• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official - Post Your 2016 SDCC OA Reports Here !!!!!

153 posts in this topic

Oh, I would be remiss if I didn't applaud Profiles in History's superb, first-class display of much of the Frazetta, Wrightson, BWS, Kaluta, etc. art that's coming up for auction. Just a jaw-dropping, stunning set-up! :applaud:

Gene in my opinion the set up was one of the best presentations ever at any SDCC... Jaw dropping to say the least.. It helps to have a knock out catalog... Super and some of the best art collected I have ever seen... Also the way it was set up with display cases where you can really get a good look at the art. They are going after ha with a vengence... However I suspect they are going after the ultra high customer....the real issue is how many of these pieces are really gonna sell with ha having some additional wrightson coming at the same time ... sorry to have missed you..

A lot of foot traffic but are they comic book or art collectors... We are getting less and less .. My 2 cents... Toy collectors seemed more and very hot at Sdcc. Folks the issue here is it a comic con

As for my show thoughts, the biggest takeaway was the limited attendance among OA collectors. Unfortunately, it's so hard to get tickets and hotel rooms nowadays that I think many collectors were either shut out and/or just decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Or, at the very least, that they didn't feel like they had to go every year and took this year off. For me, commuting in from my parents' house, the parking situation on Wednesday was so bad (especially since I saw that one major outdoor lot had been turned into a exhibition area) that I ended up carpooling on the way down on Thursday and Saturday with a friend and then taking car service back home. The show really is a lot of work.

Anyway, I was talking about the situation with one of the biggest OA dealers on the floor, and he totally concurred with my assessment. He's going to lobby the con with a proposal to provide a way for people who spend real money to be able to secure tickets and rooms. I wish him luck with that. He also feels that the hobby/business would be better served if comics and comic art were put together. With the exception of Anthony and ComicConnect, all of the other OA dealers are at the completely opposite end of the enormous convention floor. I don't see that changing, though.

Neither The Brit (perhaps the most prolific buyer at SDCC in recent years) nor The Vacuum were in attendance this year. I heard one mega-BSD cancelled his plans to attend at the last minute; he might have salvaged some dealers' shows, but, alas...

I heard of one big Silver Age deal that got done, dealer to dealer (effectively). One big dealer I talked to said he made a number of lower and medium-end sales, but no really big sales that he was hoping for. Another big dealer said flat-out that he had a lousy show. Seems like Mitch made a number of sales early on, as I kept running into people who had bought stuff from him. Apparently there was a number of reasonably priced pieces that sold, presumably early on Wednesday as I arrived before the show started and didn't see any of these pieces (I ended up buying a small illustration piece from Mitch on Saturday, which was my only buy of the show).

Tickets getting harder to get … difficult logistics to attend … prices rising exponentially. Of the three, I think the pricing is far more the barrier to selling than anything else. I have never attended SDCC due to the cost and logistics but I do plan to catch a show at some point. When I go, I probably won’t be much of a buyer on published stuff (likely a few commissions) because of the price. I don’t see the logic of paying more to get to a show and having a really hard time getting there just to pay an exorbitant price surplus. Is the bubble about to burst?

And what is a BSD, Brit, and Vacuum? (I need an OA lingo education apparently)

Didnt that one win a nebula award? I think that was maybe the best single sandman story I ever read. Great pick up.

Same here, one of my favorite single issues. But Sandman is weird. I'd rather have a nice interior vs a cover. (not that i can afford either)

Gene in my opinion the set up was one of the best presentations ever at any SDCC... Jaw dropping to say the least.. It helps to have a knock out catalog... Super and some of the best art collected I have ever seen... Also the way it was set up with display cases where you can really get a good look at the art. They are going after ha with a vengence... However I suspect they are going after the ultra high customer....the real issue is how many of these pieces are really gonna sell with ha having some additional wrightson coming at the same time ... sorry to have missed you..

Mitch, sorry to have missed you as well - unfortunately it was a much shorter trip for me due to other scheduling commitments. We will definitely catch up in person the next time I'm in town (probably February). (thumbs u

As for Profiles, I agree - one of the best ever presentations. It looked classy, professional and expensive, with everything framed or in a glass display with elegant title/artist/estimate cards accompanying the art. Gorgeous art and beautiful presentation - first class all the way.

