• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GoCollect vs. GPA
2 2

69 posts in this topic

Has anyone used the subscription services of both these sites? If so, which one do you prefer?

GoCollect is half the price of GPA, but I don't know if GPA has more features that make it worth the extra money. One thing I noticed is that GoCollect doesn't list all variants of a particular issue. I don't know if GPA is better on this, because I can't test drive it like GoCollect.

I subscribe to both, but GPA has more sales listed. GoCollect has the images of the issues (which is nice). GPA has past sales, current listings, SS issue listings (including signers), but may only include CGC comics. If I had to pick one it would be GPA without a question.

I subscribe to both, but GPA has more sales listed. GoCollect has the images of the issues (which is nice). GPA has past sales, current listings, SS issue listings (including signers), but may only include CGC comics. If I had to pick one it would be GPA without a question.

I appreciate the info. I may try them both. I'm going to mainly use it to determine prices on CGC SS books I'm looking for.

GPA is a very good service, but to be honest you need to research several arenas. Ebay,auction results etc.

GPA records results from eBay and pretty much all the large auction houses (except Comiclink) :shrug:

From looking at GoCollect's home page, they don't spell out which sites they gather sales data from. However, I checked out several different books in their database, and every recorded sale was from eBay. I also tried to locate a book that I bought off ComicConnect a couple of months ago, and it wasn't there.

GPA is a very good service, but to be honest you need to research several arenas. Ebay,auction results etc.

GPA records results from eBay and pretty much all the large auction houses (except Comiclink) :shrug:

Comiclink refused to partner with GPA because they have many new breaking records on sales. My books were sold via Comiclink. One book was sold for over $8K that was nearly 3 times higher than I expected. GPA may be irrelevant.

Comiclink refused to partner with GPA because they have many new breaking records on sales. My books were sold via Comiclink. One book was sold for over $8K that was nearly 3 times higher than I expected. GPA may be irrelevant.

Comiclink may have had great sales that have broken records, but I believe that they refused to partner up with GPA because of their poor record-breaking sales. 2c

Comiclink may have had great sales that have broken records, but I believe that they refused to partner up with GPA because of their poor record-breaking sales. 2c

+1. No one hides their sales data when it smashes old records.

Hi Everyone -

I must admit, I'm frustrated to continually hear from our audience that we're inferior to GPA. It frustrates me, because the core argument is absolutely accurate - we only track eBay sales; GPA has more data. However, it's not by choice.

I think most would agree that the GoCollect interface is superior (and it’s getting a major upgrade in the coming months). Our "tech" feels superior from my point of view as well. But, at the end of the day, data rules this game. Unfortunately, the major players are keeping us down. I hate to call everyone out here, but it's time. I've read several threads like this one and have bit my tongue out of respect for the following brokers/dealers:

Heritage

ComicLink

Metropolis/ComicConnect

Pedigree

MyComicShop

Hake’s

I've either personally spoken to many of the leaders within these organizations OR continually reached out to them with no response. They all (except CL) feed data to GPA, but seem to refuse to do so for GoCollect. I've heard many theories "why," but I won't get into that.

So why haven't I done anything about it?

I'll get real and come clean on this one - GoCollect has not been a major focus of mine personally. There are only a couple of GoCollect employees and they're quite busy managing the fire hose of eBay sales while also maintaining a popular property we acquired a couple years back - ComicList. What about me? Well, I'm the CIO of a mid-size corporation, which chews up about 70 hours of my week. There aren't many leftover hours these days and my family gets most of them.

How do we change things? How do we get the collectors a superior valuation product?

It's going to start with cooperation from the list above. OR it's going to require a social effort for individuals to manually report sales from those platforms to the GoCollect platform. I've had my legal counsel look into the latter scenario and have a high confidence that no laws would be broken in such a situation. Side note: I'm all ears to hear any disagreements. For those who know or have met me, hopefully my open mindedness has shown through. I truly appreciate being challenged.

I’m hoping to get the collector audience on our side. I’d love to hear your thoughts on how we harness this data. As (admittedly) a bit of an outsider in the comic circles, I’m at a disadvantage. Perhaps you’re “on the inside” and are willing to talk to the individuals responsible for suppressing our efforts.

I will make the community a promise: If I can get at least 2 of the above players to share their sales data with us, I will personally invest a substantial amount of money into growing GoCollect. I’ll do that by (1) hiring one to three full-time database managers that will be responsible for ensuring our database of US comics is as robust as possible (2) make deeper investments in our UI to ensure a seamless mobile experience (3) make several investments in engineering with a focus on artificial intelligence for extrapolating superior valuations for both GRADED and RAW books (4) use those engineering upgrades/insights to provide the community with highly improved trend analyses.

