• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet 46th Editon & SA Keys: Changes in the Hierarchy?

77 posts in this topic

I don't know. I wonder whether the modern trend of title-rebooting has softened the interest collectors once had in getting the first issue of historic runs.

If anything, that softens the demand for non-keys in the 1-441 run, but everyone always wants to own a #1.

Yes. Which they can now do every other year or so!

I don't know. I wonder whether the modern trend of title-rebooting has softened the interest collectors once had in getting the first issue of historic runs.

If anything, that softens the demand for non-keys in the 1-441 run, but everyone always wants to own a #1.

In general, # 1 issues can still be a draw. Look at the Bronze Age Dr Strange # 1. It's the umpteenth appearance of the good doctor and although it contains some nice Brunner artwork isn't really all that noteworthy from a "key" perspective but people still want it.

Black Panther # 1 is another example.

Sometimes, people just want a #1 issue.

Absolutely. And I'm not saying ASM #1 will go down to nothing or be a non-key. I'm just saying it seems to me that #1s may no longer get pushed quite as hard as first appearances...which would result in a hierarchy shift.

Not well versed in the SA books, since I am much more familiar with the GA Top 100 myself.

Anyways, will still give a stab at the Top 10 for SA. I definitely see BB 28 moving alone into the Top 5 on its own. As for ASM #1, I see it dropping down to #7 spot behind JIM 83.

No other changes in the Top 10 and you can take it for what it's worth as I am not a tried and true SA follower. (shrug)

Spidey 1 will always hang in there. Collectors who worship AF15 normally want the 1st edition of his own title. I see it staying the same but not losing any ground. 2c

With the entry point of an AF15 now at 6K, ASM 1 is a very "affordable" option to those who can't afford an AF15. For this reason I believe it will have staying power.

And that's what I'm hearing lately too...for the past few months ASM #1 has been more requested at shows than AF #15 and people are having a tougher time keeping them in stock. As AF #15 get priced out of the budgets of a lot of people they are turning their attention to ASM #1's

Same as Iron Man #1....plentiful and neglected our entire lives but a collector can show a non collector his copy and the non collector doesn't have a clue it's not a TOS #39 but is equally wowed.

There is something to be said about that #1 in this hobby.

Jim

Not well versed in the SA books, since I am much more familiar with the GA Top 100 myself.

Anyways, will still give a stab at the Top 10 for SA. I definitely see BB 28 moving alone into the Top 5 on its own. As for ASM #1, I see it dropping down to #7 spot behind JIM 83.

No other changes in the Top 10 and you can take it for what it's worth as I am not a tried and true SA follower. (shrug)

Spidey 1 will always hang in there. Collectors who worship AF15 normally want the 1st edition of his own title. I see it staying the same but not losing any ground. 2c

With the entry point of an AF15 now at 6K, ASM 1 is a very "affordable" option to those who can't afford an AF15. For this reason I believe it will have staying power.

And that's what I'm hearing lately too...for the past few months ASM #1 has been more requested at shows than AF #15 and people are having a tougher time keeping them in stock. As AF #15 get priced out of the budgets of a lot of people they are turning their attention to ASM #1's

Same as Iron Man #1....plentiful and neglected our entire lives but a collector can show a non collector his copy and the non collector doesn't have a clue it's not a TOS #39 but is equally wowed.

Jim

Bingo! Similar to the Action 1/Supes 1 and Tec 27/Bat 1 effect. Been saying this for the past few years now.

The detractors will say that Supes 1 is super difficult to find, hence the extra bump in value. They will also say that Bats 1 is the 1st Joker and 1st Catwoman (aka The Cat, as she was called in this issue) so its valuable by its own merit.

Still, its difficult to imagine a hobby in which rabid fans will not want the #1 issue of the most popular character to come from the Silver Age of comics.

Jim

Bingo! Similar to the Action 1/Supes 1 and Tec 27/Bat 1 effect. Been saying this for the past few years now.

The detractors will say that Supes 1 is super difficult to find, hence the extra bump in value. They will also say that Bats 1 is the 1st Joker and 1st Catwoman (aka The Cat, as she was called in this issue) so its valuable by its own merit.