Apparently SDCC is raising the price for vendors 15% next year so its going to be interesting to see who continues to set up next year and if so, how many booths they set up with. Considering this is a trend that is only going to continue, I wonder how many comic art (and comic book) dealers will actually continue set up at this show over the next 5 years, especially given the lack of sales being made at the show.

Apparently SDCC is raising the price for vendors 15% next year so its going to be interesting to see who continues to set up next year and if so, how many booths they set up with. Considering this is a trend that is only going to continue, I wonder how many comic art (and comic book) dealers will actually continue set up at this show over the next 5 years, especially given the lack of sales being made at the show.

And honestly, for most of them, they will see those choices as the only two choices (not set up, or set up and continue with the same selling model) and not consider something to actually spur sales at the show...like not marking up what didn't sell last year by 100% and still not sell it this year.

Bedrock City SDCC art report...

We worked our a deal with Metro for the Frazetta Spiderman painting. We probably gave up too much but I have always wanted a Frazetta and I am super excited.

i did not attend this year. as I have been shut out the past 5 years and I live in southern cali. I waded thru about two hundred you tube videos hoping to see some art, all I saw was mostly insufficiently_thoughtful_persons taking about all the hot toys and hot tv shows and movies.

the media. movies and toys are taking over comic con and they will soon force out the comic and art dealers as there are more and more toys companies that will want space there.

also it does not help to see scalpers of tickets on craigslist. ebay. stub-hub. and yet I cant get one ticket just for my self. so iam pretty much done with sdcc as I hear if you don't get a ticket your chance of getting one is next to none due to some code on the back of the ticket which pretty much secure you a ticket for next year.

so until I hear of another con where they have OA dealers. here in cali, I guess I been spending my funds online, unless sometime in the near future we get are west coast comic art con. can someone make that happen. ;]

Larry.

On a more positive note....I found a few pieces at the show that were reasonably priced and items I've wanted for some time.

One was an Alex Horley painted cover. I had read a copy of "Draw" magazine about 10 years ago that featured Alex's work. He had painted the cover to that issue and several on the interior along with a great interview with him.

When I saw Alex was set up at SDCC I went to his booth, he and I and Stacey Walker struck up a conversation about art and licensing and a bunch of other topics. I mentioned I would love an example of his work. I mentioned the "Draw" magazine, but couldn't remember the title.

As I paged through his portfolios I came across the image on the cover and I said "Here, this print is the image I am talking about." They said that it WAS NOT a print, but the actual original art to the cover.

I was shocked he had not sold it over the last 10 years, but it turns out that it was one of Alex's favorites and he kept it for himself until deciding recently to let it go. What good luck....

Here's the piece:

Horley%20Draw%2013%20cover%20art014_zpsezifnlvj.jpg

Here it is published:

Draw%2013%20pubbed_zpso3qxr2ek.jpg

Thrilled to have found this....as Gordon Gecko used to say...

good%20day_zps5x9dqltr.gif

That's awesome. So nice when you like something off the beaten path and can find. (thumbs u

Now slap yourself for not being able to tell between a painting and a print :foryou:

lol

You would have done the same.

It was in a portfolio with pencil prelims, and prints and originals mixed in.

Shocked he still had it and it wasn't on the wall instead of in a book on the table.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that the plastic pages in the portfolio made it hard to get a good look at the surface. I don't want to have to book a flight to Chicago just to slap you - in lieu of you slapping yourself :insane:

Seriously though, great piece and congrats :foryou:

That is a great piece and a better example of grinding out a great piece of art for a reasonable price (assuming that based on your pricing posts) through hunting, friendship, networking, etc. Congrats - I would be thrilled with that piece as well. U dun well

We worked our a deal with Metro for the Frazetta Spiderman painting. We probably gave up too much but I have always wanted a Frazetta and I am super excited.

No. Way. Did you really?

If so, that's awesome, especially how we kept talking about it all weekend. :)

Congrats!

-Will

Can't wait to see it.