• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aspen comics honouring Tuners legacy.....maybe NOT (rant)

318 posts in this topic

I think this cover is beautifully drawn..If you're a fan of the first Aspen Batman, I see no reason why you wouldn't like this one..

I don't let 'print runs' dictate if I purchase a comic or not..Thats flat out silly. If I like the author, the art etc Ill buy it...Period.

Purchased the set.

I think this cover is beautifully drawn..If you're a fan of the first Aspen Batman, I see no reason why you wouldn't like this one..

I don't let 'print runs' dictate if I purchase a comic or not..Thats flat out silly. If I like the author, the art etc Ill buy it...Period.

Purchased the set.

Agree 100%.

I think what this time shows is how many people were buying to flip with the previous releases.

With the fallout they had they should have just left them at 3k.

Funny when a book doesn't sell out in 10 minutes, it's a "failure". It'll still sell out just like the Harley did and the print one for it was much higher. Aspen made a great move at this print run...there's enough for true "collectors", the resellers have less interest, and they'll still sell out for more revenue. From a business stand-point, it was smart.

IMO it's just a less wanted title... The first All-Star Batman is tanking in price, this one probably will too. I know it's a Snyder book, but it's not Batman. Aspen should have kept the print run smaller. Turner collectors will still buy it, not sure if there are 5000 of them though.

Funny when a book doesn't sell out in 10 minutes, it's a "failure". It'll still sell out just like the Harley did and the print one for it was much higher. Aspen made a great move at this print run...there's enough for true "collectors", the resellers have less interest, and they'll still sell out for more revenue. From a business stand-point, it was smart.

From a business move it was terrible. It devalues the brand and drives less repeat traffic to the site and less social media talk and absolutely zero media articles about it. No publicity=no new people finding out about aspen. And that is entirely what these covers have been about. They aren't for the long time fans, they are to get Aspen out there in front of new people.

Purchased the set.

Well said. Love Turner's art, wanted this for the PC, set purchased.

Nobody said it was a failure. (shrug)

Time will tell if it sells out. One of the hottest artists right now, Dell 'Otto, hasn't even sold out of some amazing Batman and Harley store covers that were 3k/1.5k.

Edited by ygogolak

The Turner covers have gotten me to the Aspen site for sure. I've bought multiples of all of the covers for Batman, Harley Quinn, All-Star Batman, Justice League and Amazing Spider-Man and I'll buy Suicide Squad as well. I also picked up the Turner sketchbook and Batman t-shirt. After I buy Suicide Squad I'll have enough points to get a gift certificate. Problem is at that point I'm not sure what I'll spend it on unless they surprise us with something else. I'm not interested in the non-DC/Marvel stuff.

I'm not happy about the print run increases. From their standpoint though they will make more money this way. Sure it takes longer for the books to sell out but they do still sellout. They are selling them for $14.99 each. Clearly it doesn't cost anywhere near that to produce them. So, they are making some nice profit on these.

On the subject of All-Star Batman specifically, I think it is going to be a very successful book for DC. Snyder is the hottest Batman writer and the rotating cast of artists should prove interesting. The higher price point for the book might keep it out of the #1 spot behind the regular Batman title but I still expect it to do very well.

The joker cover is pretty amazing. Is it just me or does it look like Turner had put in multiple bat like symbols into the jokers tie, mouth, and forehead? Maybe I'm looking into it more than I should but it seems that way and if so it's even more badass.

Ok so Harley Quinn #1 has sold 400k copies.

With the pudding variant being limited to only 1k, what is that ratio? 1:400?!?

I could be wrong but I didn't see any other variants limited to that low of a number. I know technically it's not a ratio variant but just found that interesting.

Edited by SaucyRossy

I love the Joker cover, I'm definitely ordering a set. I really wish they had done a MLT Supergirl cover. I know it wasn't part of the program like these books were but Turner's Supergirl work is beautiful and would have made for a tremendous part of this set of books.

I love the Joker cover, I'm definitely ordering a set. I really wish they had done a MLT Supergirl cover. I know it wasn't part of the program like these books were but Turner's Supergirl work is beautiful and would have made for a tremendous part of this set of books.

I do like the Joker cover but wish they would have included at least Harley with him as well. Turner did a nice head sketch of Harley. Harley_Quinn_by_I5Spiders.jpg#harley%20q

I wish they had done a Supergirl cover as well. I love his Supergirl and he's done some great pics of Wonderwoman as well. Sadly the pic that they chose for the Justice League cover wasn't one of the better ones.

I do like the Joker cover but wish they would have included at least Harley with him as well. Turner did a nice head sketch of Harley. Harley_Quinn_by_I5Spiders.jpg#harley%20q

I wish they had done a Supergirl cover as well. I love his Supergirl and he's done some great pics of Wonderwoman as well. Sadly the pic that they chose for the Justice League cover wasn't one of the better ones.

That's a beautiful head sketch! There are some amazing WW sketches in the 2006 (I think) convention sketchbook of Turners that are fantastic

Edited by JLS Comics

I think most of the cover that Aspen is re-producing all belongs to Aspen or to the Turner's Family.

I think that Harley head sketch is from a private commission, so they can't really re-produced the sketch....

Agreed though, that would make a beautiful. Much better than Aspen's exclusive Harley cover.