• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First CGC Book, is it really a 9.8?

29 posts in this topic

It's a production issue. That's how the book was manufactured.

What you are seeing is not "wear and tear".

Agreed. However, I never liked the fact that CGC effectively ignores production issues. IMO, a crease is a crease no matter how or when it happened. Customers, like the OP, expect a 9.8 book to look good in the slab. In this case, you are better off buying a raw and saving the 9.8 premium.

Yeah, I mean a crease is a crease right? Does CGC seriously ignore production issues?

If this book fell straight off the press into a CGC holder and it had a crease, or jagged edges, or blunt corners, why would that qualify it for a 9.8, if it looks the same, submitted from some everyday collector 5 years later, and it gets say a 9.0?! That don't make sense.

Read this:

Wolverine 35???? Tough to find in high grade?

I would say this is a result of mass submission for a "purpose" of marketing where CGC just took a stack and said yep. Look like 9.8's to me.

Not sure how that would get a 9.8 otherwise.

Anything connected to mass submissions are suspect in my book.

Graded for the "wizard VIP program"

I would say this is a result of mass submission for a "purpose" of marketing where CGC just took a stack and said yep. Look like 9.8's to me.

Boooo!! That's not good.

Yup, my thought exactly.

It's a production issue. That's how the book was manufactured.

What you are seeing is not "wear and tear".

Agreed. However, I never liked the fact that CGC effectively ignores production issues. IMO, a crease is a crease no matter how or when it happened. Customers, like the OP, expect a 9.8 book to look good in the slab. In this case, you are better off buying a raw and saving the 9.8 premium.

Yes, I see 9.8 on the listing and only a picture of the cover I didn't expect to see round corners when I got it, plus this is my first CGC book.

Lessons learned: always demand larger pictures of both front AND back covers...and then if you agree with the grade after microscoping it, do it. In short, corroborate with yourself as well, it's your money.

There are tons of 9.8s in the census of issues that are technical upgrades (it says so on the label) of books I like but I'll never buy them because I do not agree with the grade.

Lessons learned: always demand larger pictures of both front AND back covers...and then if you agree with the grade after microscoping it, do it. In short, corroborate with yourself as well, it's your money.

There are tons of 9.8s in the census of issues that are technical upgrades (it says so on the label) of books I like but I'll never buy them because I do not agree with the grade.

When you say "There are tons of 9.8s in the census of issues that are technical upgrades (it says so on the label) of books" you mean this on the label?

#129 or #200 graded for Wizard VIP Program

When you say "There are tons of 9.8s in the census of issues that are technical upgrades (it says so on the label) of books" you mean this on the label?

#129 or #200 graded for Wizard VIP Program

I was speaking about books I pursue, not yours. I was trying to let you have a walk through my eyes and shoes. Sucks I know, but I offered it.