• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GoCollect vs. GPA
2 2

69 posts in this topic

Thanks for the conversation everyone! I feel like I should shed a little more light here...

Part of what makes GoCollect different (aside from listing sales from the other grading company and allowing subscribers to flag bad sales) is that we provide the following extra information on each sale:

Venue where it sold

Auction/listing ID of the sale

Sale format (exposing true best offer prices)

Image(s) of the comic sold

Ability to analyze specific venues (now hidden because it’s only eBay)

I personally feel like that’s great info for the collector/investor. However, the venues don’t seem to be overly excited about sharing that much info.

Aside from the images, that information can legally be organized and reported from our platform. However, it gets tricky when you begin scraping the content in an automated fashion (which yes, is quite simple to do). The only reason we don’t report in that way is out of respect for those venues.

I would hope that the reason you don't do this is because it's illegal.

Reporting on a sale is not illegal. It's news. We don't web scrape because it's a gray area. When I said we don't "report in that way" I was referring to reporting the news of the sales.... not web scraping.

Is it "news" when you charge a subscription for it?

You are making money off the data that is collected.

One of the reasons I have never been excited about reporting my sales to GPA is that a sale is business knowledge.

Of course a venue wouldn't be excited about where the book was sold.

If they don't get good numbers that would come out in the venue comparisons which for me is a BIG deal. I would love to see the MYTH that auction houses get the most money for books diminished.

Thanks for the conversation everyone! I feel like I should shed a little more light here...

Part of what makes GoCollect different (aside from listing sales from the other grading company and allowing subscribers to flag bad sales) is that we provide the following extra information on each sale:

Venue where it sold

Auction/listing ID of the sale

Sale format (exposing true best offer prices)

Image(s) of the comic sold

Ability to analyze specific venues (now hidden because it’s only eBay)

I personally feel like that’s great info for the collector/investor. However, the venues don’t seem to be overly excited about sharing that much info.

Aside from the images, that information can legally be organized and reported from our platform. However, it gets tricky when you begin scraping the content in an automated fashion (which yes, is quite simple to do). The only reason we don’t report in that way is out of respect for those venues.

I would hope that the reason you don't do this is because it's illegal.

Reporting on a sale is not illegal. It's news. We don't web scrape because it's a gray area. When I said we don't "report in that way" I was referring to reporting the news of the sales.... not web scraping.

It's not "news" when your entire business model is built around charging people money to view this sales data. There's nothing gray about it.

If they don't get good numbers that would come out in the venue comparisons which for me is a BIG deal. I would love to see the MYTH that auction houses get the most money for books diminished.

Most money compared with .... hm

Bob makes some great points about diminishing the competitive advantage of companies by releasing their private sales data. It's never in their best interest to do so unless you come up with a method or way to make it profitable for them (or the entire industry) and to also insulate them from potential harm.

If someone KNEW that a business model had a higher and more consistent sell-through for a similar book, they'd consign or place their books that way obviously. I.E. If it came out that books sold consistently higher through a particular website or type of website (automated auction versus buy-it-now versus immediate email drops of new acquisitions, etc.), other parties would see an immediate drop in business.

Which is why most of the auction houses plant the best sales numbers on their home page.

I have always been a believer that the best seller of material is the one that can sell the common stuff, not just the flavor of the month book that anybody can sell.

So how is it that GPA has deals in place with ComicConnect and Heritage for their sales data? I can understand why auction houses would want to closely guard/protect their transactional sales data, but they obviously trust GPA enough to provide some kind of permission/feed.

I've toyed around with GoCollect and I absolutely like the interface and website flow better than GPA. I guess I always just assumed that not including the auction house sales data was by choice. Jeff, it's a shame that you can't find a way to reach similar agreements that GPA has. Competition drives innovation, I'd think. Good luck with finding a path to bring more sales data to your site.

Sure - back in the old days we called them "newspapers" and "magazines".

These days sites like washingtonpost.com and nytimes.com provide what is called "news" for a subscription (you can get a limited number of stories for free, but that doesn't really change the dynamic).

I can totally get behind the need for a service that allows one to view PUBLIC sales records where all can enter and compete and bid---auctions especially fit this model.

I can also get totally behind a private business wanting to keep their OWN information private when a PRIVATE transaction is entered into.

In my mind GPA and GoCollect are complementary. Let the marketplace decide. Or at least that's what we used to do.

Nothing to see here.

You are making money off the data that is collected.

One of the reasons I have never been excited about reporting my sales to GPA is that a sale is business knowledge.

I always thought Metropolis' database would be worth paying for.

I think that a subscription to GPA or GoCollect is not merely for the sales results themselves, which we call all see for free on the sales sites themselves... But rather for the PROCESS by which we can search and view the sales data in a unique format, either GPA or GpCollect.

We pay a subscription fee for the TOOL THAT SEARCHES AND PRESENTS THE SPECIFIC SaLES DATA WE ARE SEEKING... Not just the answer.

How are these sites different from Overstreet reporting last years sales and charging a cover price? They re-publish data freely given by the dealers in most cases from sales reports, but also record-breaking sales that are known to have happened. Does a million dollar sale need to be "reported' to Overstreet if we all know it happened?

These site are packaging the data. Reading the Wiki page linked earlier it doesn't seem clear that scraping is always illegal.

Edited by aman619

So 4 years later have things changed ? Which one do you prefer ? I'm looking for a subscription to either GPA or Go Collect . I used GoCollect and they do offer now sales from ebay and the 3 major auction houses for both CGC and CBCS .

I have not used GPA so i am curious what do i get for the extra $5 ? From what i see the only track CGC books . Do they have more sales data than GPA ?

2 hours ago, Lukesaurus said:

So 4 years later have things changed ? Which one do you prefer ? I'm looking for a subscription to either GPA or Go Collect . I used GoCollect and they do offer now sales from ebay and the 3 major auction houses for both CGC and CBCS .

I have not used GPA so i am curious what do i get for the extra $5 ? From what i see the only track CGC books . Do they have more sales data than GPA ?

There has been a lot of frustration over changes to the GPA site.

See 

@jhm Speaking of changing in 4 years...

Can you let us know what sources of data GoCollect uses now?  You may have in other threads, but I don’t remember seeing it, and couldn’t find it on your site.  Above he says three major auction houses.  Which I assume would be Heritage, Comiclink, and Comicconnect, do you have unfettered access to the Comiclink data?  Or is it the cherry picked data they offered George?

Edited by thunsicker

I can only comment on my experience. GC is great for SA thru MA, if looking up a book that isn't too uncommon. If needing sales data on GA (or uncommon books) it's kind of hit-n-miss.

I do think it's very beneficial that GC supplies pictures ... make things a lot easier for me.

2 hours ago, Aman619 said:

good resource for matching comics by using the pics... but too many modern books have no FMV.  they should fill these gaps if they want to run a price guide!

Agreed. Way too many uses of the word pending.