• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying Collections for Flea Markets/Shops

73 posts in this topic

I've been trying to buy up books in order to get a good bit of back issue stock to open a small shop. It got me wondering what people who own shops or set up at flea markets expect to pay for books intended for resale.

I know it all depends on the worth of the books, but what about a few thousand dollar-bin books? Would you expect to pay 20¢ an issue? 10¢? What if there are some $5-10 books here and there in the collection as well? Just trying to get a feel for things.

10 cents if it's bagged and boarded personal collection stuff. Excellent condition if it's 90's and newer, most would probably say 70's or newer but I'd buy some mid grade CA/BA and add it to my own collection in a worst case scenario.

If it's unbagged, poor quality drek, or a bunch of multiples of the same dealer overstock hot issue from 1992, maybe a penny per issue.

If it's high grade BA/SA I'd come here and ask for advice lol

In last three weeks at same Antique Mall, I bought Iron Jaws #1 (VF/NM) for $6, Battle #27 & 37 (both VG) for $45 and Tales to Astonish #60 - Giant Man and Incredible Hulk as Double Features begins (GD/VG to VG-) for $5. Two dealers are comic collectors so I have to wait to see any better books to be available. I passed FF #46 due to heavy spine roll with many tears. It was asked for $30.

The one thing I would warn you on if opening up a comic shop it to remember, your inventory of unsold new issues becoming your back issue inventory continues to grow, but the size of your store does not.

Rent is not cheap, and storage space is scarce. You will find that you may regret buying too much inventory that will end up sitting, collecting dust, taking up room. So, be aware that the purpose of running a shop is to sell/move inventory profitably. A big assortment of unsellable inventory is sensory overload to a customer and not impressive.

Try to get more quality over quantity.

Don't riddle your store with junk dollar bin books or your store will get that reputation of having junk. Especially if you are buying other people's trash titles (old Image, Top Cow, Indies, etc from the mid 1990's to present) have a few, but limit the quantity.

Presentation is key, and while some stores do the treasure hunt and throw stuff in bulk boxes, being organized will boost the perception of your inventory and also enable you to charge a little more rather than relegate books to a junk clearance pile. In that way also, when collectors go treasure hunting to find their needles in your haystack, if the books are kept in the best possible condition, that is always best. Dollar bin books tend to get treated like trash.

A lot of times collectors donate their collections to comic stores or come in offering to sell or trade. You may get better quality inventory that way too.

The one thing I would warn you on if opening up a comic shop it to remember, your inventory of unsold new issues becoming your back issue inventory continues to grow, but the size of your store does not.

Rent is not cheap, and storage space is scarce. You will find that you may regret buying too much inventory that will end up sitting, collecting dust, taking up room. So, be aware that the purpose of running a shop is to sell/move inventory profitably. A big assortment of unsellable inventory is sensory overload to a customer and not impressive.

Don't riddle your store with junk dollar bin books or your store will get that reputation of having junk. Especially if you are buying other people's trash titles (old Image, Top Cow, Indies, etc from the mid 1990's to present) have a few, but limit the quantity.

Presentation is key, and while some stores do the treasure hunt and throw stuff in bulk boxes, being organized will boost the perception of your inventory and also enable you to charge a little more rather than relegate books to a junk clearance pile. In that way also, when collectors go treasure hunting to find their needles in your haystack, if the books are kept in the best possible condition, that is always best. Dollar bin books tend to get treated like trash.

A lot of times collectors donate their collections to comic stores or come in offering to sell or trade. You may get better quality inventory that way too.

Lone Star Comics aka mycomicshop.com has been in business since 1961 starting as the mail order store. Many years later, they had 6 stores before they started the e-commerce in 1996. The market hit bottom hard in 2008. Lone Star Comics decided to close three stores and sold other three stores. They downsized to one store - an online store only. That place looks like a warehouse so they can afford the rent.

That's a good point. I never thought of it like that because I've just been thinking of having a lot of back issues. Thank you for the input!

I love reading that thread. I plan on looking up to see if there are any places in my area. I've never been to an antique mall or flea market before.

Note that there is no turnkey business plan for you. Many people here make a living ( or supplemental income) based on buying/selling of comics - and all have differences.

