• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book sales on the rise

15 posts in this topic

Wouldn't let me read the article without throwing in my email address. :cry:

I was shocked at that too... until I entered in your email address. :D

"...retailers purchased 8.5 million copies of the top 300 comics, the highest number since December 1997, when retailers ordered about 9 million comics..."

Nothing like a comparison to the 1990s to make modern speculators feel all warm and fuzzy!

"...retailers purchased 8.5 million copies of the top 300 comics, the highest number since December 1997, when retailers ordered about 9 million comics..."

Nothing like a comparison to the 1990s to make modern speculators feel all warm and fuzzy!

This...

This...

Um... no.

December 1997 is not "the 1990s" if you're talking about comic sales or speculation.

This...

Um... no.

December 1997 is not "the 1990s" if you're talking about comic sales or speculation.

What I'm talking about is that when I was a kid reading comics, there were several titles selling over half a million copies a month. Superboy and Superman closer to 1 million a month. A lousy selling title was doing well over 100,000 copies a month. In the 40's and 50's, there were titles topping 1 million a month, every month. THIS in a nation with 1/2 as many people.

Readership and purchasing of comic books is a hollow shell of what it used to be. Comic book publishers make money by charging their customers way to much per book and doing multiple versions of the same book with a different cover. Getting the sheep to buy 68 variants of Star Wars 1 isn't what most would call market growth.

Readership and purchasing of comic books is a hollow shell of what it used to be. Comic book publishers make money by charging their customers way to much per book and doing multiple versions of the same book with a different cover. Getting the sheep to buy 68 variants of Star Wars Harley Quinn 1 isn't what most would call market growth.

Fixed that for you. (thumbs u