• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Comics Auctions Hiring for Comic Book Expert (April 2005)

20 posts in this topic

This is serious, got the email today.

"Heritage is looking to add a Comics expert with extremely well-honed grading skills. The ability to identify, pursue and close outright purchase and consignment deals in the Comics market is essential to this position. Individual will be expected to sort raw and graded books and create auction lots based on designated lot values. The right candidate should also have strong organizational skills, and deep knowledge and contacts within the comics industry. Salary and incentive package commensurate with experience and qualifications. Please e-mail your resume, references and salary history/requirements to Jared Green : JaredG@HeritageGalleries.com "

I tried to post this in Comics general but it won't let me in!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

gossip.gif

"Heritage is looking to add a Comics expert with extremely well-honed grading skills. The ability to identify, pursue and close outright purchase and consignment deals in the Comics market is essential to this position. Individual will be expected to sort raw and graded books and create auction lots based on designated lot values. The right candidate should also have strong organizational skills, and deep knowledge and contacts within the comics industry. Salary and incentive package commensurate with experience and qualifications. Please e-mail your resume, references and salary history/requirements to Jared Green : JaredG@HeritageGalleries.com

Reading this makes me wonder how often people are bidding books owned by Heritage vs. a straight consignment. The description seems to emphasize a potential candidate's purchasing and selling skills over facillitating and organizing other collector's lots... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Reading this makes me wonder how often people are bidding books owned by Heritage vs. a straight consignment. The description seems to emphasize a potential candidate's purchasing and selling skills over facillitating and organizing other collector's lots... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I'm pretty sure that a lot of the ACA content is owned by Heritage. The signature auctions are more obviously heavy on consignors.

Jim

I'm pretty sure that a lot of the ACA content is owned by Heritage. The signature auctions are more obviously heavy on consignors.

Well that does bring up the question on whether they are a legitimate auction house or just a collector's website with an auction format. The latter case is ripe for owner manipulation of auction bids...

I've always suspected some Heritage lots were thrown into their auctions. Reading this description makes me wonder whether the majority of what is offered is Heritage owned... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I can personally attest to the fact the Heritage aggressively pursues the outright purchase of collections. Just a few months ago, I was looking to purchase a collection of late 1950’s comics from a fine older gentleman who said that he was either going to sell the collection to me or to Heritage. From what I understood, Heritage did not bring up anything to do with consignment; rather, they were trying for an outright purchase.

Now, the good news - I won! headbang.gif I was very pleased to add parts of this collection to my personal collection and make some available for sale. From what I gathered, Heritage was very aggressive and perhaps a little miffed that they did not get the honor.

The jewel of the collection (to me) was the All Star #55 cloud9.gif

I guess replacing Fred Mc. may not be as easy as it seems.

I wonder what a comic expert resume looks like. confused.gif

Edgar%20Church%202.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I can't imagine looking that bored with all those amazing books in front of me!

Well that does bring up the question on whether they are a legitimate auction house or just a collector's website with an auction format. The latter case is ripe for owner manipulation of auction bids...

I've always suspected some Heritage lots were thrown into their auctions. Reading this description makes me wonder whether the majority of what is offered is Heritage owned... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've always KNOWN that a lot of Heritage lots were thrown into their ACA auctions, so there's nothing to wonder about there. They've never hid the fact that they will buy material outright and you can spot some Halperin material pretty easily (he's a big Biz collector for example, so I've always guessed that Melting Pot stuff comes straight from him.)

That said, their Signature Auctions are definitely heavily consigned. If you follow the ins and outs of certain dealer's stock you spot their consigments pretty easily. The upcoming auction has a ton of JP and Chris Bell's stuff for example.

Jim

Geez, Jim, you seem to spot a conspiracy everywhere you look. How do you get out of bed everyday?

How does a "legitimate auction house" differ from "a collector's website with an auction format"? Assuming that by "legitimate auction house" you mean the Sotheby's and Christies of the world, they're not exactly clean, are they, and it's not hard to manipulate their auctions either (it's just done by phone or on the floor rather than via internet).

Does it matter whether books being auctioned are Heritage's own or consigned? If Heritage buys someone's collection for the purpose of putting on auction, would you consider that Heritage's own or a consignment? If Heritage's own, how does that differ from an advance to a consignor? And yes, the "legitimate auction houses" do that too (buy outright and provide advances).

Geez, Jim, you seem to spot a conspiracy everywhere you look. How do you get out of bed everyday?

Easy...it the practices I think are aren't above board that I happen to mention. You call it conspiracy...I call it bullsh1t. You like to live quietly with bullsh1t...that's your problem...

How does a "legitimate auction house" differ from "a collector's website with an auction format"?

The latter is a website giving the appearance of an auction format in selling consignments. I don't have a problem with that per se. What I do have a problem with is getting @ssraped by a 15% buyers fee for Heritage owned product. Consignments I can understand...Heritage has to get their cut somewhere but for in-house product the customer is getting gouged.

I always knew some of this was going on...but after reading the job description, it looks as if "some" may actually be a significant quantity of auction lots may be Heritage owned.

Jim

it the practices I think are aren't above board that I happen to mention.

Please decipher this sentence. I've read it 10 times and still can't figure out what you're trying to say.

What I do have a problem with is getting @ssraped by a 15% buyers fee for Heritage owned product. Consignments I can understand...Heritage has to get their cut somewhere but for in-house product the customer is getting gouged.

I will never ever understand this kind of statement. Suppose on Heritage-owned products they waived the 15% buyers fee and raised their selling price (profit margin) by 15% instead? Would that make you feel better, even though you're paying the exact same amount?

it the practices I think are aren't above board that I happen to mention.

Please decipher this sentence. I've read it 10 times and still can't figure out what you're trying to say.

Understand..wrote too fast...

It should read "It's the practices I think aren't above board that I mention". If I didn't have a problem with it, I wouldn't say anything...

Jim

I will never ever understand this kind of statement. Suppose on Heritage-owned products they waived the 15% buyers fee and raised their selling price (profit margin) by 15% instead? Would that make you feel better, even though you're paying the exact same amount?

Yes...because you aren't buying in the blind. Heritage is being upfront with the auction and you as the buyer know exactly what's going on. I happen to value my money and like to know where it's going. You can make a judgement to bid on the auction from a point of honesty...not deception...

May seem like a little thing to some but I like knowing all the facts going in and not have to wonder whether a lot is in-house or consigned...

Jim

Yes, Heritage does own about 10% of the material we auction.

Many times, people come to us and have a price in mind, and just want to sell.

We ALWAYS mention the consignment option. I always tell people they will get more by auctioning their items than they would selling to a dealer (even us). If they still only want to sell, I'll buy the material from them.

We would honestly rather have the items on consignment, that way there is no cash outlay, and no risk to us.

I also buy books from dealers at shows that I think we can make money on.