• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official - Post Your 2016 SDCC OA Reports Here !!!!!

153 posts in this topic

Didnt that one win a nebula award? I think that was maybe the best single sandman story I ever read. Great pick up.

Same here, one of my favorite single issues. But Sandman is weird. I'd rather have a nice interior vs a cover. (not that i can afford either)

Dave McKean's art is just so different and, to my memory, his covers were only tangentially connected to the stories inside, that this is the exception proving the rule that a painted cover to an unpainted issue is superior (usually by orders of magnitude).

That is a great piece and a better example of grinding out a great piece of art for a reasonable price (assuming that based on your pricing posts) through hunting, friendship, networking, etc. Congrats - I would be thrilled with that piece as well. U dun well

Super reasonable on pricing. When he mentioned that they had considered a somewhat higher price and settled on a lower one, all I could say was..."Well then, I guess I'll have to take it ..." lol

"this" being this piece or Dave's art in general in your opinion? I like Dave's art in general, but when it comes to this piece I have a hard time getting excited about collage. However I can definitely understand being attracted to having the piece used on a really well known story, whatever that piece is like.

That is a great piece and a better example of grinding out a great piece of art for a reasonable price (assuming that based on your pricing posts) through hunting, friendship, networking, etc. Congrats - I would be thrilled with that piece as well. U dun well

Super reasonable on pricing. When he mentioned that they had considered a somewhat higher price and settled on a lower one, all I could say was..."Well then, I guess I'll have to take it ..." lol

:insane:

I have had that happen a couple times. What a great feeling to hear - congrats!

oh wait you mean this one. All time classic congrats (worship)

frank_frazetta_spiderman.jpg

Spider-killing-man, spider-killing-man, does whatever spider-killing can...

That must have cost a few shekels. Can't wait to see it Richard.

I assume you blew by what you paid for the Action 15?

Next year we need to do a roll call before Comic-Con. Had no idea that Chris and others were going to be there.

It was a 10 year absence for me. That time of year is usually an enormously busy time for me in my practice, blowing most of a week isn't normally in the cards. Without some very good friends who wouldn't take no for an answer, and helped me with hotel and other arrangements, my aversion to unwashed masses would have probably kept me away for another 10 years.

the color contrast really works on that one yeah. The green bubble of... spider venom (?)... and green in the arms and legs working against all the blood red everywhere. Very nice.

The main draw or benefit to Comic Con as a hub for art collectors is the commissions, and getting them direct from artists. Most of the working top tier artists only do commissions at shows in the spirt of fandom, setting aside their schedule, and unable otherwise to do "at home" commissions which gets in the way of their scheduled obligations to publishers.

That in itself, and the opportunity to meet the very artists you collect their masterpieces of, is what makes Comic Con great more as an experience than a buying opportunity. I know Comic Con features lots of throwback veteran guests as well as current hot creators, with lots of new faces and tomorrows talent today. I remember meeting Jaime McKelvie, Josh Howard and Tara McPherson early on when they were in the small press area, then witness their growth in popularity.

is it worth it for the commissions? I've heard the opposite. hard to get lists are even harder to get on here. price markups. and the guest list wasn't that much greater than for other larger shows.

I'd love to attend one year, but from what I've read / heard, it wouldn't be the con to go to primarily for the art.

i did not attend this year. as I have been shut out the past 5 years and I live in southern cali. I waded thru about two hundred you tube videos hoping to see some art, all I saw was mostly insufficiently_thoughtful_persons taking about all the hot toys and hot tv shows and movies.

the media. movies and toys are taking over comic con and they will soon force out the comic and art dealers as there are more and more toys companies that will want space there.

also it does not help to see scalpers of tickets on craigslist. ebay. stub-hub. and yet I cant get one ticket just for my self. so iam pretty much done with sdcc as I hear if you don't get a ticket your chance of getting one is next to none due to some code on the back of the ticket which pretty much secure you a ticket for next year.

so until I hear of another con where they have OA dealers. here in cali, I guess I been spending my funds online, unless sometime in the near future we get are west coast comic art con. can someone make

Larry.

Wonder con much better...true comic con...coming in april

Lone SDCC acquisition – Carlo Pagulayan

Set this up through Kirk a few months ago. Carlo really delivered on this – my latest Larkin addition. I am getting it inked up and will post a better pic once I have it back.

Thanks to Ken Martin for the assist at the show!

https://thejadegiant.wordpress.com/2016/07/24/carlo-pagulayan-takes-hulks-hamburger-at-san-diego-comic-con/

carlo-pagulayan-feeds-hulk-a-hamburger-at-sdcc.jpg

the color contrast really works on that one yeah. The green bubble of... spider venom (?)... and green in the arms and legs working against all the blood red everywhere. Very nice.

You know what would be interesting to see, and maybe its already been done before, but a commission of Boris' interpretation of one of Fraz's key paintings?

By popular demand, here are photos of Bechara's booth. And before anyone else asks, I don't have any other booth photos, I don't know any prices and that's the largest the photos get!

photo 20160723_150209.jpg

photo 20160723_150206.jpg

photo 20160723_150202.jpg

photo 20160723_150152.jpg

photo 20160723_150147.jpg

He does have some nice stuff. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Very nice pieces. And I know some of the prices. Oddly, that's what kept me from asking about more prices. lol