• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First CGC Book, is it really a 9.8?

29 posts in this topic

Hello,

This is my first CGC book and I purchased it off of e-bay.

By the way I made my first submission to CGC, 15 book, this week.

After looking over this book I see is round corners and color breaks on the spine?

So I ask, is this really a 9.8?

Thanks for any help.

CGC_Front_zpswstsjbgx.jpeg

IMG_0589_zpsylgtiyuv.jpg

IMG_0588_zpsizbmfp25.jpg

Ok, it does say "#129 or #200 graded for Wizard VIP Program", so it was not like someone purchased this and submitted it. It had to be submitted directly from the manufacturer.

Thanks for the info.

Ok, it does say "#129 or #200 graded for Wizard VIP Program", so it was not like someone purchased this and submitted it. It had to be submitted directly from the manufacturer.

Thanks for the info.

]

Yes. And since you can see the serial number ending in "129" that all 200 copies were probably submitted at once.

Yes. And since you can see the serial number ending in "129" that all 200 copies were probably submitted at once.

Ok, great info never realized "serial number ending in "129" that all 200 copies were probably submitted at once."

Thanks again.

Ok, great info never realized "serial number ending in "129" that all 200 copies were probably submitted at once."

Thanks again.

I'm just mixing an assumption with some common sense.

I was kinda surprised by these numbers.

In the number of 9.8s?

I looked at e-bay for other listings of 9.8 and it seems like hey have rounded corners, must be common for this run.

I'm surprised there are over 850 submissions of a modern. Then again, I am out of touch with the modern market.

In the number of 9.8s?

I looked at e-bay for other listings of 9.8 and it seems like hey have rounded corners, must be common for this run.

I'm surprised there are over 850 submissions of a modern. Then again, I am out of touch with the modern market.

I deal primarily in copper and moderns and yeah, I'd agree that 850+ subs for a common/run of the mill modern would be unusual.

This book isn't a run of the mill modern, though.

1)

It is a Turner variant cover.....Turner covers on almost any book have pretty much always been in demand.

2)

It is a relaunch and it is the 1st appearance of the Red Hulk...collectors typically are drawn in by relaunches, 1st app.'s and #1's.

Refer to the price points for Batman 1 new 52 and all of the variants for that book...and again, the same has been repeated for batman #1 Rebirth and its' variants.....ugh.

I actually was too burnt out on buying moderns to stock up on Batman Rebirth 1's, Harley Rebirth 1's and so on....but those that did so, will surely cash in on their slabbed 9.8's, soon enough.

3)

The standard cover of this book sells for about $75-$150* slabbed 9.8.....HG raws usually sell for $10-$30 (last I looked)

4)

The less limited variant covers of this book sell for between $100-$300* (slabbed 9.8 copies)

*Ballpark numbers, I didn't check GPA....but I do remember that Hulk 1 (1st Red Hulk) was a very hot book, for quite a while.

It's a production issue. That's how the book was manufactured.

What you are seeing is not "wear and tear".

Agreed. However, I never liked the fact that CGC effectively ignores production issues. IMO, a crease is a crease no matter how or when it happened. Customers, like the OP, expect a 9.8 book to look good in the slab. In this case, you are better off buying a raw and saving the 9.8 premium.

Agreed. However, I never liked the fact that CGC effectively ignores production issues. IMO, a crease is a crease no matter how or when it happened. Customers, like the OP, expect a 9.8 book to look good in the slab. In this case, you are better off buying a raw and saving the 9.8 premium.

Yes, I see 9.8 on the listing and only a picture of the cover I didn't expect to see round corners when I got it, plus this is my first CGC book.

In the number of 9.8s?

I deal primarily in copper and moderns and yeah, I'd agree that 850+ subs for a common/run of the mill modern would be unusual.

This book isn't a run of the mill modern, though.

1)

It is a Turner variant cover.....Turner covers on almost any book have pretty much always been in demand.

2)

It is a relaunch and it is the 1st appearance of the Red Hulk...collectors typically are drawn in by relaunches, 1st app.'s and #1's.

Refer to the price points for Batman 1 new 52 and all of the variants for that book...and again, the same has been repeated for batman #1 Rebirth and its' variants.....ugh.

I actually was too burnt out on buying moderns to stock up on Batman Rebirth 1's, Harley Rebirth 1's and so on....but those that did so, will surely cash in on their slabbed 9.8's, soon enough.

3)

The standard cover of this book sells for about $75-$150* slabbed 9.8.....HG raws usually sell for $10-$30 (last I looked)

4)

The less limited variant covers of this book sell for between $100-$300* (slabbed 9.8 copies)

*Ballpark numbers, I didn't check GPA....but I do remember that Hulk 1 (1st Red Hulk) was a very hot book, for quite a while.

First appearance of A-Bomb as well, I believe.

Yeah, I mean a crease is a crease right? Does CGC seriously ignore production issues?

If this book fell straight off the press into a CGC holder and it had a crease, or jagged edges, or blunt corners, why would that qualify it for a 9.8, if it looks the same, submitted from some everyday collector 5 years later, and it gets say a 9.0?! That don't make sense.