• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading observations.....

38 posts in this topic

Anyone else feel that CGC has been grading VERY TIGHT the last couple months??

I just received about 75 back and feel rather disappointed (no, it's not my first sub)

There were a LOT OF 9.6 grades that "should", imo, have been solid 9.8's

Any thoughts other than my apparent sucky grading skills?!

My last sub was in Feb. and they were KIND of hard. I agree with you.

I got 7 out of the 30 books at a 9.6.

Had 2 or 3 even drop to a 9.4 (Oh heaven!) lol

I used to complain to my wife. (that didnt last long) :(

anyways

They do seem a bit picky over the past several months.....Part of the game we play...

My next batch should be done in a month or less...cross fingers.....

about 140 moderns and 41 silver age....I cant wait.

THANK GOD for the NEW NEWER CASE. :)

E

agree...the new cases look great!

I used to be able to discern a 9.6 from a 9.8

but not at this time.....maybe I'll just have to sub 9.9's hoping for a 9.8 lol

I don't want to appear like a complainer...just fielding opinions as to whether or not others feel the grading is stricter than in previous months...seems like with the changing of the guard the grading has gotten particularly tight

How many times to we have to endure these public complaints about CGC grading ? Tight grading is good for the hobby, good for the people that buy 9.8's. I'm sure you prescreened anyway so what's the big deal ? Sorry.

How many times to we have to endure these public complaints about CGC grading ? Tight grading is good bad for the hobby, good bad for the people that buy sell 9.8's. I'm sure you prescreened anyway so what's the big deal ? Sorry.

Couldn't disagree with you more as tight grading is just as bad as loose grading. :gossip:

Consistent and accurate grading is what is good for the hobby, as opposed to swinging between loose grading and tight grading to suit whatever your business agenda is at that point in time. (thumbs u

How many times to we have to endure these public complaints about CGC grading ? Tight grading is good bad for the hobby, good bad for the people that buy sell 9.8's. I'm sure you prescreened anyway so what's the big deal ? Sorry.

Couldn't disagree with you more as tight grading is just as bad as loose grading. :gossip:

Consistent and accurate grading is what is good for the hobby, as opposed to swinging between loose grading and tight grading to suit whatever your business agenda is at that point in time. (thumbs u

I agree with the above.

meh...every sub I've ever done has had books that could go either way. I've had 9.6's that I felt could've been 9.8's and 9.8's that could've been 9.6's.

(shrug)

I heard it was tight, but subbed a few books anyways.

Everything came back right @where I expected it to. Full disclosure, these were 4.0-7.0 SA Marvels.

With that brooding confidence, you're going to do very well in the grading contest coming up. (thumbs u

From your edit changes on my comments, of course the sellers want looser grading. Since we are viewing this from two different angles we will never agree. But putting a bad product into the marketplace is simply bad business. As a buyer, the worst thing I want to see when I buy a 9.8 is a softly graded 9.6. Eventually, the consumer stops buying. Let me ask you this, if you get a bad burger from a restaurant, how anxious are you to return ?

Of course consistent grading is best but difficult to achieve. I'm just tired of these individuals going public every time they get a rough submission. What's the point ?

meh...every sub I've ever done has had books that could go either way. I've had 9.6's that I felt could've been 9.8's and 9.8's that could've been 9.6's.

(shrug)

I heard they call you even Steven

Anyone else feel that CGC has been grading VERY TIGHT the last couple months??

I just received about 75 back and feel rather disappointed (no, it's not my first sub)

There were a LOT OF 9.6 grades that "should", imo, have been solid 9.8's

Any thoughts other than my apparent sucky grading skills?!

If you sell just add that to your listing like so many do and state that it should have been graded higher. It seems to be par for the course.

From your edit changes on my comments, of course the sellers want looser grading. Since we are viewing this from two different angles we will never agree. But putting a bad product into the marketplace is simply bad business. As a buyer, the worst thing I want to see when I buy a 9.8 is a softly graded 9.6. Eventually, the consumer stops buying. Let me ask you this, if you get a bad burger from a restaurant, how anxious are you to return ?

Of course consistent grading is best but difficult to achieve. I'm just tired of these individuals going public every time they get a rough submission. What's the point ?

From reading your post, it would seem that you feel there are only 2 angles to grading. One is tight grading which you feel is good because it favors you as a buyer of slabbed books. The other is loose grading which I assume you must feel is bad because it works against you as a buyer of slabbed books.

Now, if you was a seller of slabbed books, would you not feel the complete opposite would be true. As a seller, the worst thing you would want to see is to get back a tightly graded 9.6 which is actually a 9.8 book. That wouldn't really bother me so much since it is so close and grading is subjective after all. But how about a now tightly graded CGC 8.0 book which was once previously graded as a CGC 9.2 book? How anxious would you be to continue giving them business if you know that your books will come back to you being undergraded.

Although I do buy the occasional slabbed book and have yet to sell a single slabbed book, I feel there is a third angle to grading. Just grade the books on a consistent and accurate basis so that it is a good product for both buyers and sellers at the same time. (thumbs u

Keep the business side and egos out of it, and just provide the customers with a professional, unbiased, and independent grade for the book because that is what the customer is paying for. hm

(shrug)

I heard they call you even Steven

I heard they call you door knob :slapfight: