• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lucas Museum of Narrative Art back to SF (or LA)

21 posts in this topic

The “Star Wars” creator and Marin County resident announced Friday that he is abandoning his efforts to build a $700 million Lucas Museum of Narrative Art in Chicago. The new contenders are SF's Treasure Island, with SF's Mayor and Board of Supervisors united in the effort, and his alma mater of USC.

Some will recall that the Presidio Trust shot down Lucas's original proposal to site the museum in SF's Presidio (where Lucas business is housed) causing Lucas to flee to Chicago. Looks like SF might land the museum, which will end up being the most prestigious comic/cartoon/pulp/illustration museum, anyway. Great news now that the Cartoon Art Museum is in hibernation.

Now if SF could just get a comic con back.

He wanted to build it there in the first place and the city blew it. I'm not sure it's going to be any different the second time.

Same with Wondercon. No city support for it.

Build it in LA.

He wanted to build it there in the first place and the city blew it. I'm not sure it's going to be any different the second time.

Build it in LA.

Lucas had the full support of the SF city govt., and Senators Feinstein and Boxer and Rep. Pelosi. But, the museum was axed by the Board of the Presidio Trust, a non-governmental entity which controls the federal land comprising the Presidio. Treasure Island is SF city land, so the pro-Lucas forces are in the driver's seat.

As for Wondercon, it had city support, but it was, IMHO, moved largely as a test for moving SDCC to Anaheim. With the expansion of the Anaheim convention center, the days of SDCC being in SD could be numbered.

Build it in LA.

Lucas had the full support of the SF city govt., and Senators Feinstein and Boxer and Rep. Pelosi. But, the museum was axed by the Board of the Presidio Trust, a non-governmental entity which controls the federal land comprising the Presidio. Treasure Island is SF city land, so the pro-Lucas forces are in the driver's seat.

As for Wondercon, it had city support, but it was, IMHO, moved largely as a test for moving SDCC to Anaheim. With the expansion of the Anaheim convention center, the days of SDCC being in SD could be numbered.

SDCC's future is going to hinge a lot on the Downtown stadium proposal and how well that goes. There are two competing proposals that will be on the ballot in a few months, one of which calls for a big tax increase in hotels. That would add $$ to what is already an expensive con visit for most people.

Build it in LA.

No that's not true. If you ever went to the SDCC talkback you'd know the organizers talked about for several years before Wondercon ever left SF about how the city was not wanting to work with them (like SD many years ago) and they were looking into other options.

As for SDCC ever moving north they already have a LA con (Wondercon) so there would be little point in moving back to Anaheim after leaving it for LA. Also the NYCC are rumored to be interested in SD if the con was ever to leave giving them a east/west coast mega cons. Something not lost on the current organizers in SD. Convention center expansion will probably happen in some form in the future but for now it's a great bargaining tool.

I was visiting family in SF recently and it was my understanding the support on Lucas was being received as mixed at best based on what I was hearing at the time. I'd rather see it in SF but I believe LA will be way less hoops for him.

The Star Wars creator and Marin County resident announced Friday that he is abandoning his efforts to build a $700 million Lucas Museum of Narrative Art in Chicago. The new contenders are SF's Treasure Island, with SF's Mayor and Board of Supervisors united in the effort, and his alma mater of USC.

Some will recall that the Presidio Trust shot down Lucas's original proposal to site the museum in SF's Presidio (where Lucas business is housed) causing Lucas to flee to Chicago. Looks like SF might land the museum, which will end up being the most prestigious comic/cartoon/pulp/illustration museum, anyway. Great news now that the Cartoon Art Museum is in hibernation.

Now if SF could just get a comic con back.

X10000000000000000000 i would spend lots of money at Wonder-con now thats an hour drive for COMIC BOOKS NOT TOYS :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:

Small group here in Chicago really messed this up here. 85% of the city was behind it including Rahm Emanuel and the city council. Lucas lives here half the year too and has donated a ton of money to various city causes. Can't believe we lost it---wouldn't be surprised though if it ends up back here now that they have pulled the plug in the media. a lot of people are not giving up on this. would have loved to have it here.

What's not clear from that article is what Lucas was asking the city to do. Did he want a big subsidy to build there? Or did he just want the land donated for the museum?

The city wasn't willing to give him the 1,000 acres and 17 trillion needed for his mini Death Star attraction. There was also some concern about its super laser accidently going off and vaporizing the city.

I think the real deal breaker though was him insisting on New York style pizza being served in its food court.... :devil:

I think the real deal breaker though was him insisting on New York style pizza being served in its food court.... :devil:

Perfectly understandable.

Uno's :cloud9:

Build it in LA.

No that's not true. If you ever went to the SDCC talkback you'd know the organizers talked about for several years before Wondercon ever left SF about how the city was not wanting to work with them (like SD many years ago) and they were looking into other options.

As for SDCC ever moving north they already have a LA con (Wondercon) so there would be little point in moving back to Anaheim after leaving it for LA. Also the NYCC are rumored to be interested in SD if the con was ever to leave giving them a east/west coast mega cons. Something not lost on the current organizers in SD. Convention center expansion will probably happen in some form in the future but for now it's a great bargaining tool.

I was visiting family in SF recently and it was my understanding the support on Lucas was being received as mixed at best based on what I was hearing at the time. I'd rather see it in SF but I believe LA will be way less hoops for him.

You are wrong about SF support for Lucas. Deirdre Hussey, a spokesperson for San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee, said on Friday that Lee’s office and some supervisors “are working closely with the Lucas team to have a home for his world-class collection on Treasure Island.” “I think it would be wonderful,” Nancy Pelosi said of the possibility that the museum might land in San Francisco after all. “This is ‘Star Wars’’ home. It should be here.”

The Chicago museum was killed due to law suits and that obstacle can't be overcome. Chicago is toast. It is SF or USC now.

The Lucas museum proposal at the Presidio was wildly popular and supported, but was killed by the Presidio Trust Board. They have no role in Treasure Island. Media reports state:

Lucas’ designers have met a number of times with city staffers and the island’s developers, Wilson Meany and Lennar Corp. The companies have already completed the city’s required environmental review process and secured entitlements on a separate project to build 8,000 homes, 400,000 square feet of commercial space and two hotels. The city approvals also allow for construction of either a museum or community facilities on Treasure Island. Although the museum deal would require approval from the Board of Supervisors and the Treasure Island Development Authority, it probably wouldn’t need to run the gantlet of regional and state agencies that have to approve some waterfront projects.

We'll see but either way good for both (Lucas and SF) if they can get it done.

Lawsuits these days often are by the minority voices who stop these types of projects and not majority voices.

Thanks to a legal system that allows corrupt lawyers and groups to serve their own agendas.

So good to SF if they can get something done.

Since I can't get into SD any more, I love having WonderCon in So Cal. If San Diego moved to Anahiem, I might be able to go back.

As much as I like having WonderCon where it is now, I really liked in SF more. Had a different vibe. Got to see a lot more of my No Cal friends. And best of all, it usually was the same weekend as the Alameda Antique flea market. 3-4 days of comics AND junk. I don't see it returning.

Someone should do an Anaheim con in the fall to give So-Cal a year round con feel... :grin:

The Long Beach con at end of Sept. is usually a fun show. A little light on GA/SA dealers for my liking but I always manage to go home with something that makes me happy. They also have real decent comic book guests usually, including Stan Lee when he feels like it.