• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brooklyn recognizing favorite fantasy son

38 posts in this topic

Uh-ohhhh. There's a mass revolution against the Cap statue. Or, at least three people questioning its placement.

Some Brooklyn Residents Take Issue With Captain America Statue Coming to Park

The NY Post found three people in Prospect Park in Brooklyn, NY that don't like the Captain America statue - which hasn't actually gone up in the park yet, and will only be there for two weeks - and has concluded that "Brooklynites object to" the statue.

Some of the not at all made-up sounding quotes include one Katie Maitland saying, "Are they going to put a McDonald's here, too, and a Walmart?" Not only are Walmarts not allowed by law within New York City limits, but equating a two-week art installation with a fully operational big box store or fast food restaurant is a bit of a leap.

None-the-less, the city approved the installation, a temporary one being placed from Wednesday August 10 until August 23, which celebrates Captain America's 75th Anniversary. The character is very publicly in both the comics and the multi-billion-dollar grossing feature films, from Brooklyn, hence the choice of installation (Another fan was quoted as confused as to why it's going there, failing to note the "I'm just a kid from Brooklyn" and "Hometown Pride" prominently written on the statue's base.). After Prospect Park, the statue will move to Barclays Center (home to the Brooklyn Nets and NY Islanders sports teams, as well as many concert events) until the end of September, and in front of a Sunset Park Bed, Bath, & Beyond from October until the end of the year.

:ohnoez:

To tell you the truth, I am kind of meh about it and do not believe it has a place in a city park as a permanent installation.

If any of you are familiar with Pete's Basement YouTube channel they are going down there to film some stuff for their next show. I was thinking of heading down there with them to check it out but it is a disgusting and muggy day.

It would be nice if the City could rehab the overgrown graffiti ridden monument to the Maryland 400. They might not have been kids from Brooklyn but they fought and died buying time for Geoge Washington to evacuate his army after the Battle of Long Island.

Four hundred Marylanders held off some 14,000 Enemy, with 256 of them dying and all but ten of the survivors were wounded and captured.

I love Cap, but a Parks Department that can't maintain monuments to real heroes shouldn't be engaging in publicity stunts.

It would be nice if the City could rehab the overgrown graffiti ridden monument to the Maryland 400. They might not have been kids from Brooklyn but they fought and died buying time for Geoge Washington to evacuate his army after the Battle of Long Island.

Four hundred Marylanders held off some 14,000 Enemy, with 256 of them dying and all but ten of the survivors were wounded and captured.

I love Cap, but a Parks Department that can't maintain monuments to real heroes shouldn't be engaging in publicity stunts.

There's a lot of dilapidated monuments and statues in NYC that need some lovin'. I wouldn't mind seeing Civic Virtue restored and brought back to Queens Blvd, even though some people consider it mysoginistic. It's a really beautiful statue, and it's a shame that it's now rotting away in a Brooklyn cemetery.

str.jpg

To tell you the truth, I am kind of meh about it and do not believe it has a place in a city park as a permanent installation.

If any of you are familiar with Pete's Basement YouTube channel they are going down there to film some stuff for their next show. I was thinking of heading down there with them to check it out but it is a disgusting and muggy day.

It's gross out today. Ramon sweats and wipes his brow constantly like a southern preacher in Pete's Basement, if he goes outside today I'm afraid he'll melt.

I just didn't realize the Brooklyn park where this is going to land was a temporary spot while final decisions are being made. It really is a sharp statue of a cool character.

It would be nice to see it land somewhere that it can be truly appreciated.

It's gross out today. Ramon sweats and wipes his brow constantly like a southern preacher in Pete's Basement, if he goes outside today I'm afraid he'll melt.

Ha- I know Pete personally. I'm texting him this now. lol

I know he's up late so figured I would text him now

EDIT: oops had to edit a word and I put some money in the swear jar

Doing this all on my phone since the Internet is out

6B97BF99-C41B-4DF3-8813-265244804D22.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

I know he's up late so figured I would text him now

EDIT: oops had to edit a word and I put some money in the swear jar

Doing this all on my phone since the Internet is out

6B97BF99-C41B-4DF3-8813-265244804D22.jpg

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

That's awesome! They have the best comic book show/podcast out there, IMHO. They cover all the new releases without being too big 2-centric. I've picked up some good books on their recommendations that I probably would've passed on otherwise. Petes got a nice collection of back issues and statues that he mixes in with the new releases, they get some good creators to come on the show. And in true NY fashion, they drink booze, curse, eat zeppoles, and talk about Yankee baseball. What's not to like? :applause:

The NY Post found three people in Prospect Park in Brooklyn, NY that don't like the Captain America statue - which hasn't actually gone up in the park yet, and will only be there for two weeks - and has concluded that "Brooklynites object to" the statue.

Some of the not at all made-up sounding quotes include one Katie Maitland saying, "Are they going to put a McDonald's here, too, and a Walmart?" Not only are Walmarts not allowed by law within New York City limits, but equating a two-week art installation with a fully operational big box store or fast food restaurant is a bit of a leap.

None-the-less, the city approved the installation, a temporary one being placed from Wednesday August 10 until August 23, which celebrates Captain America's 75th Anniversary. The character is very publicly in both the comics and the multi-billion-dollar grossing feature films, from Brooklyn, hence the choice of installation (Another fan was quoted as confused as to why it's going there, failing to note the "I'm just a kid from Brooklyn" and "Hometown Pride" prominently written on the statue's base.). After Prospect Park, the statue will move to Barclays Center (home to the Brooklyn Nets and NY Islanders sports teams, as well as many concert events) until the end of September, and in front of a Sunset Park Bed, Bath, & Beyond from October until the end of the year.

I just didn't realize the Brooklyn park where this is going to land was a temporary spot while final decisions are being made. It really is a sharp statue of a cool character.

It would be nice to see it land somewhere that it can be truly appreciated.

You're right, Bed, Bath & Beyond will never appreciate the First Avenger. They'll always be comparing him to this guy:

open-uri20150422-20810-a07syh_9331bd0a.jpeg

I went to visit the statue yesterday. Pretty impressive! About 200 others there enduring the rain.

20160810_123352.jpg

Was standing 5 feet from Dave Cortez the whole time. Then after Axel Alonso and others spoke, cameras went to him and I found out he was involved in its design lol

20160810_134403.jpg

The Red Skull and Agent Carter were there as well (thumbs u

image_20160810_123643_1470847397094.jpg

Now I want a replica!

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

The last episode of Animal Kingdom lays out a perfect plan to steal such a public statue.

Does this mean you want me to get shipping quotes for freight from here to Vegas? 

Edited by Buzzetta