Still, its difficult to imagine a hobby in which rabid fans will not want the #1 issue of the most popular character to come from the Silver Age of comics.

No doubt it is a key book - but I don't expect it to rise in the top 20 rankings this year. There are more important and better books in the silver age that I think will see an increase - like BB28, SC4 and 22 (although SC22 growth has been more recent so may not be captured this year), I also think TOS39 and DD1 could see some movement.

Jim

No doubt it is a key book - but I don't expect it to rise in the top 20 rankings this year. There are more important and better books in the silver age that I think will see an increase - like BB28, SC4 and 22 (although SC22 growth has been more recent so may not be captured this year), I also think TOS39 and DD1 could see some movement.

+7% & #9 unchanged, +5% and #33 up from #34 respectively

Jim

Is this in code? hm

Jim

Is this in code? hm

Decoder ring says: tos 39 went up 7%, but did not go up in the top 20 silver age rankings, remaining as the 9th most valuable Silverage book.

Dd1 value went up 5% in value and moved up one spot to the 33rd most valuable silver age book.

Jim

Is this in code? hm

Decoder ring says: tos 39 went up 7%, but did not go up in the top 20 silver age rankings, remaining as the 9th most valuable Silverage book.

Dd1 value went up 5% in value and moved up one spot to the 33rd most valuable silver age book.

(worship)

Well, since I don't really follow the SA market, I guess I must have luck onto these changes in the SA Top 10 hierarchy since they were bang-on. Must go out and buy myself a lotto ticket now. :wishluck:lol

Yet, it's ironic that I follow the GA and my guesses there were dead wrong. For example, I expected 'Tec 31 to have the biggest percentage increase out of the books in the GA top 100. The 2015 guide had this book listed at $13K in 2.0 grade or a PPP of only $6.5K per point, when it was actually selling in the range of $15 to $20K or more on a price per point basis. Yet, it increased by a measly 14% at top of guide even though the GA sales listing documented 4 sales, with all 4 selling at more than double the new 2016 condition guide price. :gossip:

Go figure that one out, Bob!!! doh!lol

Well, since I don't really follow the SA market, I guess I must have luck onto these changes in the SA Top 10 hierarchy since they were bang-on. Must go out and buy myself a lotto ticket now. :wishluck:lol

Yet, it's ironic that I follow the GA and my guesses there were dead wrong. For example, I expected 'Tec 31 to have the biggest percentage increase out of the books in the GA top 100. The 2015 guide had this book listed at $13K in 2.0 grade or a PPP of only $6.5K per point, when it was actually selling in the range of $15 to $20K or more on a price per point basis. Yet, it increased by a measly 14% at top of guide even though the GA sales listing documented 4 sales, with all 4 selling at more than double the new 2016 condition guide price. :gossip:

Alright no more teasers from the new guide - someone post the 2016 top 20 versus the 2015 top 20 :sumo::grin:

Maybe OAAW 83 will go up a spot or so.

OAAW 83 went from #18 to #15, the largest upwards jump in spots (+3) within the top 20. Its price increased by 22%.

Not surprised. 83 is moving up without any movie hype- must boggle the minds of the speculators and investors. The SA is not only the era of the superhero- but the greatest era of the war book. 83 is the biggest war key ever. Also doesn't hurt that it is the scarcest SA key that presents quite a challenge for the SA portfolio collector. One of those book that a buyer with deep pockets can't simply get one in mid grade or higher on demand. This kind of variation makes aolving the SA key puzzle fun. Next stop for 83 is the top 10 of the OSPG top 20 SA keys.

OAAW 83 went from #18 to #15, the largest upwards jump in spots (+3) within the top 20. Its price increased by 22%.

Not surprised. 83 is moving up without any movie hype- must boggle the minds of the speculators and investors. The SA is not only the era of the superhero- but the greatest era of the war book. 83 is the biggest war key ever. Also doesn't hurt that it is the scarcest SA key that presents quite a challenge for the SA portfolio collector. One of those book that a buyer with deep pockets can't simply get one in mid grade or higher on demand. This kind of variation makes aolving the SA key puzzle fun. Next stop for 83 is the top 10 of the OSPG top 20 SA keys.

