to you. Maybe later in life you'll find the means to replace them, of maybe you'll find something else to fill the void...but family and loved ones are the real road to happiness

Just what I thought it would grade. great book, great book.

Hey Lantern,

If you ever sell that Cap 110... let me know. I want first crack at it...

Presently, my Cap books and ECs are the only books that I am keeping. However, if or when I do sell it, you will be the first one I contact.

By the way, I had the book graded a while back....

cap110b.JPG

I agree with alot of what you are saying, family to me is flesh and blood. My wife, love her to death but can she be replaced? maybe. Now if this decision involves children than in my mind their is nothing to think about as my kids are my life. I would do anything for my kids and there is nothing I have that even comes close to as how importent they are in my world.

I look at my comic book collection as emergency money. I'll sell it to pay off any debts, bills, kids tuition fees, medical emergencies, etc. However, if it's used for frivolous things, then it should be discussed first. What if the wife comes and says "hey, why not sell those stupid funny books so we can go on a European trip for a month or something." I may enjoy the trip, but my collection would be gone. frown.gif

If I've mis-spealt anything I appolagize... I'm on my 4th 32 once White Russian.... affects the senses.)

You posted this at 4:30 in the morning? How ya feeling? 27_laughing.gif

Anyhow, why do you have to make this "hard decision" in the first place? Don't let the old lady make you sell your books b/c she thinks they're stupid, but if that's the only way you can provide your family with things they would otherwise not be able to enjoy, then sell them suckers! thumbsup2.gif

OG level headed?

27_laughing.gif

What are you smoking at the office today Scott?

Do you not remember the emotional rollercoasters OG takes us on every now and then?

( no offense OG.. you know I luv ya.... flowerred.gif)

Ze-

Oh wait.. you did say.. these topics. didnt you?...nevermind

Everything is for sale. That being said, if you have no debt, keep your stuff. If you have debt, sell your stuff to pay your debt off. You can always get your stuff back, but debt is forever.