• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artist Tells Marvel VP Not to Bother Him after He Shows Interest in His art

71 posts in this topic

ZEVB1hl.pngGYoZNOW.png

That final "Oh Well." is the tell. If he truly encounters talent it's his JOB to try and make a proper introduction or inquire as to who the artist was. In short: A better effort.

Unless you're self-absorbed, think talent is as common as table salt and... oh well (his loss). Chow time, soon if not now.

I don't think so. The artist should have had a better attitude with this guy or any other lay person interested in looking at his work. This talent scout had no obligation to announce who he was, actually better he didn't. You never know who you may be speaking with and should always be respectful, courteous, and professional be it a CEO, barista or taxi driver.

The artist may have been brilliant but is a jerk. Best to never hire a brilliant jerk.

I agree totally with you. You never know who you are talking with and being polite can open up doors that were not there before.

How would you possibly know the artist is/was a jerk? None of us can unless we were there. Like others have said, there's too much missing information to lean one way or the other. You don't know how the Marvel guy approached the artist, which could have made the artist react in a certain way. Same goes for the opposite as well.

This reminded me of this:

Back in 2002 I worked at NikeTown. The store was completely dead one day, so a group of us were discussing Jordan sneakers; which Jordan's were our favorite, which ones we didn't like, which ones weren't comfortable, etc. I was pretty knowledgeable about Jordan sneakers back then, but a couple of my coworkers were HUGE sneaker heads and passionate Jordan sneakers collectors... to the point that they were a arrogant about it.

The conversation eventually broke up, but the two sneaker heads continued it. A bit later I noticed a guy approached them and shortly walk away from them looking perplexed. The guy walked to my area, so I asked if he needed help with anything and he said "no thanks, I'm just looking." He saw I was wearing Jordan's and struck up conversation about them. Soon enough a couple other coworkers joined in and we had a really excited conversation about Jordan sneakers. At one point the guy thanked us for being so passionate about Jordan product, for all the great feedback and for being cool people. He pointed at the two sneaker heads, said he'd tried to strike a conversation with them and they'd been dismissive and arrogant.

He then took out his wallet and gave my two coworkers and me his business card. We saw they were from Jordan Brand and when we flipped them, we realized we were talking to Larry Miller, the president of Jordan Brand! He took our names, gave us the name of his secretary and asked us to call on Monday. When I called on Monday, the secretary said she was expecting my call and asked me for my sneaker size and mailing address. I gave her my info and a few days later I received a pair of exclusive Jordan sneakers that were never sold in stores. My co-workers both received sneakers too!

As for the two sneaker heads, all they got was ENVIOUS of our sneakers! Had they not been rude, it probably would have been them getting free exclusive kickz!

The moral of the story is that you shouldn't be a "Richard" with people for no reason.

Thanks for the info! When I was growing up in the 1970s and 1980s, my first career aspiration was to be a comic book artist.

Me too! :cloud9:

Back in 2002 I worked at NikeTown. The store was completely dead one day, so a group of us were discussing Jordan sneakers; which Jordan's were our favorite, which ones we didn't like, which ones weren't comfortable, etc. I was pretty knowledgeable about Jordan sneakers back then, but a couple of my coworkers were HUGE sneaker heads and passionate Jordan sneakers collectors... to the point that they were a arrogant about it.

The conversation eventually broke up, but the two sneaker heads continued it. A bit later I noticed a guy approached them and shortly walk away from them looking perplexed. The guy walked to my area, so I asked if he needed help with anything and he said "no thanks, I'm just looking." He saw I was wearing Jordan's and struck up conversation about them. Soon enough a couple other coworkers joined in and we had a really excited conversation about Jordan sneakers. At one point the guy thanked us for being so passionate about Jordan product, for all the great feedback and for being cool people. He pointed at the two sneaker heads, said he'd tried to strike a conversation with them and they'd been dismissive and arrogant.

He then took out his wallet and gave my two coworkers and me his business card. We saw they were from Jordan Brand and when we flipped them, we realized we were talking to Larry Miller, the president of Jordan Brand! He took our names, gave us the name of his secretary and asked us to call on Monday. When I called on Monday, the secretary said she was expecting my call and asked me for my sneaker size and mailing address. I gave her my info and a few days later I received a pair of exclusive Jordan sneakers that were never sold in stores. My co-workers both received sneakers too!

As for the two sneaker heads, all they got was ENVIOUS of our sneakers! Had they not been rude, it probably would have been them getting free exclusive kickz!

The moral of the story is that you shouldn't be a "Richard" with people for no reason.

Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.

ZEVB1hl.pngGYoZNOW.png

My first impression is someone has a big ego. Is everyone supposed to know that guy from Marvel and who he is? I don't know him and never heard of him. There are two sides to every story so I probably shouldn't have jumped to that assumption but the way the tweet was written makes it seem like everyone should know this guy and how "powerful" he is to an artist's career.

When the marvel guy asked to see the portfolio were they all talking? did he interrupt? did he introduce himself? were the people genuinely helping each other out and they thought that he was just some random guy to look at the cool drawings?

I feel like we are missing something

I think you're jumping to conclusions. We really don't know much about the interaction. Perhaps he has a big ego or perhaps he politely asked to see the work and they couldn't give him the time of day or were rude.

ZEVB1hl.pngGYoZNOW.png

My first impression is someone has a big ego. Is everyone supposed to know that guy from Marvel and who he is? I don't know him and never heard of him. There are two sides to every story so I probably shouldn't have jumped to that assumption but the way the tweet was written makes it seem like everyone should know this guy and how "powerful" he is to an artist's career.

When the marvel guy asked to see the portfolio were they all talking? did he interrupt? did he introduce himself? were the people genuinely helping each other out and they thought that he was just some random guy to look at the cool drawings?

I think you're jumping to conclusions. We really don't know much about the interaction. Perhaps he has a big ego or perhaps he politely asked to see the work and they couldn't give him the time of day or were rude.

If not the big ego, why post it on social media? This is what gets me. I suppose he could just be stupid and posts everything he sees in a day. I've been known to overestimate people than underestimate them.

Great story EB! I love when stuff like that happens.

HAH !! Great story Ernesto !!! I love it !!

How did you like the shoes ?

HAH !! Great story Ernesto !!! I love it !!

How did you like the shoes ?

The sneakers were great and good conversation pieces every time I wore them. Customers always wanted to know where to buy them.

ZEVB1hl.pngGYoZNOW.png

That final "Oh Well." is the tell. If he truly encounters talent it's his JOB to try and make a proper introduction or inquire as to who the artist was. In short: A better effort.

Unless you're self-absorbed, think talent is as common as table salt and... oh well (his loss). Chow time, soon if not now.

I don't think so. The artist should have had a better attitude with this guy or any other lay person interested in looking at his work. This talent scout had no obligation to announce who he was, actually better he didn't. You never know who you may be speaking with and should always be respectful, courteous, and professional be it a CEO, barista or taxi driver.

The artist may have been brilliant but is a jerk. Best to never hire a brilliant jerk.

Yep, I agree.

You're much more likely to get the true measure of a person when they don't know you from Adam. It's why companies do things like secret shoppers.

We'll just disagree. :) Imho if his "...asked if I could look" didn't include an introduction then it was unprofessional.

He's just some random dude butting in on a group dynamic. Asking to paw through something of value and semi-private. Whether the four were sharing art portfolios, written resumes, vacation photos or pocket lint is irrelevant.

Just because you're in public doesn't mean everyone one there gets access to all your personal belongings. Right?

Besides, if it were a different type of art venue, say 3D sculpts or painstakingly built model kits, there would probably be non-rude placards saying "Please Do Not Touch".

This scenario is the same: prized personal art pieces...random public paws requesting access. Nope. Please don't.

Were they rude?

Perhaps... I wasn't there I do not know.

However, in NYC we are conditioned to be skeptical if not avoidant of certain situations that are deemed to be too good to be true.

I have been approached over certain things and I quickly decline to talk or ignore so I go about my business and move on. There is one thing that I possibly regret out of the dozens of approaches I have received in a store or in the subway that to this day 14 years later I wonder if it could have changed my life...

However, if I had stopped or listened to every person that approaches me on the streets or stores of NYC, I would have been hustled more than a few times.

I don't care if its Warren Buffet ready to write billion dollar checks... don't horn in on my conversations with others particularly if I don't know you. Almost nothing more annoying.

ZEVB1hl.pngGYoZNOW.png

If you are looking for a job, the time or place should not matter. It is all how you handle yourself outside of a conventional interview. If you are swapping portfolio for work or feedback and a stranger approaches you, there are so many other ways of finding out who that person is without being rude. So many job connections are made outside of the office. I see missed opportunity. It is easier to be nice than not.

Always act as if you may meet someone. No blame here but as a rule of thumb acknowledge folks who sho interest in you or your conversation. I'm sure no one here was a tool or at least one on purpose.

The CB guy has a bit of an ego. No need to tweet it out and flex muscles.