• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy: Poll 10: 1st - 3rd

Silver Age Hierarchy - 1st to 3rd  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Silver Age Hierarchy - 1st to 3rd

58 posts in this topic

I voted for both AF15 and SC4 placing FF1 at the top.

IMHO FF1 is the Key Marvel book of the silver age. It simply started it all...

I feel the first 50 or so issues of the FF compare well (story wise) to all the over books in the silver age and is possibly my favourite run of the era. It is also responsible for launching many of the great characters that later impacted on the Marvel universe. Without the FF we wouldn't have Dr Doom, The Skrulls, The Kree, Silver Surfer. Galactus, Inhumans, Black Panther, Him (Adam Warlock) and the Silver-age Namor. 2c

I agree with everything stated, but who under 30 years old (myself included) actually cares about the FF4? I would be willing to bet most people defending the book grew up reading the Byrne or Silver Age run, but nothing of any consequence has been done on the title in nearly 30 years. Younger people need to have interest in these books for them to maintain value and interest.

I see your point... However, I am only 34 and see their relevance ;)

If we'd been asked to rank SA comics based on their monetary value and current interest, then that would be one thing, but we were asked to rank comics based on their importance.

US historians don't discount the importance of the Revolutionary War or Civil War because they were fought a long time ago, and nobody alive currently was a participant. To me, the importance of the Marvel SA superhero comic that started it all is forever lasting.

Spider-man was an immediate sensation and is the third (if not the second) most important creation in all of comic-dom of all time.

That AF 15 is the most important book of the SA is not even debatable.

-J.

lol

Of course it's debatable. That's what were doing right now. Would there have even been an AF15 if there hadn't have been a FF1?

In my mind this poll should end this way.

1. F.F.1

2.SC 4

3. AF 15

Agreed. That's how I voted. AF15 is the most important character today, but FF1 made it all possible to have the marvel world we have today.

By this rationale, SC 4 made FF 1 possible so SC 4 should be the most important (shrug)

No. SC4 was a reboot of an existing character. SC4 was not responsible for the juggernaut that is Marvel. FF1 was. :thumbsup:

Spider-man was an immediate sensation and is the third (if not the second) most important creation in all of comic-dom of all time.

-J.

So who are the 5 most important/popular super-heroes then: (1) Superman, (2) Batman, (3) Spider-Man, the first three are easy but #4 and #5 are tough: (4) Wolverine?, (5) Flash/Hulk/Thor/Iron-Man?

That's an incredibly interesting question. As you said, 1 thru 3 is easy, 4 and 5? Not so much. I would guess Wolverine and Hulk.

I would assume Wolverine is #4. #5 is the hard part.

Deadpool (gag)?

Wonder Woman?

Captain America?

The Flash?

The Hulk?

Captain Marvel? (the Shazam one not the Marvel one)

Wolverine is #4, and probably Iron Man is number 5. If we open it up to non superheroes, I think the list would have to change and we include Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse.

-J.

lol

Of course it's debatable. That's what were doing right now. Would there have even been an AF15 if there hadn't have been a FF1?

Maybe.

I voted in FF 1 as top dog. I can see the reasoning behind AF 15, but up into the 90's FF 1 was always the Marvel silver age key to have. The last 25 years hasn't been kind to the FF as a franchise, and in that same time AF 15 and Spidey have really dominated but I believe (monetary value aside) that FF 1 is the more important book for that specific era.

1. F.F.1

2.SC 4

3. AF 15

Agreed. That's how I voted. AF15 is the most important character today, but FF1 made it all possible to have the marvel world we have today.

By this rationale, SC 4 made FF 1 possible so SC 4 should be the most important (shrug)

No. SC4 was a reboot of an existing character. SC4 was not responsible for the juggernaut that is Marvel. FF1 was. :thumbsup:

SC 4 was reboot of a superhero. Had that bombed and not sold well, FF1 might not have happened. Therefore the juggernaut that is Marvel may not have been a juggernaut. This is the problem with rationalizing FF 1 being more important because "it started it". There were predecessors to FF 1 that "started it" before FF 1 "started it". Where do you draw the line?