Thanks for listening.

Best regards,

Jeff Meyer

Founder, GoCollect

jeff@gocollect.com

Yup. This comes up very often. GPA doesn’t include Comiclink sales because Comiclink only wanted to selectively give data – i..e. just the big sales, not all the sales.

It played out right here on the boards.

Yup. This comes up very often. GPA doesn’t include Comiclink sales because Comiclink only wanted to selectively give data – i..e. just the big sales, not all the sales.

It played out right here on the boards.

If I'm not mistaken, some of the other sites that currently report don't supply exhaustive data. There are sales from CC and Pedigree that have not appeared on GPA while other sales have.

One thing I noticed is that GoCollect doesn't list all variants of a particular issue. I don't know if GPA is better on this, because I can't test drive it like GoCollect.

You can test driving it by paying for a single month.

Hi Everyone -

I must admit, I'm frustrated to continually hear from our audience that we're inferior to GPA. It frustrates me, because the core argument is absolutely accurate - we only track eBay sales; GPA has more data. However, it's not by choice.

I think most would agree that the GoCollect interface is superior (and it’s getting a major upgrade in the coming months). Our "tech" feels superior from my point of view as well. But, at the end of the day, data rules this game. Unfortunately, the major players are keeping us down. I hate to call everyone out here, but it's time. I've read several threads like this one and have bit my tongue out of respect for the following brokers/dealers:

Heritage

ComicLink

Metropolis/ComicConnect

Pedigree

MyComicShop

Hake’s

I've either personally spoken to many of the leaders within these organizations OR continually reached out to them with no response. They all (except CL) feed data to GPA, but seem to refuse to do so for GoCollect. I've heard many theories "why," but I won't get into that.

I'll get real and come clean on this one - GoCollect has not been a major focus of mine personally. There are only a couple of GoCollect employees and they're quite busy managing the fire hose of eBay sales while also maintaining a popular property we acquired a couple years back - ComicList. What about me? Well, I'm the CIO of a mid-size corporation, which chews up about 70 hours of my week. There aren't many leftover hours these days and my family gets most of them.

How do we change things? How do we get the collectors a superior valuation product?

It's going to start with cooperation from the list above. OR it's going to require a social effort for individuals to manually report sales from those platforms to the GoCollect platform. I've had my legal counsel look into the latter scenario and have a high confidence that no laws would be broken in such a situation. Side note: I'm all ears to hear any disagreements. For those who know or have met me, hopefully my open mindedness has shown through. I truly appreciate being challenged.

I’m hoping to get the collector audience on our side. I’d love to hear your thoughts on how we harness this data. As (admittedly) a bit of an outsider in the comic circles, I’m at a disadvantage. Perhaps you’re “on the inside” and are willing to talk to the individuals responsible for suppressing our efforts.

I will make the community a promise: If I can get at least 2 of the above players to share their sales data with us, I will personally invest a substantial amount of money into growing GoCollect. I’ll do that by (1) hiring one to three full-time database managers that will be responsible for ensuring our database of US comics is as robust as possible (2) make deeper investments in our UI to ensure a seamless mobile experience (3) make several investments in engineering with a focus on artificial intelligence for extrapolating superior valuations for both GRADED and RAW books (4) use those engineering upgrades/insights to provide the community with highly improved trend analyses.

Thanks for listening.

Best regards,

Jeff Meyer

Founder, GoCollect

jeff@gocollect.com

Jeff, I only started this thread to get people's opinions (and that's all they are) on your site and GPA. Not for one company to get painted as "inferior" opposed to the other. Some people will like GoCollect, others will like GPA. That's the way things go. And, at the end of the day, I'll wind up giving both sites a test drive and picking the one I like best.

Thanks,

Jay

Hi Everyone -

Heritage

ComicLink

Metropolis/ComicConnect

Pedigree

MyComicShop

Hake’s

Thanks for listening.

Best regards,

Jeff Meyer

Founder, GoCollect

jeff@gocollect.com

Really not something me your potential customer has to worry about since a competitor does get the data so I use them. If GoCollect is able to get the data and offer me a service for less money per month I'll be happy to switch.

In some cases, it may be somewhat irrelevant if sales data is scarce for a particular comic. However, the same can be said for price guides in general.

General question for those in the know - does GPA ever apply any kind of 'filter' to screen the suckers, er, I mean collectors, that pay the odd outlying price using BIN?

[by which I mean selling at a price the vast majority of boardies would agree was out of whack]