• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artist Tells Marvel VP Not to Bother Him after He Shows Interest in His art

71 posts in this topic

My point being that it costs nothing to be polite but it can cost a lot when you are impolite or downright rude.

very true.

I am quite sure we are not being told the full story though as I am willing to bet the Marvel guy just walked up and started to look through the portfolio without asking and when the artist noticed this was happening told him to leave them alone.

ZEVB1hl.pngGYoZNOW.png

My first impression is someone has a big ego. Is everyone supposed to know that guy from Marvel and who he is? I don't know him and never heard of him. There are two sides to every story so I probably shouldn't have jumped to that assumption but the way the tweet was written makes it seem like everyone should know this guy and how "powerful" he is to an artist's career.

When the marvel guy asked to see the portfolio were they all talking? did he interrupt? did he introduce himself? were the people genuinely helping each other out and they thought that he was just some random guy to look at the cool drawings?

I feel like we are missing something

I am thinking it is a little of the reasons you posted. he probably didn't introduce himself.

+1 you just don't hand over your hard worked portfolio art to some random stranger at a comic con. As everyone knows.... cons are full of pretty strange folk. What if he handed it to the guy.... and the guy just ripped a bunch of pages in half and then took off running :preach:

ZEVB1hl.pngGYoZNOW.png

My first impression is someone has a big ego. Is everyone supposed to know that guy from Marvel and who he is? I don't know him and never heard of him. There are two sides to every story so I probably shouldn't have jumped to that assumption but the way the tweet was written makes it seem like everyone should know this guy and how "powerful" he is to an artist's career.

When the marvel guy asked to see the portfolio were they all talking? did he interrupt? did he introduce himself? were the people genuinely helping each other out and they thought that he was just some random guy to look at the cool drawings?

I feel like we are missing something

I am thinking it is a little of the reasons you posted. he probably didn't introduce himself.

+1 you just don't hand over your hard worked portfolio art to some random stranger at a comic con. As everyone knows.... cons are full of pretty strange folk. What if he handed it to the guy.... and the guy just ripped a bunch of pages in half and then took off running :preach:

Selling the piece of art off is good for more food he can get! Munch munch!

If I was any artist in New York who wanted to get work I woold be loading up with dm's

"Hi I'm so sorry for the way I acted, please let's meet up and I'll be happy to show you my work"

Note this is independent of whether or not I actually am that person

My point being that it costs nothing to be polite but it can cost a lot when you are impolite or downright rude.

very true.

I am quite sure we are not being told the full story though as I am willing to bet the Marvel guy just walked up and started to look through the portfolio without asking and when the artist noticed this was happening told him to leave them alone.

Yup. Sounds like it may have been a bit of an awkward interaction by both parties.

ZEVB1hl.pngGYoZNOW.png

Somebody full of his own self importance.

More like aware of his own self importance. CB is a talent scout, he gets people work. One of the guys he encountered may have had a job in the near future if he had been a little more polite and since he was soliciting opinions from the other guys there he likely would have gotten professional feedback from the Marvel guy as well.

No need to post this on social media though.

ZEVB1hl.pngGYoZNOW.png

More like aware of his own self importance. CB is a talent scout, he gets people work. One of the guys he encountered may have had a job in the near future if he had been a little more polite and since he was soliciting opinions from the other guys there he likely would have gotten professional feedback from the Marvel guy as well.

Exactly. This guy is an attention whore and was snubbed. This is nothing more than a childish tantrum.

ZEVB1hl.pngGYoZNOW.png

Is there any need to post anything on social media?

ZEVB1hl.pngGYoZNOW.png

Is there any need to post anything on social media?

Or the internet in general.

ZEVB1hl.pngGYoZNOW.png

That final "Oh Well." is the tell. If he truly encounters talent it's his JOB to try and make a proper introduction or inquire as to who the artist was. In short: A better effort.

Unless you're self-absorbed, think talent is as common as table salt and... oh well (his loss). Chow time, soon if not now.

Artists now mainly use Wacom tablets now, so there is no art to sell, of course you can still do it old school like Jim Lee does since he sells his art for crazy amounts of money. I haven't see any art styles that have impressed me in a very long time, everyone looks the same. David Finch stands out though.

ZEVB1hl.pngGYoZNOW.png

That final "Oh Well." is the tell. If he truly encounters talent it's his JOB to try and make a proper introduction or inquire as to who the artist was. In short: A better effort.

Unless you're self-absorbed, think talent is as common as table salt and... oh well (his loss). Chow time, soon if not now.

I don't think so. The artist should have had a better attitude with this guy or any other lay person interested in looking at his work. This talent scout had no obligation to announce who he was, actually better he didn't. You never know who you may be speaking with and should always be respectful, courteous, and professional be it a CEO, barista or taxi driver.

The artist may have been brilliant but is a jerk. Best to never hire a brilliant jerk.

The fact the tweet was made shows complete unprofessionalism.

What else I can ascertain with my superpower of observation is this guy loves food, probably blogs about, probably writes countless reviews about it, and is probably a fat donkey.

He comes across as self important with this information. Thus labeled so. Another face in the crowd of attention seekers who have some issue about being something when nobody else cares because they are exactly the same way.

ZEVB1hl.pngGYoZNOW.png

I don't think so. The artist should have had a better attitude with this guy or any other lay person interested in looking at his work. This talent scout had no obligation to announce who he was, actually better he didn't. You never know who you may be speaking with and should always be respectful, courteous, and professional be it a CEO, barista or taxi driver.

The artist may have been brilliant but is a jerk. Best to never hire a brilliant jerk.

I agree totally with you. You never know who you are talking with and being polite can open up doors that were not there before.