• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official - Post Your 2016 SDCC OA Reports Here !!!!!

153 posts in this topic

I assume you blew by what you paid for the Action 15?

Surprisingly no, thank goodness. I can't wait to get it framed.

A Frazetta oil painting (and a relatively well known one at that) went for less than what you paid for the Action 15 OA?

:o:o:o

He may just mean the cash component was less, if it was cash and trade.

Nah, I'm sure that it cost less than the Action. Not all Frazettas are $300K-up. My friend bought a well-known, published '60s magazine cover Frazetta oil less than a year ago in the (low) $100Ks.

There are even sub-$100K Frazetta oils out there. Not great ones, of course, but they are out there.

I believe this one was offered for $100k or less a few years ago....

147_FromDuskTilDawn-e1322355970361.jpg

That`s so bad it`s almost Boris-esque.

Definitely scraping the bottom of the Frazetta oil barrel, which the Spider Man painting most definitely is not.

So can someone explain to me, who doesn't know OA dealers, how these guys are able to make such a business model work? I know the comic dealing business fairly well, and know that most comic dealers are so thinly capitalized that they have to move their inventory and can't afford to sit on five-figure, let alone six-figure, books for years and years.

Even if these big art dealers got into a lot of their premium inventory at a relatively low price, they've got to eat, finance acquiring new inventory, etc., right? How can they afford to carry inventory for years? Yes, I can understand that they can acquire some new inventory through trade, but you can't eat art. At some point, some has to be converted to cash.

So seriously, is this just a lot of frustrated hyperbole, or are these guys independently wealthy (which is the case with several of the comic dealers who are able to sit on their inventory indefinitely), or have they secretly invented a new business model that somehow doesn't require cash or turnover?

I think most comic dealers are grinders, whereas, as r100 said, the biggest OA dealers have been sitting on collections/inventory that has appreciated so much that they can get by not constantly turning over inventory. And, most comic books are lower-ticket items, whereas the top OA dealers traffic mostly in 4, 5 and 6-figure pieces where the margins are fatter. I think they're able to convert enough to cash to pay expenses and keep adding inventory as well. Despite the high prices, deals still get done and dealers also consign to auction houses regularly to keep the cash flow coming in.

Actually, I think it's going to be a double-edged sword when the dealers who keep marking up stale inventory year after year actually do look to cash out at market-clearing prices, as that's probably as good a sign as any that the market is going to roll over. Obviously it's not happening yet, though!

Flipper!

I would have snapped it up at that price had I seen it...and displayed it on my wall for decades to come. :makepoint:

Gene, I think the more appropriate response given the circumstances would've been "in your dreams!".

Actually, I think it's going to be a double-edged sword when the dealers who keep marking up stale inventory year after year actually do look to cash out at market-clearing prices, as that's probably as good a sign as any that the market is going to roll over. Obviously it's not happening yet, though!

Normalcy bias always bites the dealers and Houses in fine art, why should comic art be any different?

If Richard got that Spiderman painting for less than Action 15,"all in", I think he got a very good deal. Maybe not a "great steal", but very good deal. It's a notable painting, just no girls and not Conan or DD. But still..very, very good :)

oh wait you mean this one. All time classic congrats (worship)

frank_frazetta_spiderman.jpg

Spider-killing-man, spider-killing-man, does whatever spider-killing can...

That must have cost a few shekels. Can't wait to see it Richard.

I assume you blew by what you paid for the Action 15?

Surprisingly no, thank goodness. I can't wait to get it framed.

(thumbs u

What are the dimensions Richard, if you don't mind me asking? (terrific piece whether a postage stamp or a billboard, but curious). And how did you get a livable deal from Metro? :insane:

Bedrock City SDCC art report...

We worked our a deal with Metro for the Frazetta Spiderman painting. We probably gave up too much but I have always wanted a Frazetta and I am super excited.

(worship)

What are the dimensions Richard, if you don't mind me asking? (terrific piece whether a postage stamp or a billboard, but curious). And how did you get a livable deal from Metro? :insane:

It is 20.5 X 16, pretty good size for a Frazetta.

And Metro is very easy to deal with...if you lay the Texas charm on thick enough.

What are the dimensions Richard, if you don't mind me asking?

Richard is probably too modest but I have heard it's massive. :grin:

:blush:

And Metro is very easy to deal with...if you lay the Texas charm on thick enough.

great long term buy....cong

(thumbs u(thumbs u

Big congrats

I had an excellent time at SDCC looking through tables and tables of OA. Not a lot of new stuff, but I found a few gems that hadn't made it on to dealers websites yet. Mostly because I'm on the low end dollar wise of collecting and those pieces don't rank in importance of posting online. That being said, I bought a lot more than I expected and filled a few holes in my collection. Eventually I'll have it all scanned and up on CAF.

I was not as successful on the commission side though. Those lists filled up super fast and thanks to Southwest's technical issues I didn't arrive until later on Thursday.