• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading observations.....

38 posts in this topic

I heard it was tight, but subbed a few books anyways.

Everything came back right @where I expected it to. Full disclosure, these were 4.0-7.0 SA Marvels.

With that brooding confidence, you're going to do very well in the grading contest coming up. (thumbs u

HA! I wouldn't bet on it.

I just meant that they seemed to be @the same as usual.

How many times to we have to endure these public complaints about CGC grading ? Tight grading is good bad for the hobby, good bad for the people that buy sell 9.8's. I'm sure you prescreened anyway so what's the big deal ? Sorry.

Couldn't disagree with you more as tight grading is just as bad as loose grading. :gossip:

Consistent and accurate grading is what is good for the hobby, as opposed to swinging between loose grading and tight grading to suit whatever your business agenda is at that point in time. (thumbs u

From your edit changes on my comments, of course the sellers want looser grading. Since we are viewing this from two different angles we will never agree. But putting a bad product into the marketplace is simply bad business. As a buyer, the worst thing I want to see when I buy a 9.8 is a softly graded 9.6. Eventually, the consumer stops buying. Let me ask you this, if you get a bad burger from a restaurant, how anxious are you to return ?

Of course consistent grading is best but difficult to achieve. I'm just tired of these individuals going public every time they get a rough submission. What's the point ?

From reading your post, it would seem that you feel there are only 2 angles to grading. One is tight grading which you feel is good because it favors you as a buyer of slabbed books. The other is loose grading which I assume you must feel is bad because it works against you as a buyer of slabbed books.

Now, if you was a seller of slabbed books, would you not feel the complete opposite would be true. As a seller, the worst thing you would want to see is to get back a tightly graded 9.6 which is actually a 9.8 book. That wouldn't really bother me so much since it is so close and grading is subjective after all. But how about a now tightly graded CGC 8.0 book which was once previously graded as a CGC 9.2 book? How anxious would you be to continue giving them business if you know that your books will come back to you being undergraded.

Although I do buy the occasional slabbed book and have yet to sell a single slabbed book, I feel there is a third angle to grading. Just grade the books on a consistent and accurate basis so that it is a good product for both buyers and sellers at the same time. (thumbs u

Keep the business side and egos out of it, and just provide the customers with a professional, unbiased, and independent grade for the book because that is what the customer is paying for. hm

The problem with it just being accurate and consistent is that they could go and stay loose which is bad IMHO. I want to see tight and consistent grading as both a buyer and a seller. You can see the effect that their lower grading standard periods has caused with dealers at shows - even some of the big guys stretch the grades too much now.

As a seller, it means that slabs will look just as nice as the raw books I am selling. I hate having loosely graded slabs on the wall that look worse than the more tightly graded raw books in the same grade that I have in my boxes. You can see from my posts here since I started on the boards that I like the tight grading periods.

As a buyer, I want as nice a book as possible for the grade so keeping it tight and consistent across the board is the way to go.

I would have to agree....I actually prefer the grading I'm getting right now, which in my opinion is pretty a strict, because I can tell you from the subs I have gotten back that when you get a 9.8 back you will not see any NCB spine ticks....it will be a beautiful presenting book....the 9.6's honestly look awesome too....I think I had a few with a fingerprint via the notes that kept them out of 9.8..... I hope they keep this consistency up because in the long run it will help boost the pricing of the lower graded books. You're going to start seeing far less 9.8s

But alas, I could be wrong....all I was looking for was some confirmation I wasn't the only one not getting back what I thought were solid 9.8s

Good golly, I'd hope a 9.8 doesn't have any NCB spine ticks, were they allowing those in for a bit?

Yes.

At one point, if the rest of the book was perfect and there was one or sometimes even two spine ticks (even color-breaking), they would pass.

A 9.8 is NOT a perfect book, contrary to some expectations.

How many times to we have to endure these public complaints about CGC grading ? Tight grading is good bad for the hobby, good bad for the people that buy sell 9.8's. I'm sure you prescreened anyway so what's the big deal ? Sorry.

Couldn't disagree with you more as tight grading is just as bad as loose grading. :gossip:

Consistent and accurate grading is what is good for the hobby, as opposed to swinging between loose grading and tight grading to suit whatever your business agenda is at that point in time. (thumbs u

From your edit changes on my comments, of course the sellers want looser grading. Since we are viewing this from two different angles we will never agree. But putting a bad product into the marketplace is simply bad business. As a buyer, the worst thing I want to see when I buy a 9.8 is a softly graded 9.6. Eventually, the consumer stops buying. Let me ask you this, if you get a bad burger from a restaurant, how anxious are you to return ?