So - lets look at this from another point of view -

You want to potentially sell at flea markets - yet have not been to one?

Not being mean - but that is a business plan headed for disaster.

I would suggest you look into the journals

FT88 has a "one man show" journal

youmechooz- has one about setting up a shop

Neither are "complete" (and I would not expect either of them to present a full business model ) - but they should give you a glimpse of what it takes to START a business like this.

For a brick and mortar shop - have lots of $$$ on hand. Bare estimates are $50K and up as a nut for the first year alone.

If you are only looking to do local shows - GATOR has a post about what it takes. Note that he is in the UPPER echelon of sellers/dealers ( full B&M shop and travels to major shows with inventory that is off the charts) - but his methods can be scaled down for local shows.

In the end - it is a LOT of work - for sometimes not so much $$$$ - ESPECIALLY FOR A BEGINNER.

No matter what - have a fallback plan. Not only are there a lot of people buying and selling - it is a very risky market.

when buying a collection from someone, you need to decide what %ROI works for you. I found it's not easy to find sellers willing to let go of their collections for $1's or cents... when everyone knows what books are worth these days with the Internet, etc.

Over the past 7-8 months I've been actively shopping around for collections, stacks of books with the intention to resell.

1 big point to consider: what is your time worth?

What ROI do you need to clear in order to make a profit (after all LCS expenses).

In order to answer the above 2 questions, you need to figure out what your overhead costs will be.

Is the plan just to buy cheap books and sell cheap? If so, ask yourself is it worth your time and $ to open a store. For example, assume you get 100 longs, gratis. Call it 30,000 books. If they're $1 books and you sell through 100% (no way, but assume for this you do). That's $30,000. Less rent, utilities, taxes, ... Worth it?

I had found a collection of approximately 5,000 books for $600. Mostly copper/modern age. I was just thinking only 12 cents a issue, but it would take forever to sell them and there aren't any keys. I decided to finally pass.

I have a small part time shop. Usually only open weekends. I mostly buy bulk and resell to dealers who sell at conventions. I used to do bigger shows in the Los Angeles area. Wonder con, long beach etc.. But promoters are raising table prices every year and I don't know how most comic dealers make decent money paying all their profits to these guys. I can usually get long boxes from 10 to 30 bucks a piece depending on quality and who's selling. I cherry pick the boxes (sometimes find some nice keys) and sell off the bulk to other dealers. Luckily, my rent is really low and the shop works as a great place for people to come sell their books. Unless you have really high end books I'd stay away from shows as promoters are fleecing these blue collar dealers with ridiculous table prices

I had found a collection of approximately 5,000 books for $600. Mostly copper/modern age. I was just thinking only 12 cents a issue, but it would take forever to sell them and there aren't any keys. I decided to finally pass.

5,000 is what - 15 long boxes? So $40 ish per long box. I'd grab it myself especially if its not dealer overstock from the 90s. Seems like bulk blow out (90s left overs) long boxes are between $20 - $25 a long box. But I also find its fun to hunt for the gems and don't mind 15 long boxes sitting in my basement for a few months.

- an this is where you have to get that business plan in place -

No matter what - you need to be able to store and move the "bulk". How much bulk you have - may be dependent on sales venue.

The collection listed - if they are bagged and boarded (sellable as is) - this is good for a $1 sale - at a low rent area like a flea market - IF dollar books move at the local flea market....

Scout the locations - see if there are comics sellers at the recurring markets. Search through the boxes and chat up the seller. See if they have a lot of foot traffic - and compare prices.

Large lots like that - can be profitable IF you have the strategy and outlet to move them quickly. A B&M store - is probably not the right place for these books- large flea market with lots of foot traffic - may be ideal.

Will take sorting - but you can get runs pulled and priced - pull books that can be priced for $2 and up into separate boxes.

Get as many nice "runs" as you can separated out. These are great for moving volume.

Have that 1-2 boxes of the "better" books there - and the rest at $1 each and sell the snot out of them. Take any reasonable offer - and drop prices throughout the day. If there is enough traffic over the day - you get the buy-in back and more. Once you clear that buy-in - you can then drop prices further just to get rid of what is left.