• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Total Newb and NEED HELP! Obediah Olbuck

72 posts in this topic

Is OO really a comic book? hm

No, it's not. It's a regular book (of the times) with drawings.

To summarize for those who don't want to wander through all the muck of the original thread, the myth of OO as the first "comic book" was created by a self-serving dealer who favored the Platinum era (and had several copies he wanted to sell for big bucks), so he used his position and influence as a historian to legitimize it as such.

Similarly taking the position that OO was more important than Action 1 is beyond ridiculous, thoroughly debunked by the board here and also as time has shown (OO is one of the worst big investments that I can think of in the hobby).

Be careful, them's fightin' words! That dealer might start up another pitched battle.

Oh, wait a minute, I forgot...

:devil:

Here's some pics..

Many thanks for the advice, am gonna contact Heritage and see what they say.. I'm in the uk so we'll see if it'll work..

As far as I've read up on this, the version I have is the first English language edition which became the version released in the US a year after? This is from 1841 I think...

Interesting stuff... Politics aside..

Thanks again for all and any helpful comments you can or did offer. Really appreciated. .

All the Best.

One Love.

Zz.

http://postimg.org/gallery/267tqt1so/

image.jpg

image.jpg

Great find!! As some have already stated the British editions are seen as less valuable even though in several cases they predate the US editions. I've seen copies of all the books you posted. If you can try and locate a recent edition of The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide as they are listed in the Victorian Age section in the front of the area of the book in their own section.

Well it seems not everyone is disparaging towards Obadiah...

Had some interest already and will let you know what transpires..

In the meantime thanks for the useful comments so far!

One Love

Zz.

One Love

Zz.

So this was basically a spam thread to sell your books? Color me surprised.

I think that's a bit harsh homie..

I was very straight up about exactly why I was posting in the OP..

I'm sorry if I upset you unintentionally but spare me that tone, it's not needed nor welcome.

Thanks to everyone who has helped and pointed me in the right directions..

If I could ever help y'all with anything I'd be glad.

One Love.

Zz.

One Love

Zz.

So this was basically a spam thread to sell your books? Color me surprised.

If nothing else, at least it gave us a chance to revisit the Showcase4 thread from yesteryear. :eek:lol

great point.....but just imagine if it was now 1996 instead of 2006. What if someone told you that in just 10 years from now, there would be a company called CGC ( remember, it's now 1996). and they would act as a 3rd party service provider and assign a condition grade to comic books, and then seal them in a plastic holder. Then imagine a CGC encapsulted NM 9.4 Amazing Fantasy 15 would sell for $100,000+

You would not be able to stop laughing at how ridiculous and absurd that would be....never happen.

OK--fast forward to present day---2006. You read in this years Overstreet Price Guide that 3 copies of Obadiah Oldbuck sold in 2005....a fair for $10,000, and 2 VG's for $20,000 each. Then further realize that all 3 sales were made to the same buyer...showcase-4. You would think this guy just burned $50,000, and his investment is worthless...he lost $50,000. What do you think will be the end result of this $50,000 investment in the year 2016? ( ten years from now )...and remember the above example

(shrug)

Yep.. Would seem so.. Here's a pic or two.. Sorry for short reply, sending from phone.

Have you heard of it before then?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Odd that the spelling is different on the outer cover (Creepin rather than Crepin) - makes me wonder if it was a third party addition?

To summarize for those who don't want to wander through all the muck of the original thread, the myth of OO as the first "comic book" was created by a self-serving dealer who favored the Platinum era (and had several copies he wanted to sell for big bucks), so he used his position and influence as a historian to legitimize it as such.

Similarly taking the position that OO was more important than Action 1 is beyond ridiculous, thoroughly debunked by the board here and also as time has shown (OO is one of the worst big investments that I can think of in the hobby).

Nice summary, I think there may be a few people that are still are bought into the complete and utter BS shoveled by BB and Showcase4 (prince of the hucksters, king title is held by another boardie :gossip: ).

Be careful, them's fightin' words! That dealer might start up another pitched battle.

Oh, wait a minute, I forgot...

:devil:

Yeah, thankfully we don't have to deal with his rambling incoherent tripe anymore (great job by Arch):

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=322961&Number=7249945#Post7249945

I found a copy of it in the loft of an old house I bought.

It's the original version printed by Tilt & Bogue and its in pretty good condition.,

My question is not about whether you expert guys like the thing or accept if into comic lore as I've seen this was a controversial subject ten years ago.,

What a great find! :applause:

The advice to sell it through Heritage is good.

Pay no mind to the chatter about whether it is a comic book or not.

Of course it is.

It's unfortunate that a series of personality conflicts here on the boards clouded the historic nature of the comic. It is undoubtedly one of the most important milestones in the development of graphic storytelling.

Congratulations and good luck!