• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pokemon Go

181 posts in this topic

What is this all about...

I've never played anything Pokemon before and would it cause too much of a distraction from Simpsons Tapped Out?

I've never played anything Pokemon before and would it cause too much of a distraction from Simpsons Tapped Out?

Have you heard of the game Ingress? Its made by the same people. The concept is that its a virtual reality type game where you can capture Pokemon in the real world, by going to real world locations, and use us them to battle, and take over gyms for your team. If you're by water you will encounter water type Pokemon, if your in the desert, ground, and rock type etc. The higher you level the stronger the Pokemon you encounter are.

Its made a lot of people go outside, I was at the park today, and saw everyone from 10 year olds, to married couples playing it.

I tapped out of the Simpsons (hehe) and I'm barely doing the Deadpool daily in MPQ, so I was looking for a new mobile game.

You walk around with your phone out and the app on, and Pokemon will appear in certain areas. It then switches to your camera, and you throw your balls at them to catch them (teehee).

21.jpg

Any famous or iconic buildings or areas have special Pokemon. A few landmarked buildings in my nabe show up on the map. Wifey caught a special one while we were driving past Citi Field today. You then find a local gym, which in my case is an actual Gold's Gym, and fight other people. I just downloaded it today, seems pretty interesting.

Of course, there's already stories out there about people using the gps function to find and rob people, and I'm looking forward to the inevitable story of someone getting hurt or killed while walking or driving while trying to catch a pikachu. But any game that encourages you to get out and walk around is pretty cool.

I tapped out of the Simpsons (hehe) and I'm barely doing the Deadpool daily in MPQ, so I was looking for a new mobile game.

You walk around with your phone out and the app on, and Pokemon will appear in certain areas. It then switches to your camera, and you throw your balls at them to catch them (teehee).

21.jpg

Any famous or iconic buildings or areas have special Pokemon. A few landmarked buildings in my nabe show up on the map. Wifey caught a special one while we were driving past Citi Field today. You then find a local gym, which in my case is an actual Gold's Gym, and fight other people. I just downloaded it today, seems pretty interesting.

Of course, there's already stories out there about people using the gps function to find and rob people, and I'm looking forward to the inevitable story of someone getting hurt or killed while walking or driving while trying to catch a pikachu. But any game that encourages you to get out and walk around is pretty cool.

A person actually got killed the first, or second day it was released since he wasn't paying attention, and got hit by a car.

We spent pretty much the entire day walking around.. OUTSIDE! There was a weekend long summer festival setup so it was fun to check that out too. Just found out there are drastically different Pokemon you can find at night vs. day.

The big thing I have to say is the sheer amount of people playing this game is ridiculous. I have been gaming for a long time and I've never seen anything quite like it. People are getting outside, getting some sun and fresh air, excersizing, and might even meet a new friend. Over the weekend we probably saw around 300 other people playing , and that's no exaggeration.

Server errors seemed pretty fixed today vs. yesterday. Still some bugs with Pokestops but overall way better already.

Edited by Rhymenoceros

People wandering around on their phones and not paying attention? Yeah, I can believe deaths are involved, or will be.

Remember that one horrific story from Korea where parents neglected their newborn because of a game? Just tragic

The scariest part is people already text and drive way too much at least around here. They do have it so certain locations can't be reached by ca which is good. Encouraging people to walk in park like areas with lots of Pokestops to get free supplies and XP.

If anyone has played Ingress it's essentially the same platform of location based community gaming. Made by the same company.

I'm bout this game

It's fun

My son is the perfect age for this (15) grew up with pokemon as a kid and is hooked. I've downloaded it as well and it's getting us out and walking around. Any video game that can get my son out walking around in the summer is great.

EDIT: The only downside as far as I can tell is it kills your battery. A good hour walk will get it to zero pretty quick. Oh and I've heard it uses your data pretty fast as well. Haven't looked at it yet, but may still be cheaper than a gym membership and get more use.

Edited by thunsicker

Yeah the death rumours are just that. Nothing has actually happened yet, but i'm sure someone will be killed while playing it (Just like driving while using GPS, or using any mobile app and not paying attention).

http://factually.gizmodo.com/no-a-man-didnt-cause-a-major-traffic-accident-while-pl-1783425087

My son is the perfect age for this (15) grew up with pokemon as a kid and is hooked. I've downloaded it as well and it's getting us out and walking around. Any video game that can get my son out walking around in the summer is great.

EDIT: The only downside as far as I can tell is it kills your battery. A good hour walk will get it to zero pretty quick. Oh and I've heard it uses your data pretty fast as well. Haven't looked at it yet, but may still be cheaper than a gym membership and get more use.

I went to the park today with it, for around an hour or so, and didn't lose a lot of battery life. The best way to perverse it is to put it on power savings mode, it made a big difference for me.