• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Comic Convention ( CalComicCon) 2017
2 2

210 posts in this topic

I witnessed an awesome gesture by one of the vendor when an attendee asked to take a picture of the book that was in a case. The vendor actually took the book out of the display case and handed the person the book. :applause:

The book...an Action Comics #1. :acclaim:

Did you get a pic

I witnessed an awesome gesture by one of the vendor when an attendee asked to take a picture of the book that was in a case. The vendor actually took the book out of the display case and handed the person the book. :applause:

Did you get a pic

Um...no...I didn't even think about it. doh!

Did you get a pic

Um...no...I didn't even think about it. doh!

:makepoint:

Another great show Terry. It was a blast meeting all you guys that I truly admire. The forum dinner was awesome, It felt like we knew each other for our whole lives instead of just a moment in time.

Edited by oakman29

Another great show Terry. It was a blast meeting all you guys that I truly admire. The forum dinner was awesome, It felt like we knew each other for our whole lives instead of just a moment in time.

What did you buy Kirby Hulk I did not call you a cab. lol

What did you buy Kirby Hulk

Naw, just a bunch of horror mags. Lots of Frazetta stuff.

(thumbs u Fun is Fun i was going to drive im 45min north of SF but had a sick little girl really hate to have been left out :censored:

(thumbs u Fun is Fun i was going to drive im 45min north of SF but had a sick little girl really hate to have been left out :censored:

There's always next year, mark it on your calendar. (thumbs u

I love Terry's show as it reminds me of the shows of my youth in high school in New York. I managed to score a haul for $150. which is probably equivalent to the $20. I used to bring to those New York shows and come home with a nice bundle. Thanks to Tony Rialoa for the strip reprint books and Ron Murray for the Animal Comics. There was a group of EC war books next to Howard Chaykin I would have picked up if I had another $100. on me.

There was plenty of nice Golden Age to be had as well but I wasn't in the market for the higher end books today but man if I had been this was the place to be.

I'll post a Red Ryder Paul book in Robot Man's thread and the Animal comics will get posted in the Kelly thread.

Thanks Terry for putting on such a great show!!

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

I'm sitting here at the airport in CA with too much time on my hands waiting on my flight back home to Boston, so what better way to utilize it than to shout out to Terry and anyone wanting to know how the show was how simply fantastic it really was. The site was perfect for the show and parking was easy and close as I arrived right at the opening bell of 9:30 and the crowd of approx 300 + breezed right in, I'm sure more arrived later. The show was busy from beginning to end and there was never really a die down. I highly recommend both dealers and buyers add this show for next year. Well worth my 3000 mile trip.

So who did I get the chance to meet? Let me see if I can recall: (sorry if I missed your name or spelled it wrong) and not in any order of favorites,but Oakman29 did not disappoint as he represented the whole entire state of California the night before at a boardie dinner that was MCed kinda by the ever loving Columbia Comics, yes he did pick up the tab on all the grub we could shovel down, what a sport. The legendary Ciorac was set up and keeping himself relevant. He knows everyone, and has more stories than Stan Lee. MikesRack impressed me with his abilities to stack golden age piles of books on a budget with great speed. He was there the whole day and I guess he my be taking tomorrow off after that long ride back to AZ. GAflash was representing Atlanta, nicest guy you'd ever meet. At the show, you know it's a little work trying to figure out who's on the boards and then trying to remember. But I did meet Gregg, RMA, Dr Love, Bumblekitty whom I did buy a slabbed Untamed Love #1, I met buttock and shook his hand, I met Robotman who was taking pics of boardies so I'm sure he's planning on posing mug shots at some point. There was more and I'm sure I'll remember, just can't right now.

So what did I buy? Well my buying style was just wrong for this style of show. I like to take my once around scan of all the walls first before making any serious buys. This was poor planning on my behalf as books were being vacuumed up in that meantime. Next time I need to move a whole lot faster. Nevertheless I found books that I liked at prices I was happy to pay. These are them

IMG_3188_zpsktxhekt1.jpg

I undoubtedly will go back next year as it was a buyers dream to be at a show that cared about how it used to be and how it should be with books you'd hope to find. No joke this show. Just good mojo all around and all day long.