Yes, similar to how Pep 22 was finally able to climb into the Top 10 of the GA Top 100 after many continuous years of selling for multiples to guide across all condition grades. For decades, Overstreet always had Pep 22 and Archie 1 at the exact same pricing level which made no sense at all as it did not represent what was happening in the marketplace. Definitely no longer the case as Pep 22 is now at $280K while Archie 1 is left behind eating its dust at only $175K. It should be noted that both of these books are the only 2 non-super hero books to make Overstreet Top 20 GA list. hm

Sgt. Rock's time to shine in the sun will come, but it looks like it will still take awhile yet as it has a lot of distance to go in order to catch up to the SA Top 10. (thumbs u

Alright no more teasers from the new guide - someone post the 2016 top 20 versus the 2015 top 20 :sumo::grin:

No one has the top 20 list from the 2016 Guide?

Yes, similar to how Pep 22 was finally able to climb into the Top 10 of the GA Top 100 after many continuous years of selling for multiples to guide across all condition grades. For decades, Overstreet always had Pep 22 and Archie 1 at the exact same pricing level which made no sense at all as it did not represent what was happening in the marketplace. Definitely no longer the case as Pep 22 is now at $280K while Archie 1 is left behind eating its dust at only $175K. It should be noted that both of these books are the only 2 non-super hero books to make Overstreet Top 20 GA list. hm

Sgt. Rock's time to shine in the sun will come, but it looks like it will still take awhile yet as it has a lot of distance to go in order to catch up to the SA Top 10. (thumbs u

I like the comparison you make. it's important to recognize the non-superhero books from both Ages and great for collecting overall.

Top 20 here ya go!

1. Amazing Fantasy #15

2. Incredible Hulk #1

3. Fantastic Four #1

4. Showcase #4

5. Brave and the Bold #28

6. Journey into Mystery #83

7. Amazing Spider-Man #1

8. X-Men #1

9. Tales of Suspense #39

10. Tales to Astonish #27

11. Avengers #1

11. Showcase #22

13. Flash #105

13. Justice League of America #1

15. Our Army at War #83

16. Adventure Comics #247

16. Showcase #8

18. Fantastic Four #5

19. Action Comics #252

19. Strange Tales #110

Top 20 here ya go!

1. Amazing Fantasy #15

2. Incredible Hulk #1

3. Fantastic Four #1

4. Showcase #4

7. Amazing Spider-Man #1

8. X-Men #1

9. Tales of Suspense #39

11. Avengers #1

11. Showcase #22

13. Flash #105

15. Our Army at War #83

16. Showcase #8

18. Fantastic Four #5

19. Action Comics #252

19. Strange Tales #110

Can you add the new values and price increase percentages for the top 10? As I expected ASM 1 has gone down a few notches I believe one day maybe 10 years from now it will no longer be in the top 10.

Top 20 here ya go!

1. Amazing Fantasy #15

2. Incredible Hulk #1

3. Fantastic Four #1

4. Showcase #4

7. Amazing Spider-Man #1

8. X-Men #1

9. Tales of Suspense #39

11. Avengers #1

11. Showcase #22

13. Flash #105

15. Our Army at War #83

16. Showcase #8

18. Fantastic Four #5

19. Action Comics #252

19. Strange Tales #110

Can you add the new values and price increase percentages for the top 10? As I expected ASM 1 has gone down a few notches I believe one day maybe 10 years from now it will no longer be in the top 10.

1. Amazing Fantasy #15 NM- $260,000, Increase 8%

2. Incredible Hulk #1 NM- $180,000, Increase 20%

3. Fantastic Four #1 NM- $135,000, Increase 13%

4. Showcase #4 NM- #100,000, Increase 25%

5. Brave and the Bold #28 NM- $72,000, Increase 20%

6. Journey into Mystery #83 NM- $66,000, Increase 10%

7. Amazing Spider-Man #1 NM- $62,000, Increase 3%

8. X-Men #1 NM- $46,000, Increase 5%

9. Tales of Suspense #39 NM- $45,000, Increase 7%

10. Tales to Astonish #27 NM- $42,000, Increase 5%