I voted for both AF15 and SC4 placing FF1 at the top.

IMHO FF1 is the Key Marvel book of the silver age. It simply started it all...

I feel the first 50 or so issues of the FF compare well (story wise) to all the over books in the silver age and is possibly my favourite run of the era. It is also responsible for launching many of the great characters that later impacted on the Marvel universe. Without the FF we wouldn't have Dr Doom, The Skrulls, The Kree, Silver Surfer. Galactus, Inhumans, Black Panther, Him (Adam Warlock) and the Silver-age Namor. 2c

I agree with everything stated, but who under 30 years old (myself included) actually cares about the FF4? I would be willing to bet most people defending the book grew up reading the Byrne or Silver Age run, but nothing of any consequence has been done on the title in nearly 30 years. Younger people need to have interest in these books for them to maintain value and interest.

I see your point... However, I am only 34 and see their relevance ;)

If we'd been asked to rank SA comics based on their monetary value and current interest, then that would be one thing, but we were asked to rank comics based on their importance.

US historians don't discount the importance of the Revolutionary War or Civil War because they were fought a long time ago, and nobody alive currently was a participant. To me, the importance of the Marvel SA superhero comic that started it all is forever lasting.

I understand what your saying but based on your rationale would some these book even be on the list and as high as they are? Most of these books are on the list because of value and current interest with TOS 39 at 11 above ASM 1 or Strange Tales on the list at all, 5 years ago Strange Tales would not even have cracked into the top 30.

In my mind, AF 15 is in the number 1 spot, and I say that as someone who is an FF 1 honk; it's probably my favorite comic book. FF 1 at #2.

Showcase 4 is a hugely important book in the 3 spot, but I can't put it above the first appearance of one of the most popular fictional characters of the past 60 years, or the book that is essentially ground zero of the Marvel Universe.

Great contest, lots of fun discussion. Thanks to whoever put it all together.

1. F.F.1

2.SC 4

3. AF 15

^^

1. F.F.1

2.SC 4

3. AF 15

SC 4 was reboot of a superhero. Had that bombed and not sold well, FF1 might not have happened. Therefore the juggernaut that is Marvel may not have been a juggernaut. This is the problem with rationalizing FF 1 being more important because "it started it". There were predecessors to FF 1 that "started it" before FF 1 "started it". Where do you draw the line?

DC was still publishing heroes in their more childlike story telling manner. Marvel upended that with FF1. To me there is a clear difference.

4 years in the entire history of the comic book that resulted in the the creation of the superhero icons:

1938 - Superman

1939 - Batman

1962 - Spider-Man

1974 - Wolverine

These are the characters that are the greatest creations of the superhero genre.

FF 1 has it's place in history, one of the great SA teams where the original Kirby prototypes that first appeared in SC 6 were enhanced by Stan Lee's concept of the flawed superhero resulting in a revolutionary change. FF 1 started the Marvel SA and this was a turning point in the history of the genre. If we were to judge FF 1 exclusively on what this comic did for Marvel during the SA, the argument can be made that Reed and company's first appearance sits atop the hierarchy. However, the following decades saw a decline in FF's place among Marvel's hierarchy, especially when a certain book hit the newsstands before the Summer of '75. What's fantastic about the Four is that much of this book's staying power was based on its SA success- the talk among collectors about FF almost always ended up being about the SA FF. It's a testament to just how legendary the SA FF were and they will forever be remembered for their SA greatness. Some books end up defining their era- and manage to continue after the greatness has declined but the collective memory of the impact of that book remained. Eventually, the collective memory faded as new generations of comic book collectors came along until it was "4 No More."

The decline of the FF's place in the SA hierarchy is not due entirely to this faded collective memory. The first Marvel SA superhero comic will have its place in history behind the first appearance of one of the icons that continues to capture the generations of comic book collectors.

This is what happened in '62 when along came a spider...

Best,

John