Terry, thank you for the great show! This is slowly replacing SDCC in my book. But the one negative of the show is the parking. If you got there around 10:30, there was no parking! That never happened before. That is how well attended the show is! Parking did become available by about 2 PM.

I can't wait until next year!

I'm sitting here at the airport in CA with too much time on my hands waiting on my flight back home to Boston, so what better way to utilize it than to shout out to Terry and anyone wanting to know how the show was how simply fantastic it really was. The site was perfect for the show and parking was easy and close as I arrived right at the opening bell of 9:30 and the crowd of approx 300 + breezed right in, I'm sure more arrived later. The show was busy from beginning to end and there was never really a die down. I highly recommend both dealers and buyers add this show for next year. Well worth my 3000 mile trip.

So who did I get the chance to meet? Let me see if I can recall: (sorry if I missed your name or spelled it wrong) and not in any order of favorites,but Oakman29 did not disappoint as he represented the whole entire state of California the night before at a boardie dinner that was MCed kinda by the ever loving Columbia Comics, yes he did pick up the tab on all the grub we could shovel down, what a sport. The legendary Ciorac was set up and keeping himself relevant. He knows everyone, and has more stories than Stan Lee. MikesRack impressed me with his abilities to stack golden age piles of books on a budget with great speed. He was there the whole day and I guess he my be taking tomorrow off after that long ride back to AZ. GAflash was representing Atlanta, nicest guy you'd ever meet. At the show, you know it's a little work trying to figure out who's on the boards and then trying to remember. But I did meet Gregg, RMA, Dr Love, Bumblekitty whom I did buy a slabbed Untamed Love #1, I met buttock and shook his hand, I met Robotman who was taking pics of boardies so I'm sure he's planning on posing mug shots at some point. There was more and I'm sure I'll remember, just can't right now.

So what did I buy? Well my buying style was just wrong for this style of show. I like to take my once around scan of all the walls first before making any serious buys. This was poor planning on my behalf as books were being vacuumed up in that meantime. Next time I need to move a whole lot faster. Nevertheless I found books that I liked at prices I was happy to pay. These are them

IMG_3188_zpsktxhekt1.jpg

I undoubtedly will go back next year as it was a buyers dream to be at a show that cared about how it used to be and how it should be with books you'd hope to find. No joke this show. Just good mojo all around and all day long.

:applause::applause::applause:

IMG_3188_zpsktxhekt1.jpg

It was awesome to meet you buddy. :headbang:

IMG_3188_zpsktxhekt1.jpg

It was awesome to meet you buddy. :headbang:

Same bud. Can't wait til next year.

IMG_3188_zpsktxhekt1.jpg

IMG_3188_zpsktxhekt1.jpg

t

Glad you had fun junk. Nice meeting you. Real nice haul. I would have been all over that Guns Against Gangsters and Slave Girl if I had seen them first. Like Junk said, nearly every booth had killer stuff like this. I never made it through all the dealers because I had to set up and sell. Lots of nice new collections to pick from and the weather couldn't have been better.

Many thanks to Terry and all the vendors for another great show!

I was fortunate to chat with so many boardies, I lost track of them all.

Tons of books everywhere, this show definitely has a grand 'old time' feel to it. :)

I have to echo everyone's sentiments about this show. I came in with a fixed budget and blew through that after buying books ifrom A-1 and Jamie Graham. I am super stoked for next year. I missed out on all the get togethers, as I still have no energy from the residual effects of the flu bug I picked up a few weeks ago.

Major Kudos to the following dealers as they had a great selection and were easy to work with.

Brian Peets

Jamie Graham

Ron Murry

Harley Yee

Phil Schaeffer

Allan Bahr

Bill Cioric

Dan from hockey as his last name escapes me.

And Terry for putting on another great show.

Some of the purchases I made.

Hulk 181

Iron Man 55

Special Marvel Edition 15 (3 copies)

Iron Man 1

Batman 232

A nice incomplete starlin run of Captain Marvel from 25-34. It was missing issue 33.

And a mess of moderns that were reasonably priced that included ThebKillingbJoke, Miracle Man 15, NYX 3, Captain America 217.

I will say that if you were looking for Golden age there was not reason to leave this show empty handed.