• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Total Newb and NEED HELP! Obediah Olbuck

72 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Please be nice and patient, I stumbled accross this amazing site by reading through a whole thread about 'The first ever Comic Book called Obadiah Oldbuck..

It's clearly an ancient descendent of the comics I grew up loving to read.. But nevertheless after reading all the drama I came to the conclusion that a Stone Age Flint Arrow Head might not be the same to handle as a modern automatic gun...

But it is still an important development in the history of weaponry overall..

Anyway...

I found a copy of it in the loft of an old house I bought.

It's the original version printed by Tilt & Bogue and its in pretty good condition.,

My question is not about whether you expert guys like the thing or accept if into comic lore as I've seen this was a controversial subject ten years ago.,

My question is where does one go to find a new home for this piece of history where it'll be appreciated? My intention is to sell it as I prefer Howard the Duck comics tbh and before you insult that please.. Each to his own..,

Steve Gerber was a genius and Dr Bong rules!

Any help, advice, nice communications welcome and gratefully received. I'm a music guy not a comic guy so asking you to be easy on me.,

One Love.

Zz.

PS: There is also another of these weird old Victorian comics there called 'Mr Crepin' but it's in French?

Send it to Heritage and have them auction it off. They do charge a higher percentage than some of the other venues (CL or CC), but you basically have nothing into it (I assume you didn't buy the house to get the book).

I think they'd be the best ones as far as marketing it and would have the largest potential bidding pool.

Here's some pics..

Many thanks for the advice, am gonna contact Heritage and see what they say.. I'm in the uk so we'll see if it'll work..

As far as I've read up on this, the version I have is the first English language edition which became the version released in the US a year after? This is from 1841 I think...

Interesting stuff... Politics aside..

Thanks again for all and any helpful comments you can or did offer. Really appreciated. .

All the Best.

One Love.

Zz.

http://postimg.org/gallery/267tqt1so/

image.jpg

image.jpg

That looks awesome! I've never seen one of those.

Me either

Not with a leather cover anyway.

I wonder if that's something custom someone made

Or did they all have leather covers?

Or whatever that is, might not be leather

There are many different versions of this book, published in different languages and different countries. It was first published as Les Amours de Mr. Vieux Bois in Geneva, Switzerland in 1837. The first English version was published in 1841. It was first published in the United States by Wilson & Company, New York circa 1846.

You can read the entire book here, if you so wish:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~library/digital/collections/books/ocn259708589/ocn259708589.html?mswitch-redir=classic

If you want to be very technical from my google searches Obadiah Oldbuck was the first comic published in the US. Maybe it is giving me that answer cause I am in the US. I am not sure if this still applies to other places in the world. I would love to hear more about this as you go further in your travels.

BTW the US edition that was up for auction went for 9-10K US :gossip:

Well I'm grateful guys, seems I found something significant here..

Definitely intending to sell it, i guess through a site as suggested earlier.

Thanks the info, help and ideas..

Appreciated.

Zz.

Is OO really a comic book? hm

No, it's not. It's a regular book (of the times) with drawings.

To summarize for those who don't want to wander through all the muck of the original thread, the myth of OO as the first "comic book" was created by a self-serving dealer who favored the Platinum era (and had several copies he wanted to sell for big bucks), so he used his position and influence as a historian to legitimize it as such.

Similarly taking the position that OO was more important than Action 1 is beyond ridiculous, thoroughly debunked by the board here and also as time has shown (OO is one of the worst big investments that I can think of in the hobby).