• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular Golden Age Opinions Thread!
9 9

628 posts in this topic

1. Lou Fine doesn't do anything for me. What's his best cover Hit 5? Fantastic 3? That's the best you got? I never cared for his composition or his inking.

:o I think you just upset Jon Berk, Steve Cary, Myself, and quite a few others. :baiting:

BTW Hit # 5 and Fantastic comics # 3 are two of my faves in my collection,among other Lou Fine books.Wonderworld # 7 , # 8, Hit # 11, etc. :sumo::sumo:

Hahaha... I don't dislike Lou Fine's work. There would simply be a long line in front of him if I were to compile a list of favorite GA artists.

Comments on a few opinions in this thread:

1. Love the Sub-Mariner... he's a timeless anti-hero. The way he was used in the FF and a number of the Sub-Mariner issues of the late 60's and early 70s are a testament to his strength. Babyface and heel in one!

2. Mask 1 over Mask 2. Mask 1 was the book that I flipped over when I saw it in a CBG in the early 90s and it was the first GA book I purchased (and still have). One of my favorite GA covers, if not the top!

3. Weird Mysteries #5: It's more than just monkey brains! Read the interior! It's my favorite PCH book

4. Have to agree about Horrific #3. The War Fury cover is far better, and pretty much all of Heck's covers for Horrific are better than that one.

5. Also have to agree that the best covers of the 30's were on pulps.

MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS

9. Briefer is one of the best storytellers and illustrators of the Golden Age. If you don't believe me, check out Frankenstein #18 on. Some really great stuff.

10. I don't like any Atlas covers that aren't full bleed. For instance, not fond of the ones cut into vertical panels or ones with the three inset boxes.

11. Jack Cole doesn't get his due. Every time I look at the interior work that he did on Plastic Man, I'm just blown away. I do wish he worked on bigger characters... his legacy would have been different.

#9 - 11 are popular with me!!

Jack Cole was truly one of the giants, not just of the Golden Age, but throughout the history of comics. I think the reason he doesn't get the attention he deserves is that reviewers just don't take comedy seriously. Look at how few comedians were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor. In the comics field, look how reviewers focus on only part of the work of another giant, Carl Barks. They will endlessly discuss the brilliant "Only a Poor Old Man" because of its character study and ignore two decades of 10 page Donald stories in WDC&S, many of which are written and structured in a way that would have done credit to film auteurs like Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton. Oh, well, at least Jack and Carl's memories are being preserved decades later, while many more prominent names of their times are long forgotten.

Oops, forgot this was an unpopular opinions thread(which I hope the above will not be). Better throw in:

I agree that the main reason Kirby's work in the Golden Age gets so much acclaim is because of his work in the Silver Age. Otherwise, he'd be just another of the better artists of the 40's.

MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS

9. Briefer is one of the best storytellers and illustrators of the Golden Age. If you don't believe me, check out Frankenstein #18 on. Some really great stuff.

I realized that is faint praise. Briefer was one of the best storytellers and illustrators in comics history. The comedic Frankenstein stories are great, but he really hit another level with those later Frankenstein stories (beginning with #18). Tremendous work!

MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS

I realized that is faint praise. Briefer was one of the best storytellers and illustrators in comics history. The comedic Frankenstein stories are great, but he really hit another level with those later Frankenstein stories (beginning with #18). Tremendous work!

Not faint praise from me; I love his Frankenstein stuff best - not so much the humor (although some of the Prize art is sensational) but the horror stuff is way, way underrated.

People are missing out by not reading Supersnipe. The stories are more fun to read than 95% of all other GA books.

There. I said it.

Go make a run on eBay and pick up a copy

Agreed.

MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS

Not faint praise from me; I love his Frankenstein stuff best - not so much the humor (although some of the Prize art is sensational) but the horror stuff is way, way underrated.

I picked up the Yoebooks collection based on Briefer's reputation. The early horror stuff had a cool vibe, but didn't stand out, the humor stuff did nothing for me, and the later horror stuff was okay, but still a bit disappointing. I can respect Briefer, but I'm not really a fan.

People are missing out by not reading Supersnipe. The stories are more fun to read than 95% of all other GA books.

There. I said it.

Go make a run on eBay and pick up a copy

The covers always looked kind of blah to me, so I've never looked at any of the stories - are they Sheldon Mayer Red Tornado good, or just better than average, because if we are going to be honest, 95% of GA stories are chore to read, even if the art is compelling.

Jack Cole was truly one of the giants, not just of the Golden Age, but throughout the history of comics. I think the reason he doesn't get the attention he deserves is that reviewers just don't take comedy seriously.

I had no idea that he was a comedian, given that the work I've primarily seen from him has been in True Crime, and Web of Evil.

He had a very specific style, and I certainly would rate him up with second tier artists (those below Al Williamson and Frank Frazetta), such as Joe Maneely at Atlas, Bob Powell at Harvey, or Joe Kubert at St. John.

Worst artist; prolly Jack Katz at Standard, although he had company, esp a few from Atlas, and Stanley Morse's stable of hacks.

Not GA, but I thought his First Kingdom stuff was kind of cool.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Ha, I had to get over how bad I thought that was to appreciate his pre-code work. That's one thing interesting about this hobby, even when you like the same creators or characters as someone else you can disagree on the particulars.

Here's my unpopular opinion of the day Sprang > Jerry Robinson (who nonetheless is under appreciated for his Atlas War stuff)