Of course consistent grading is best but difficult to achieve. I'm just tired of these individuals going public every time they get a rough submission. What's the point ?

Bob, we've been through this many times before.

Yes collectors want tighter but isn't it more fair if everyone gets the same grades?:

There is no actual, objective 'grading standard' that everyone will agree on.

One thing that everyone can agree on is that Overstreet was once the standard. Now CGC is.

CGC just needs to grade consistently. Then people can confidently choose which grades they want.

Fluctuating grades do nobody any favors.

Yes collectors want tighter but isn't it more fair if everyone gets the same grades?:

One thing that everyone can agree on is that Overstreet was once the standard. Now CGC is.

CGC just needs to grade consistently. Then people can confidently choose which grades they want.

How can CGC now be the standard when they don't grade consistently? There may be a bit of room for interpretation of Overstreet's grading standards but at least they do have published grading standards that can be referred to. How can someone be the standard for grading when they have no published standards and then those standards are a moving target anyway?

How can CGC now be the standard when they don't grade consistently? There may be a bit of room for interpretation of Overstreet's grading standards but at least they do have published grading standards that can be referred to. How can someone be the standard for grading when they have no published standards and then those standards are a moving target anyway?

It would be nice if they were, but Boardies can generally grade on par with CGC as seen in many grading contests. This means, people generally know what to expect when they buy a book in any given grade.

The only trouble comes with inconsistency and perceived tightness/looseness variations over time.

It would be nice if they were, but Boardies can generally grade on par with CGC as seen in many grading contests. This means, people generally know what to expect when they buy a book in any given grade.

The only trouble comes with inconsistency and perceived tightness/looseness variations over time.

The fact that they have been so inconsistent over the years was the main point that I was making. That and the fact that, if a book is graded inconsistently with how another was graded on a previous occasion, there are no published standards to refer to, to decide which was the "correct" grade thereby undermining the thought of them as "the standard"

At least that's my opinion.

Just today CGC safe/shipped a batch of 30 books I had sent them.

I think the grading has not CHANGED much. ALL moderns all bought off the shelf by me.

18 of the 30 came back 9.8 thats 63%. I normally get about 70%.

6 of the 30 came back 9.6 thats 20% I always get about 20 %

5 of the 30 came back 8.0 to 9.4 These 5 suprised me the most. All were

X-men 282 I sent in 10 copies. Never read/bagged/boarded etc.

Got 1 8.0

1 8.5

1 9.2

2 9.4

anyways. I feel the grading is the same. A little tight BUT ok.

E

The fact that they have been so inconsistent over the years was the main point that I was making. That and the fact that, if a book is graded inconsistently with how another was graded on a previous occasion, there are no published standards to refer to, to decide which was the "correct" grade thereby undermining the thought of them as "the standard"

At least that's my opinion.

They are the standard in the sense that the market lives and dies by CGC's opinion.

Whether CGC's standard is consistent or not is a different point altogether.

imho the grading has been almost as strict as it was in 2001-2002. Right now I'm hesitant to send any 9.8s for ss. Some of the 8.5 mags i have got back look a lot better than 8.5 but it is what it is.

Amen!! Couldn't agree more

meh...every sub I've ever done has had books that could go either way. I've had 9.6's that I felt could've been 9.8's and 9.8's that could've been 9.6's.

(shrug)

I heard they call you even Steven

That's not what I've heard.

That's funny...couple of years ago I looked at CGC's 9.8s and they wouldn't pass 9.2 mustard for me.

Norm: [referring to Vera lunching with the wives of his bosses] She just didn't pass muster.

Woody: Well maybe she couldn't reach it. lol

I like my CGC grading like I like my women...

NCB spine ticks on a 9.8, yep they're allowed. Seen lots of examples of this with as many as 4 between 1/16 and 1/8". Possible they were pressed and reappeared post grading. Seen a few that break color too. Pre-screen helps cut down on the 9.6 return rate but I have a feeling it also cuts down on the loose 9.8's you could potentially have received.

Seen many 9.6's with only a couple of visible NCB spine ticks. Those won't stay in 9.6 slabs for long. resubs = more money for CGC.

Walked away from a few 9.8's with 1/4" edge and corner creases that break color (SCS or poor grading). Those will likely never be cracked out.

I've seen some better looking 9.8's with no notes, no apparent flaws, better centering/wrap and White pages vs a 9.9 with 1/8" miswrap and Off-White to White pages.

Too bad they don't allow for comparison grading as in: here's a 9.9 you graded in 2008 with OW/W pages and a miswrap and here's a 9.8 that looks in way better condition graded in 2016. Can I get the 9.9 or 10.0 grade bump by comparison on a regrade of the more perfect looking 9.8 with W pages?