• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Total Newb and NEED HELP! Obediah Olbuck

72 posts in this topic

Pay no mind to the chatter about whether it is a comic book or not.

Of course it is.

It's unfortunate that a series of personality conflicts here on the boards clouded the historic nature of the comic. It is undoubtedly one of the most important milestones in the development of graphic storytelling.

You are entitled to your opinion Scott, but please don't impugn mine by insinuating that a personality conflict (which does indeed exist, though it's better described as an ethical conflict) is behind my reasoning for not recognizing OO as a comic book. It's not.

Calling OO a "comic book" would be like calling a conestoga wagon an "automobile" because it has four wheels, a driver's seat, and horse power.

I found a copy of it in the loft of an old house I bought.

It's the original version printed by Tilt & Bogue and its in pretty good condition.,

My question is not about whether you expert guys like the thing or accept if into comic lore as I've seen this was a controversial subject ten years ago.,

What a great find! :applause:

The advice to sell it through Heritage is good.

Pay no mind to the chatter about whether it is a comic book or not.

Of course it is.

It's unfortunate that a series of personality conflicts here on the boards clouded the historic nature of the comic. It is undoubtedly one of the most important milestones in the development of graphic storytelling.

Congratulations and good luck!

I second this. Ignore the negativity

Looks like it would make for good kindling for my fireplace.

For the record, I don't think OO is drek - I do appreciate the Victorian era for the groundwork it laid for the publication of the first true comic book. Victorian is certainly worthy of research and respect, and it's a great field to collect - it's a part of our hobby and our nation's history.

What I don't respect is an individual who egregiously manipulated the scenario for his own financial gain. Interesting that BLB obtained an original copy of OO by telling its owner that the book was 'practically worthless'. Even after he sold it for a large sum, he refused to pay her anything until his former co-author (and a board member here who can verify) basically shamed him into doing so.

That's the same individual who shamelessly used his position to over-hype and over-price the book, leading to some of the ridicule and associated controversy that it receives today. The two are, unfortunately, intertwined.

great point.....but just imagine if it was now 1996 instead of 2006. What if someone told you that in just 10 years from now, there would be a company called CGC ( remember, it's now 1996). and they would act as a 3rd party service provider and assign a condition grade to comic books, and then seal them in a plastic holder. Then imagine a CGC encapsulted NM 9.4 Amazing Fantasy 15 would sell for $100,000+

You would not be able to stop laughing at how ridiculous and absurd that would be....never happen.

OK--fast forward to present day---2006. You read in this years Overstreet Price Guide that 3 copies of Obadiah Oldbuck sold in 2005....a fair for $10,000, and 2 VG's for $20,000 each. Then further realize that all 3 sales were made to the same buyer...showcase-4. You would think this guy just burned $50,000, and his investment is worthless...he lost $50,000. What do you think will be the end result of this $50,000 investment in the year 2016? ( ten years from now )...and remember the above example

(shrug)

Given philippinescomics post above that there's a VG copy available that isn't selling at $1,200, I guess we know how that 2006 investment went.

In the past 10 years there's been an influx of people (and money) in headlong pursuit of key books -- or books that can be presented as being key books -- so I think it's fair to say that the hobby has arrived at a conclusion with respect to OO: An interesting early precursor to comic books, but in no sense the first comic book and a curiosity that most collectors feel they don't need a copy of in their collection.

Well it seems not everyone is disparaging towards Obadiah...

Had some interest already and will let you know what transpires..

In the meantime thanks for the useful comments so far!

One Love

Zz.

So this was basically a spam thread to sell your books? Color me surprised.

I know what you're saying and would usually agree if this was just your common everyday book. But I would think something special (at least to some people) like this would be welcomed here even if it is just to sell.

Its worth about $1000 tops. There is a VG for sale online for $1200 and its been there a while at that price.

I see one for $25K on ebay. Link to the $1200 VG?

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=17905437359&ir&xbf=b3MtcWctdWJ6cg__/28842053804999414079&clickid=wqf1zhS24xpY3OuxMYUWS3ZBUkk07dX1RSBkVw0&cm_mmc=aff-_-ir-_-59145-_-77797&ref=imprad59145&afn_sr=impact

Its worth about $1000 tops. There is a VG for sale online for $1200 and its been there a while at that price.

Perhaps the value of this book would best be determined by what it actually sells for, instead of what it isn't selling for. (shrug)

There have been many copies that have sold in the $800 to $1000 range and another nice VG I know of sold for $1200 or so. Also noted some have sold for less as well. Depending on condition. The 1841 book is much more common than the 1842 American edition.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=17905437359&ir&xbf=b3MtcWctdWJ6cg__/28842053804999414079&clickid=wqf1zhS24xpY3OuxMYUWS3ZBUkk07dX1RSBkVw0&cm_mmc=aff-_-ir-_-59145-_-77797&ref=imprad59145&afn_sr=impact

Thanks (thumbs u

Thanks (thumbs u

Interesting that seller is in Omaha, where BLB also is.

Thanks (thumbs u

Interesting that seller is in Omaha, where BLB also is.

HAHAHHAHA I noticed that as well even I am sure its unrelated. BLB would be asking 25k like that seller on ebay the previous poster mentioned

And this VG+ copy sold on Comic Connect in 2012 for $485.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=458540

Not a good auction!! Direct sales do better for the book.

According to this thread you sold a copy on Comic Connect in 2010.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3718055

Did the book sell? If it did sell, do you mind telling us for how much? If you don't want to divulge I understand, it's your private business.

Before Beerbohm sold his two copies he was toting them around to various conventions and letting people look through them. I flipped through one of them at a show in St. Louis. I think this would have been around 2001. There is no question that it is a very interesting book and a fascinating piece of history.

And this VG+ copy sold on Comic Connect in 2012 for $485.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=458540

Not a good auction!! Direct sales do better for the book.

According to this thread you sold a copy on Comic Connect in 2010.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3718055

Did the book sell? If it did sell, do you mind telling us for how much? If you don't want to divulge I understand, it's your private business.

Before Beerbohm sold his two copies he was toting them around to various conventions and letting people look through them. I flipped through one of them at a show in St. Louis. I think this would have been around 2001. There is no question that it is a very interesting book and a fascinating piece of history.

I won't divulge what I did sell it for in a private sale. I will say it was much much less. There was a different copy that popped up online about 2 weeks ago that sold for $1800+. That went very cheap and was sold in less than an hour. Well, there are two versions of the book. One with the Yellow outer wrappers and one without. What I had before was the one without, the more common version. I don't know which version sold for $1800 as I didn't inquire after it was sold.

There are a bunch of old sales at Heritage and the prices are all over the board on the book still. The value of the white cover edition is in the 4k-5k range approx. The value of the Yellow cover book is more. I know of only 2 copies of the Yellow cover. One sold for 10k at auction. The other for less but I don't remember how much and it was really really beat up.